“Don't overlook this one!”
Review of Beacon Bar and Grill - CLOSED

Beacon Bar and Grill
Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: This is the current incarnation of Aja. The owner moved it and renamed it.
Reviewed March 1, 2013

I saw the good reviews here and I thought we should check it out. I had a faint memory of stepping foot into this establishment about fifteen years ago. Back then it was a dark, dingy place with old people hunkered around a bar with a grill behind it. When I walked in many of the patrons turned from the bar and stared at me as if I was from Mars. I thought it might be a quaint old greasy spoon but it felt odd in there and I left.

So it was with some misgivings when I took my wife out to eat at the Beacon Bar and Grill. I started feeling better as we pulled up and I could actually see the neat, well-lighted interior through the windows. Upon closer inspection when we entered I observed that the interior had been completely renovated. Very comfortable and clean. We were then seated by the owner. I can't remember his name but he was a very friendly and professional man. The atmosphere was classy and inviting. I appreciated the quiet instrumental music that provided ambiance without the annoying pop vocals that we usually have to endure in public places.

Our food was brought to us so quickly I almost thought we were the butt of a practical joke. Had they known we were coming and what we would order?. I was very pleased.

I had the ahi tuna with curry sauce and my wife had the spinach salad. We shared our entrees. I am pretty picky about restaurant food as I am a pretty good amateur chef myself. If I am going to spend money on prepared food I expect it to be special. I expect it to be better than what I can make myself withing a reasonable amount of prep time. The food and presentation was impeccable. Everything was very fresh and done just right. It had all the earmarks of a chef who really knew what he was doing and was enjoying doing it. It was delicious. We will be coming back and bringing friends. This kind of service and quality in a dining establishment needs to be rewarded by us locals patronizing the place. Goodness knows we have thrown away enough money in this town on disappointing experiences on restaurants that don't seem to care what they serve up.

Thanks Beacon Bar and Grill. We are glad we found you.

4  Thank Fatso85
There are newer reviews for Beacon Bar and Grill

Reviewed January 2, 2013

Ate there again in mid-November, but delayed giving an opinion (after giving a glowing review earlier in the year) to see what others recently said, i.e., was it a bad one-off night, or a restaurant depreciating in style and quality. As I can't tell from the reviews, I guess it was a bad night--entrees very much overcooked, with vegetables barely cooked at all. Servings did not come with all as listed on the menu, and had to ask twice. Oil used for frying was old, and had long since lost its clean fresh smell. Service was pleasant.

Reviewed November 23, 2012

Expected typical bar food and ran into a sophisticated, satisfying and fresh menu. Owners were sweet and seemed to have a following which is always a good sign! I cleaned my plate and would've loved to eat more.

2  Thank Lanajstew
Reviewed November 7, 2012

This place is a find. We've dined here a dozen times in the last 12 months, most recently last week. Dinner was excellent. Bites of cajun catfish were sweet and spicy, with mixed vegetables cooked al dante. Spinach and blue cheese salad with fresh hierloom tomatoes was refreshing. Pulled pork was melt in your mouth delicious. We like the simple menu. Service was fast and friendly. Beacon is now a regular date night dinner place.

1  Thank pete k
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Great food, attentive service, reasonable prices. As others have said, nothing special from the outside, but very pleasant inside. So glad we found this place, we will be back!