“Great staff; great policies, need healthier offerings”

Elmer's Restaurant - Grants Pass
Ranked #6 of 207 Restaurants in Grants Pass
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: A Northwest favorite since 1960. Our 25 locally owned Elmer's Restaurants take pride in their communities and source local, farm-fresh ingredients.
Key West, Florida
“Great staff; great policies, need healthier offerings”
Reviewed September 8, 2012 via mobile

We visited in grandparents' weekend and all kids were receiving free meals, a very nice offering by Elmer's. However, in looking for something light to eat the lighter meals were all very heavy by my standards. My husband had the prime rib dip sandwich and the meat was well done which was OK if he liked it that way. One gentleman had ordered the prime rib dinner and it looked well prepared at medium rare so it would seem sandwiches could be that way too. French fries were soft on the insides. Tomato-basil soup was very thick, would have made a great pasta sauce but needed to be thinner. Small salad had olives and croutons, which is OK, but either make your own croutons or don't have them. Please try to have lighter fare that actually is lighter and healthier. I would have loved to have had a choice of small carrots with some dip (lite salad dressing) or small plain popcorn :).

Olympia, Washington
“This one should be passed up”
Reviewed September 6, 2012

After placing our order, I had the Hungry Rancher and the other half had the German Pancake, it took another 20 minutes for it to arrive at the table, Long enough to drain a cup of coffee and two glasses of water. When our orders did arrive, hers was missing the pancake. Something about putting powdered sugar on it and they had to make another one ... fine. However, we bother order our eggs over easy and they came sunny side up ... I think. I've haven't seen eggs this badly done since my old hangover days - of my youth. The bacon was crisp, it was way to over cook to be anything else! Looked like it sat around for a while. I was about to spear a greasy sausage link when, from my left side, came an arm followed by the armpit, which was in my face.

The waitress(?) Had reached across my plat of food to pour more coffee into the cut I emptied a half hour before. It is obvious she learned her craft working in the county jail. The ham slices? I am sure there is ham in there, somewhere, pressed in with all the other *meet*.

To be fair the other half did complain about the eggs and the manager did offer to replace them. She (the manager did discount the pancake for being late). But ... we are on a road trip and I wanted to get through the pass some time that day. I was not going to hang a round, so the Marx Brothers sisters could have another go at the eggs. How hard is it to cook eggs to order?

Avoid this one. Try eating at the local speedy mart - you'll get better service.

• Visited September 2012
Seattle, WA
“Good food, good value”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I've eaten here twice in the last year and I've enjoyed my meals both times. The service was good - a little slow but it was a Sunday late morning and they were packed so I expected that. The manager stopped by to check in on us and that was a nice surprise especially as busy as they were. The food was very good quality and the portions were huge. I would definitely come here again.

• Visited August 2012
Graham, Washington
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“vacation”
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Food is great something for everyonefrom organic green salads to homestyle mashed potatoes and gravy pot roast; service is wonderful as well.

Visited July 2012
Ashland, Oregon
“Lame Franchise”
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Okay, my expectations were low as I've eaten at other Elmer's locations. We tried this one because we were on the road and had a coupon. They didn't even meet my expectation of average for the typical lame freeway dining franchise.

We had the coupon on the table when the waitress arrived. She stared at it with a frown before taking it with a disapproving huff. When she returned to take our order she just stood there with her pad and pen without saying a word. My wife planned to wait her out but I placed our order.

Our breakfast took way too long for a very empty restaurant. The country fried steak w/gravy was terrible. The hash browns were not crispy as I requested (although few restaurants make an effort to meet this request) and the biscuit was dry and obviously warmed in a microwave. To their credit, my wife liked her German pancake.

It's also worth mentioning the industrial size TP dispenser in the tiny toilet stall prevented me from having a pleasant bathroom experience. And I think the fly buzzing around the dining room had accompanied me in the bathroom.

Not that I expect the Shari's restaurant right next to this Elmer's to be any better but there are other options at this Grant's Pass freeway exit.

• Visited August 2012