“Ruined Family Experience” 2 of 5 bubbles

Got a photo?
Add it.
Summit Ski Area
More attraction details
Owner description: The oldest ski area in the Pacific Northwest boasts a variety of snow sports including downhill skiing, snowboarding and cross-country.
Vancouver, Washington
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Ruined Family Experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2011

I took my family with children ages 5-10 to go tubing for the first time at $20 a ticket. Once tickets were purchased very little instruction was provided other than how to ride down the hill (and the 'ready, set, go!'). My kids went first and myself next. Given the icy conditions we all slid up the ramp and came close to a fence which is apparently 'against the unknown rules'. The "unprofessional" area manager, Derek, yelled at me at took my ticket for not knowing what I didn't know. I shortly found out that he yelled at my children and continued to yell uncontrollably at other families, children, and members of his staff. Needless to say we were immediately out $20 and another $60 since we all could not tube together nor wanted to stay. I shared this experience on a comment card with the front desk and fortunately it touched a very nice employee to go back and get my ticket from Derek (reason for rating it two stars). However we were over the way the egotistical manager was acting and left realizing it's 'toxic leadership' that will drive away any kind hearted employees. USER BEWARE: POOR ESTABLISHMENT & MANAGEMENT. Great place if you want to be yelled at and throw away your money, especially if pursuing a memorable after Christmas experience.

Visited December 2011
5 Thank JF848

Austin, TX
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Small and old school, just right for our family”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2010

With two kids (5 and 8 yrs) who have grown up in Texas and not used to snow, I was looking to take a day trip for them to play in the snow and do some snow tubing. Determined to not waste my day fighting long lines and crowded parking lots - bad memories from my last visit to Mt. Hood Meadows several years ago - I decided to give this small area a try.

We drove up from Portland a few days after Christmas and arrived at 9am. We were the first ones on the snow tube hill, and the parking lot was almost completely empty. Yes!!

There are 3 separate tube areas, but we only tried the largest one. I'd gone to Ski Bowl just once, a few years ago, and that one was probably longer. Apparently that one also now has some kind of lift/tow that brings you up the hill. This one was steep enough to give you pretty good speed towards the bottom, although the I was ordered to drag my feet to avoid going too fast - sort of a bummer. The price was $20 for anyone 5 and older. Seems a little expensive but ok for us since we don't make the trip up to Mt. Hood that often.

I did not try skiing, but whenever I looked at the lift I saw no lines at all.

The "lodge" is very small. Ski rentals, lift tickets, and a small grill are inside. Only seating for maybe 50 people I'd guess. But somewhat nostalgic too, the wooden interior reminds me of the one at Mt. Hood Meadows about 25 years ago before it got huge.

On this day there was not enough room for the holiday crowd though. There was only one cashier (who handled tube tickets as well as food orders) and one grill worker. I was happy we brought our own sandwiches to eat for lunch, until my family said they wanted hot dogs which I then spent around an hour waiting to order and pick up.

Overall the small size of the ski area was perfect for a quick family trip to do some snow tubing. If we try skiing next time I'm hoping that the lines are just as non-existent then too.

Pros:
+ short or no lines
+ one minute walk from lodge to car
+ reasonable prices

Cons:
- small, just one lift
- too small to handle lunch crowd

Portland, Oregon
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Great place for beginners and families”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2008

I took our grandkids skiing for the first time at Summit recently. I've been to Mt. Hood Meadows and other places and think this is an ideal place for beginners. There is one chairlift and there are several easy runs down with enough variety that beginners will get the hang of things without a lot of disappointment. We were there a Saturday and the lift lines were very short. There are nordic trails, as well (although I'm not sure if they're groomed or not).

In 2007 a lift ticket was $25/day ($18 half day) and equpment rentals were $20 with a group lesson for $10. However, $12 for an inner-tube rental seems a bit high (nevertheless it seems to be the going rate at Mt. Hood). There's a funky but pleasant eating area and they sell food, including espresso (didn't notice whether they sold beer).

Convenience-wise the main drawback might be the bathrooms, which are at the end of the parking lot. And, of course, any ski area in Government Camp will run out of snow earlier than Timberline or Mt. Hood Meadows in the spring.

I think it's a great value for the money.
[--]

1 Thank DavePortland1905
Lake Oswego, OR
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great beginner area!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2007

Summit was the perfect place to teach my daughter how to ski. She learned use of the chairlift, and their mild slopes were plenty challenging enough for her until she reached intermediate level. We bought 1/2 day tickets, (1-4pm, $18.00), which was plenty of skiing for her and was the most affordable option available on Mt. Hood. It was also a great practice are for me to learn to telemark.

2 Thank Bu0n0