“Excellent Family Dining”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Every time our family travels thru Southern Oregon, we stop and eat at Taprock! Atmosphere is homey and the food is excellent.

Reviewed May 12, 2013

Something went wrong from 2012. Dry eggs and salmon, dry pastry also. Last year it was much better upstairs. We were seated downstairs this year and could not have been more dissapointed.

1  Thank Dennis K
Reviewed May 4, 2013

It started wonderfully! I was seated quickly on the gorgeous patio overlooking the river. My waitress Lisa was engaging and helpful, then they sent her home, and my second waitress Lisa was lovely. I started the meal with a Coconut Mojito. It was sweet and light, but not worth 8 bucks.

I ordered a Rogue Blue Cheese Burger and a Dr Pepper to replace my now empty Coconut Mojito. As Lisa was taking the menu, I got up to use the restroom and even said, “I’ll be right back.”
When I came back, my table was occupied by an elderly couple looking at menus. I went in and told the original waitress- who was the only person I could find-that I needed another table and I asked her please to NOT move the elderly couple.

As I am standing in the middle of the inside dining area, the second waitress walks by with the hostess and is telling her that my table actually wasn’t available. I interrupt them and say, again, please don’t move the couple just find me another table. The hostess walks off leaving me standing in the dining room wondering if I was suppose to follow her or not. She turns and I realize she is taking me to a new table. The hostess says as she shows me my new table, “Oh that happens all the time!!” I said, “Really? Double seating tables happens ALL the time? That seems really inefficient. “

Right then the original waitress is moving the couple to the table I was just shown.

Can we take a moment here to say, that we now have a hostess, two waitresses, a befuddled manager and three customers all standing next to an empty table for no apparent reason except that I don’t think the entire Taprock staff could find their backsides with both hands and a spotter. I apologize profusely to the older couple. There was no need to embarrass them or move them because the hostess is a dimwit.

The hostess leads me away, back to my original table and says smarmily, “There you got your table back” I said “I am not duly impressed that you moved the couple! It’s easier to fond a new place for me than even let them know there was a mistake.”
The little harpy sneered, “I DIDN”T MOVE THEM.” Then she stared me down like I was a bad dog dumping on her lawn.

The milquetoast manager came to my table and apologized, but when I told him that there really was no need to move the couple or for the hostess to be so rude, he merely looked at me with his reptilian eyes and repeated in monotone, “So sorry.” He obviously could not manage his way out of a wet paper bag, so I left it alone.

After my meal arrived, I had to request silverware, a napkin and the drink, that I had ordered prior to my table being given away. I waited ten minutes, and no silverware or napkin or drink. At this point it was an exercise in futility. I waited three more minutes and then just left the cold burger sitting on the table.

I drove straight to Blondie’s Bistro on G Street and had a lovely meal.

Taprock has been consistently disappointing in their inability to even attempt mediocre, not good, just mediocre service. I would go to every café, bar, and restaurant in Grants Pass before I would return to Taprock.

3  Thank Piercedlibrarian
Reviewed May 2, 2013

Taprock Northwest Grill has a perfect location. We sat by the window overlooking the Rogue. The view made up for the mediocre food and average service.
Our salads were pre-made and served on a chilled plate. I requested a spoon for my dressing, but our server forgot. However, she was friendly and pleasant.
Neither of us was wild about our entrees. I had rosemary chicken, which was breaded(!) with vegetables and red rose potatoes. How they managed to make rosemary chicken tasteless and greasy is beyond me,
The linguini with pesto was "so-so" according to my husband.
It's a shame that such a fabulous location and wonderful décor does not have a menu to match.

Reviewed April 26, 2013

My husband and I went for a light dinner. We each had a salad, and neither one of us were thrilled. The chicken on both of our salads was dried out. The entree's we saw looked a lot more appealing as well.
If the weather is good, eat outside with a river view. I think that's what we paid for.