“Great View, place is kinda shady”

Pacific Reef Hotel - Gold Beach
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Gold Beach
Worldwide
“Great View, place is kinda shady”
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I'll give them props for their ocean view and proximity to the beach. To call this place a "resort" is kind of shady. No pool or fitness room (maybe we missed it). We stopped into this roadside motel off the highway. We were attracted to the ocean view. The price was right so we checked in. The room was large and had a great private deck overlooking the ocean about 200 yards from the beach. The view was awesome. The part that wasn't...we specifically asked about the wireless before checking in. The guy said "you should have no problem". OK...we did have a problem. When we called the night guy... admitted that they were "upgrading the router" and he'd "re-boot it" for me...and apologized and without prompting...said "we've been working on this for a while". He said wait 10 minutes and try again...and that if that didn't help...go into the common area, it'll be better. He assured me that "the technician" would be there in the morning. Anyway..the internet sucked in the morning too. I would have rather had an honest answer up front...than to have to mess around with it all night and then again in the morning...especially if they knew it was bad. There were a lot of options on Gold Beach...next time I'll try another one.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
Bucks County, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 26, 2013

The condo room - or I should say apartment - is more than we expected. It is two floors with the first having a full bath, full kitchen with granite counters and table, and living area. The second floor has a full bath and the master bedroom. Both floors have doors that can be closed and locked inside the condo, separating them from the condo entry stairway.

There was a nice view from both levels over the grassy area to the beach. We did not go out to the beach since it was rainy and chilly and our main reason for the stay was just an overnight stop on our coastal ride. We were given coupons for $5 off each breakfast in the on premise Chowder House Restaurant.

My only disappointment was having "Short Sheets" in the bed. That happens when a flat sheet is used on the mattress instead of a fitted sheet. This results in the end of the mattress not being covered, exposing the mattress to the feet of tall folks.

And yes, the office is closed for the night with a security guard on the grounds who can handle any immediate problems. If you have any needs or concerns you would need to get them resolved before the clerk leaves. (Many hotel/motel offices are closed at night in smaller facilities.)

All being said we would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: The condo rooms cannot be beat for space and value.
1 Thank MikeInPennsylvania
Bend, Oregon
Reviewed April 23, 2013

I remember coming to Gold Beach as a kid and a few years ago I decided to come back and see what had changed. I decided to stay here because this location is where my family stayed all those years ago. I booked an oceanview room and was very happy with it. When I decided to come back again, I booked an other oceanview room, the offseason rate is a great price for the view you get. It was nice to sit out on the balcony and enjoy the sunsets. The staff was very helpful and nice. The only reason I do not come more often is that it is a nearly six hour drive to get there from where I live.

Room Tip: "Splurge" for an oceanview room
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
White City, Oregon, United States
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Booked a king room with ocean view. The room looked newly decorated, the bed was very comfortable, very clean. The wall facing the ocean was all windows, and what a spectacular view it was! The rate was VERY reasonable and I did not expect the level of quality for the price. The Chowder house restaurant was equally amazing. The crab omelette was delicious the space new and clean and the waitstaff was super. I can't wait to stay again!

Grants Pass, Oregon, United States
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I booked my room through the Pacific Reef Resort website. After reading the reviews about some rooms being outdated I specifically asked for an updated room, which I did get. However, the front desk staff was very Awkward. There was no continental breakfast they just give you a $5.00 off coupon for breakfast at their Chowder House restaurant, which was awful food and service. I had a coupon that I brought apon check in for $10.00 off an ocean view room they took my coupon but did not apply it towards my balance. The front desk staff is not available from some hours of 10:00 pm to 11:00am. Only a security person is avail. I called the front desk to ask a ? In the morning and just got a voicemail. Seriously. Also there was no hot tub so we had to sneak in to the hotel next door! The ocean veiw is covered by a field of over grown grass! I wouldn't stay here again or recommend it to anyone. I even emailed the resort to ask why my coupon wasn't taken off amy balance and got no response.

• Stayed April 2013
3 Thank TiffanyEllisWise
Camano Island, Washington
Reviewed April 10, 2013

We started our Spring break in Florence, did the sand dunes and were on the way to California’s redwood forest and on to the Oregon Caves. Our family of four was still grumpy from our budget rundown motel in Florence when, being tired, we decided to make a stopover in Gold Beach. It was refreshing being able to look onto the ocean as we parked at the Pacific Reef Resort to enquire about rates. We were shocked by how nice the rooms were considering that the price was even lower than what we paid in Florence and by being right at South Beach Park with short trails to the beach. The remodeled standard room was spacious, the windows large, and having a back window really helped to keep the room well lit. We got a breakfast discount at their restaurant, The Chowder House. We got started late, and even though their posted hours said breakfast served until 9:00, they were happily taking our order at 9:45 (I had never paid for my bill on an iPad before). Our two 8 and 10 year-old boys were so in love with the place they begged us to stay another night, so we stayed a second night at their two story condo. The boys were enthralled with the ability to get privacy at both the upstairs and downstairs areas. We appreciated the well tooled kitchen, great furnishing, even more spaciousness, the sparkling feel of the remodel, great beach view, still incredible rates, and even the custom photos adorning the walls. The experience was so comfortable that the kids wanted to stay put. Our spirits were so greatly lifted, that my wife was open to spending yet another night, so I had to be the bad guy and move us on to the rest of our planned vacation tour. Had we stayed, we would have spent some time in the condo common gathering area with their incredible burl wood wisdom chair. My wife really enjoyed the great service by the manager that we made it a point to stop by Kerby, Oregon, to see the source of the wisdom chair, and I still miss, of all things, the great kitchen knives that allowed me to pretend that I can cut like a pro.

Room Tip: We saw two standard rooms. The one with a tub had a nicer bathroom.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank 290CarlosR290
Oregon
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We were looking for an "average" hotel for 1 night and decided to try this one as the price seemed very reasonable and we were promised a room with an ocean view. Boy, were we ever in for a treat! The room was fantastic, it had all the amenities one could expect. We can't say enough good things about the wonderful staff. Both Molly and Logan are 5 star employees!! We were anxious to take some pictures of the sights from our room and had realized the batteries in our camera were dead. Within a few minutes Logan had brought some batteries to our room. We decided to stay for an additional night making for an even more pleasant experience. Another part of this fine establishment was the food at the Chowder House next door. Once again we were rewarded with 5 star food and service. We will be back soon. So much to see and do in Gold Beach and the Pacific Reef Hotel will make it that much more pleasant. Thank you all.

Room Tip: Rooms with an ocean view are quiet and the views are spectacular
1 Thank lstrong54