“Quick Lie-Down Spot”

Shilo Inn Grants Pass
Ranked #13 of 18 Hotels in Grants Pass
Reviewed April 22, 2012

It was a short one night stay for us; a total of 6 people slept in two rooms. Judging from the layout and lighting of the building, I am betting that this facility was built in the 60’s. Inside was a bit of a maze; I got lost on my way to the lobby to get breakfast. It must be a dog-friendly place; I saw huge dogs who were accompanying their owners to the ice machine. Fortunately, I didn’t hear any barking.
Breakfast was offered but it was minimal and there really wasn’t a place to sit down and eat. The lobby is the breakfast area and the lobby itself isn’t big at all; if all 6 of us went to the breakfast at the same time, we would have created a traffic jam. McDonald’s next door was an attractive alternative but we settle down to bagels and coffee for breakfast. There is also a Taco Bell across the street but I am not sure if they offer breakfast.
We were traveling through and just needed a place to sleep and the hotel was ok for that purpose. But the half of the group said their beds had huge sag and it hurt their backs. In fact, they were complaining about their backaches all the next day. Because of that, I have to give them a 2 out 5.
My suggestion: if you are traveling through and need a reasonably priced quick lie-down spot, go for it. If you are looking for a base camp for business/fun around the town, look elsewhere.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed March 26, 2012

I called up the hotel as we were driving in the car. They quoted me a price and I asked if I booked on a travel site if they would get the reservation before I arrived. The gal on the phone was really nice and said she would match their price to make sure there wasn't a problem. The beds and shower was nice. Breakfast included some fruits, bagels, breakfast burritos, and juices.

Room Tip: This hotel was right off the freeway which was great. Dutch Bros was right around the corner, as we...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 11, 2011

Stayed at this Shilo on a road trip to So. California and was impressed with the welcoming reception from the manager (Mark, I think). Our room was spacious with two double beds, immaculate, and in a quiet location of the hotel. (No street noise though the hotel is just off the highway.) There was a steam room and sauna that we did not use but looked enticing. We found this place a good value and conveniently located next door to the Black Bear restaurant which we enjoyed. We will return on our next road trip.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed December 9, 2011

We were here on one our road trips this summer, the second or third time we've stayed here. It is just a quick overnight stop for us, so we look for cleanliness and quiet at a good price, and Shilo delivers. Just don't look for anything fancy. The continental breakfast is pretty basic, but there is a restaurant or two within a couple minutes walk if you want a hot meal.

I always look for a coupon online, this Shilo had one on one of the hotel coupon sites.

If you travel with a pet, there's good news and bad news. Shilo allows pets, but the pet fee is $25, which is a lot for a room in this price range. I know that someone snuck in a pet on one of our previous visit here, so if you have allergies like my wife, be aware that even if you ask for a room a pet hasn't been in, you might get one that it has been the temp home of a pet unbeknowst to the motel. That is my problem with the high fee - it encourages cheating. OTOH, you can try to negotiate with the clerk.

Room Tip: You might want to ask for a room way back away from the street, though we had no noise trouble with...
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 9, 2011

Where to start...

What an incredible experience. The owner was so friendly! We got a warm welcome and an excellent dinner recommendation when we checked in!

The hotel is situated in the heart of downtown, but it's off the street and removed down into a little valley, so it feels like you're in a park setting. It's quiet.

The rooms were clean, functional and spacious. All rooms are non-smoking (yay!) and the hotel is pet friendly. (Double yay!)

The continental breakfast was FABULOUS. Real quality food items that you would never see at another chain hotel. From the yogurt, to the breakfast burritos, it was excellent!

Oh, and the hotel is eco-friendly, and had organic soaps and shampoos. A+

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank DanFam3
Reviewed August 22, 2011

My family stayed at the Shilo Inn Grants Pass for one night before rafting recently. The Shilo Inn is only minutes from many of the rafting companies in nearby Merlin and offered great rates.

The hotel is older, and could use some updating. I was surprised to get an actual 'key' when checking in. The front desk was super friendly and check in was a breeze.

The hotel is built on a slope and there are a lot of stairways to navigate in odd places. Make sure to ask for a first floor room if you have mobility issues.

The room was spacious but very dated. The bed was unfortunately NOT comfortable. I had a very difficult time sleeping. They did not keep any extra pillows in the room (I did not call to request any so this might have been resolved; it was just so late and I was ready to go to bed). The bathroom was small but provided ample storage for longer stays. The AC worked great.

Included with the rate is a complimentary breakfast which includes coffee/tea/juice, cold cereal, fruit, yogurt, bagels, pastries and packaged breakfast burritos. Again, the front desk were present and very accommodating in the morning.

Unless they replace the mattresses, I do not think I could stay here. If a hard bed is something you can live with, I suggest this hotel for it's friendly service.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
shiloinns, General Manager at Shilo Inn Grants Pass, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2011

I am so glad to hear that you stayed with us during your recent trip to Grants Pass- Shilo Inns. I am very sorry to hear about the mattress not meeting your expectations. We have made some adjustments to our rooms, so that you might come back and sleep comfortably. We do have building maps available as we do understand that it can be difficult to get around. I was glad that we did provided you with the best customer service. I hope that you will revisit us soon.
Warm Regards,
Rebecca Walters

Reviewed August 13, 2011

I stayed here for one night as a stopover on a roadtrip. Unlike so many other places along the Interstate, this hotel is not right alongside the highway and is actually set back a bit from the street in Grants Pass. I managed to get a good rate online and found it good value. The room was decent sized and very quiet (I was facing the back, into a field I believe).

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank heliconone

I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us here in Grants Pass- Shilo Inns. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Shilo Inns partners with many online travel sites and would be happy to honor our lowest available rate on any of these sites through our 24 hour call center. We I hope that you come back and stay with us again and can enjoy our beautiful city and some of the wonderful attractions in Grants Pass.
Rebecca Walters