“Hospitality with a view”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Riverside Inn

Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Grants Pass
Dulles, Virginia
“Hospitality with a view”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

I just completed my second trip to Grants Pass, Oregon - staying at the quaint Riverside Inn, which sits on the shores of the Rogue River in the downtown area of that small town. My company brought 11 injured vets from the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq to enjoy a fishing trip on the Rogue, and staying at the Riverside Inn was the perfect start to this adventure. The entire staff was looking forward to our arrival, and one member even took the time to write notes of appreciation to each service member complete with a small box of local toffee. The rates are great, the rooms were recently remodeled, there is a nice complimentary breakfast - but there's one thing that will keep us coming back...the hospitality of the Riverside Inn staff.

Room Tip: All rooms have a balcony that overlooks the Rogue River.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
RiversideInn, General Manager at Riverside Inn, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
It’s always a great pleasure having your group here and we were all so happy to have you back again this year! Our Human Resources Manager is a proud veteran, she is the one who likes to go out and find the toffee and write you your thank you cards. Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, thank you for returning to Riverside Inn for a second year in a row, and I’m already looking forward to welcoming your group again in 2014!

Best wishes,

Riverside Inn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
Abbotsford, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

Overall the stay was good, nice clean rooms and nice views to the river at the back. Pretty central location wise, could walk to most of the venues that we needed to go to.

However what pushed this from a good stay to a great stay was one very accommodating staff member, Gloria I believe, elderly lady working the night shift. We were returning from a wedding reception and we being quite loud, instead of scolding us Gloria offered us the breakfast room where we could continue the celebration. Won't forget it!

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
RiversideInn, General Manager at Riverside Inn, responded to this review, October 26, 2013
We really enjoyed having your wedding party here and are so glad to see that you enjoyed your stay as well! Thank you for mentioning Gloria’s and her creative thinking on how to make everyone in the hotel happy! She’s a great member of our team and we’re lucky to have her! I will certainly be passing your comments along to her. The next time you find yourself in the area, we would love to welcome you back!

Warm regards,

Pasadena, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013

The Riverside is probably the best place to stay in Grants Pass and is beautifully situated on the Rogue River at Caveman Bridge. If you ask for a third floor room, it will be like being in a tree house during the summer. We were there during the Big Windy fires and had to make very last minute adjustments to our reservations because our river permit was cancelled by the BLM and we were scrambling to make other plans. The Riverside waived all minimum stay requirements and let us make reservations that suited our needs in this area emergency. It was very helpful. The only negative is that there are no laundry facilities, not even in walking distance. For an area that has so much outdoor activities, it would be helpful to have a couple of guest washers and dryers. I ended up walking to my brother's to use his facilities.

Room Tip: Third floor, Fifth Street end.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your second review for us! The smoke caused by the forest fires made for a lot of last minute changes to vacation plans for many people and I’m glad to see we were able to help you out. The smoke has since cleared, so it’s a good time for a return trip!

Looking forward to seeing you in the future,

Grass Valley, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

We had a deal on our room so I won't be too critical. All rooms are overlooking the river but the scenery is just okay. The balcony wasn't inviting for sitting and the room was rather plain and a bit dark. The hotel has seen better days and isn't quite as appealing as the photos would indicate. Although it is on the river, the area between the hotel and the historic downtown is somewhat seedy and doesn't invite walking. The staff is very pleasant and they have a typical morning continental breakfast. So overall, I can only give this hotel an average rating but wouldn't discourage travelers from staying here if you want a decent overnight stay and can get a good discount. They do give you a 25% discount coupon for a future stay at one of their partner hotels.

Room Tip: Top floor for better view and less noise from rooms above.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
RiversideInn, General Manager at Riverside Inn, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
Thank you very much for your review. I’m sorry you didn't find your balcony as inviting as most others do, I wish I could tell from your review what room you stayed in so I could investigate it more. Many guests stay at Riverside Inn to be able to sit on their balcony and watch the river rush by, so I’m sorry to hear that you weren't able to enjoy it as much as you should have been able to. I’m happy to see that you would recommend us to others and I hope that you yourself decide to stay again the next time you’re in town! If you do, please contact me personally so I can handle your reservation for you and give you suggestions about the area! Thank you again, and I hope to welcome you back soon!

Best wishes,

Carmichael, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

Visiting family in GP from Sacramento was made even more enjoyable thanks to The Riverside Inn. The room with private balcony looking over the Rogue River was a delightful retreat. The room was lovely and comfortable, and the deck was the best! The deck is large enough to sit out on with several people, sip a cool drink and chat with the soothing sound of the river in the background. It felt like a little vacation. Breakfast was nice, with waffles made by a sweet young lady.

The staff at the front desk were friendly, helpful, and offered free popcorn - yummy.

Room Tip: I enjoyed room 256
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
RiversideInn, General Manager at Riverside Inn, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
It’s so nice to see that you enjoyed your stay! We know one of the biggest draws to the hotel is the view of the river, so we’re always happy to to hear people enjoyed catching up with friends while enjoying the view from the balcony. I hope you’re able to make your way back through Grants Pass again soon. Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your stay!

Take care,

Modesto
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

The overall rating of this property is based on the AARP walk up rate charged on a Sunday night. At a lower room rate, the property would have been a better value and received a higher rating.

The Trip Advisor web site indicated that rooms could be rented for as little as $65 per night. The best walk up rate offered was $118 plus tax (total $129.60). At this room rate, the property is only average in value. If you can get a room rate close to the $65 advertised by booking in advance, do so. Otherwise, you may obtain better value elsewhere. We had to accept the walk up rate because we did not expect to stay in Grants Pass that night and were too tired to shop elsewhere.

First, the positives about the property. It is located on the Rogue River and has a very scenic view out the room window. One can sit on a balcony and look out over the river. The location is excellent, within walking distance of the downtown. With the exception of one employee, all of the employees were very welcoming, helpful and friendly. They seemed to really care if I was a satisfied customer. When I checked out, I was asked about the room. When I said it was only ok, I was given a coupon good for 25% off on my next visit. The rooms are reasonably large and the beds are comfortable. I can understand how most guests appreciate the property.

Now, the negatives specific to our experience. This motel is in an older building. We could hear our neighbors talking and making noise on all three sides of us. I was awakened twice by neighbors. The carpet was a drab brown and unappealing. The furniture was spartan. There was no feeling of luxury.

When we checked in, the first room we were assigned smelled moldy, so I asked for another room. The second room smelled a little musty, but was tolerable. The bathrooms in both rooms I viewed, rooms 157 and 159, had small amounts of mold on the ceiling in the bath tub area. With the motel located in a humid area, extra effort is needed to keep rooms clean, fresh and free of mold. Based on the reviews of other writers, this problem may not be as big as I am making it. However, I am sensitive to mold, so it was big for me.

One of the two queen beds in our room had animal hair on both the bed cover and sheets. The other bed appeared perfectly clean.

When we checked in, we asked for nearby restaurant recommendations. Yes, I should have looked on Trip Advisor instead. But the locals usually know a good place to eat. The front desk clerk recommended 5 restaurants within walking distance. As it was Sunday, she did not seem to know that 4 of the restaurants were closed Sundays.

After taking delivery of our assigned room, we discovered that a lamp did not work. A maintenance person came over within 5 minutes and fixed it. The lamp was not plugged in. Yes, I felt stupid for not checking. I had assumed the bulb was burned out. What guest unplugs a nightstand lamp?

Finally, we were told at check in that there would be a bountiful free breakfast provided the next morning in the dining area located in a room above the driveway. It was emphasized that waffles would be served. I figured that with the free breakfast, maybe the stay would be a good value even at $118 per night. The two dining room attendants were very courteous and attentive young ladies. There was only one waffle iron for patrons to use to make their own waffles. Yes, there was a line waiting to use it. The remaining hot items available for breakfast were modest compared to other motels charging $118 per night. We decided to eat breakfast at a restaurant down the road.

The problems we encountered can all be corrected relatively easily by a more attentive management. Hopefully, by the time you rent a room, they will be corrected.

Room Tip: Look at the room you are assigned before you move into it. Identify potential problems like I did s...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for leaving your review, I love to hear all the details! It’s helpful to know where we have some room for improvement as well as where we’re hitting the mark! I’ve taken your comments about the issue with the restaurants recommended that happened to be closed since it was Sunday and am having the staff call all the local establishments to find out their winter hours. With Grants Pass being a summer town, it’s not uncommon for restaurants that have been open 7 days a week to change their hours at the end of season. I apologize for any inconveniences you faced.

With the rate discrepancy, I apologize again. Often on third party websites, we do have special rates run for slower occupancy nights. If the rate is mentioned, staff is instructed to merely verify the rate is showing available for that date and then of course to honor the rate. The next time you do come through, if you see a lower rate online than what is quoted, please, by all means, let us know and we will gladly honor the discounted rate!

I’ll be sharing your review with the entire staff so they can see how “it’s all in the details.” I truly appreciate your review and I look forward to seeing you again in the future! When you do come back, please contact me directly when making your reservation.

Warm regards,
Chiloquin, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013

We went to Grants Pass, Oregon to take a look around. We stayed at the Riverside hotel. We arrived 2 hours before check in, and they had our room ready and checked us in early. They told us at check in that they didn’t want us to smoke on the deck of the unit; we had to be at least 10 feet from any doorway.

When I asked where we could smoke, I was told anywhere on the side of the building that didn’t face the river; that included the parking lot and the pool area. At least they didn’t have that terse little note sitting on the check in desk. The staff was very friendly and helpful, informing us of the nearest restaurants in the area.

The hotel was situated on the Rogue River, and the room had a view of the river and the park that was across the river. It was a very pleasant setting.

The room was very plain but also comfortable. Our reservation included 3 nights. They had in room coffee, iron and ironing board, hair dryer and a small refrigerator. The freezer in the small fridge didn’t have enough power to keep my ice packs frozen. It kept the wine and cheese cold, but couldn’t freeze the ice packs.

The ice packs were for a torn ligament in the bottom of the foot, (plantar fasciitis) and I actually needed them. On the second night of our stay, I asked the front desk if they could place them in their freezer, which they were more than happy to do.

Since they told us that smoking was allowed in the parking lot, we used our car for the ‘smoking lounge’. The facility did have an elevator, but to use it, one had to go down at least 4 concrete steps to get to it, so I never saw anyone use the luggage cart that was available. In order to use the cart, one would have had to wheel it to one or the other end of the building to a curb; that would have been a long way to wheel the cart.

We also had to navigate these steps to get to and from our car. One night on my way back to the unit from having a smoke in the car, I stepped wrong and tripped down the steps landing on my knees on the concrete. Needless to say, this severely twisted my knee, and made for a painful day following.

After that, I decided that I would smoke on the deck anyway, to avoid any further injury. So, when I needed to smoke in the wee hours of the night, I used the deck and disposed of the butts in an efficient manner. No one made any complaints, so there was never an issue with it.

I saw at least 5 different dogs during our stay. My wife tells me that when she made the reservation that pets were not allowed. Yet, there were clearly at least 5 different dogs while we stayed there. I don’t know if the facility is pet friendly or not, but if you are considering a reservation with the family dog, call them and ask them; it may be pet friendly, (or there were a lot of people breaking the rules).

If the place is not pet friendly, then I assume that the staff really doesn’t care if you have a pet or smoke on the decks. No one ever said anything about the dogs, and no one complained about our smoking on the deck.

We used the pool area to smoke, since they had an ashtray there. When we didn’t use the pool area, we used the deck of the unit when we didn’t use the car. Oregon state law insists that smokers stay at least 10 feet from any door which is why they told us not to smoke on the deck since the deck is under 10 feet from the door. Fortunately, there was never an issue.

I would stay at this facility again. The staff was friendly and helpful, the unit comfortable, and the setting was very nice with a view of the river and all the birds that lived there. I recommend this hotel, even for smokers.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
RiversideInn, General Manager at Riverside Inn, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Wow, what a fantastic review! Thank you for putting so much thought and time into it. I passed on an extra thanks to the staff for freezing your ice packs for you, I’m glad to hear they were so accommodating. If you do happen to ever travel with a pet, please remember us. We have specific rooms which are pet friendly which explains why you did see guests with their dogs. And as stated, according to Oregon law, we do need to ask that people not smoke on their balconies. While I’m happy to hear you were able to be comfortable in your room and on your balcony as well, if the hotel becomes aware of guests smoking on the balcony we are required to ask that you stop. The smoke can go to other non-smoking balconies as well as into guestrooms which can result in a fee, which we don’t like to charge, but do inform guests of upon check in.

Thank you again for the time you took to leave your review, and I do hope you return to Riverside Inn the next time you’re through Grants Pass!

Best regards,