“Choose the rooms on the water!”

Pacific Reef Hotel - Gold Beach
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Gold Beach
Sherwood, Oregon
“Choose the rooms on the water!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

This was a nice surprise! From the outside, the hotel doesn't look like much. But, upon entering our room (224K), we were greeted with a HUGE upstairs room with vaulted ceilings. The king size bed was so comfortable and I was amazed at how much storage was available in the room.
The room had a refrigerator and a microwave, which made a quick breakfast easy (though they also serve a complimentary continental breakfast in the restaurant nearby).
The hotel offers complimentary DVD rental as well.
Our view was of the ocean. Even though you're not right on a sandy beach, you could still hear the ocean with the patio door open, and there was a walking trail (not long) right to the beach.
I can only think of one negative - for some reason, the shower curtain wasn't wide enough, so wouldn't cover the entire shower area. But, the shower head was awesome, and we didn't have a problem with water leaking onto the floor.
Wonderful place - we'll definitely be back!

Room Tip: Choose an oceanfront room in the back.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ORSUZ99

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
Montana
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012 via mobile

We needed a pet friendly room for our trip down the coast and chose this place. The room was small and the walls paper thin. I could hear our neighbors sneezing. The ceiling light from outside the room made it difficult to sleep (curtains would be an easy fix). The shower curtain reeked. I will not be coming back. Ps...do not spend the extra money on ocean front, it is quite a ways away.

• Stayed August 2012
3 Thank fussypants7
Gene P, Owner at Pacific Reef Hotel - Gold Beach, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Thank you FussyPants for choosing to stay in one of our pet friendly Economy Rooms. Our Economy Rooms represent the very best valued rooms on the Southern Oregon Coast that have direct beach access. Each room has been updated with new carpet, paint and beds. It would appear that one of our our Ocean Front Pet Rooms may be a better choice for you on your next stay. While the cost is just a bit more, the rooms are twice the size of our Economy Rooms and have breathtaking views of the Pacific. Safe travels.
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2012

My daugher and I recently stayed at the Pacific Reef Resort. When we first checked in we were pleasantly greeted by two ladies. Both were very friendly and professional. After checking in for one night, I decided to stay another night. Our same economy room was not available the next night but I was told that they would work on finding me a room and to check back in the next day to pick up keys for a different room. We were gone for most of the next day. When we returned to pick up keys, the same two ladies let me know that there was a problem regarding overbooking. I told them it was no problem I'm sure things will work out. They both were very appologetic and took full responsibility. They did there best to find my daughter and I another room. They upgraded our stay to a ocean view room with a balcany for the same cost as our economy room. We were very excited and appreciated everything they did to help us out! I would stay here again.

Room Tip: ocean view rooms on second floor. Excellent view of the ocean
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Sacramento, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

Lovely place to stay for one night on your way up or down the coast of Oregon....Just don't forget anything there because you might never get it back.... We left something and called the next day and they were unable to find the 2 down pillows we mistakenly left on the bed.....The ocean view is far away, but still lovely. The front desk staff was wonderful...

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nol7
Cosmopolis, Washington, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2012

My work and church co-worker and I found Pacific Reef on the Internet. We found it to be clean, close to the ocean, and near the center of town. The staff was especially fun to interact with, and they made every effort to make our stay a good one. I would stay with them again.

Room Tip: There is a room to fit your pocketbook!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Gold Beach, Oregon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

After making prior reservations, via Expedia, I came hundreds of miles to find that my reservation had been pushed out (not even sure how this can happen) and I was forced to find another hotel at the last minute, (thank you Gold Beach Resort). The same thing happened this evening except that I had walked the few blocks with my pet to make sure of my reservation this morning and the clerk at that time was helpful, apologetic and said that I could take the cottage. This was apparently in error, and after unpacking, taking a walk and then a much needed nap I was called by the manager to inform me that my pet was not allowed in the cottage, they had no other rooms so my pet and I would need to leave. After explaining my booking fiasco that I had already been through, to my complete surprise I was told it was my fault for using expedia and my pet was absolutely not allowed and to get out of the hotel. Seriously? At this further attack, I asked the manager too call the police which she refused and then informed me to step outside as she locked the lobby door on my dog and I in front of other customers. Fortunately, I had my cell phone in my pocket and I was able to contact the police who came and dealt with the unreasonable manager, (thank you Gold Beach PD) and have been taken care of by Jots Resort and Gold Beach Inn, big thanks and kudo's to both of these facilities.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Danyelle D
Gene P, Owner at Pacific Reef Hotel - Gold Beach, responded to this review, August 14, 2012
I'm sorry that you couldn't stay at Pacific Reef but we do not allow pets in most of our rooms. This standard cannot be amended due to travelers who are allergic to animals. You are more than welcome to reserve a pet room in the future by contacting the front desk prior to making your reservation. Safe travels.
Deerfield
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2012

We paid $189 for the "oceanfront" family suite. To our surprise the oceanfront was obscured by the next building over. Then we discovered that our top floor room did not have A/C. It was so hot in the room, we could barely stand it. It was so cold by the ocean that we nearly froze to death. The spa room had a small hot tub that was very disappointing. It was unfortunate that our first trip to the Pacific Ocean was at this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank JWnp77
Gene P, Owner at Pacific Reef Hotel - Gold Beach, responded to this review, August 12, 2012
Thank you for choosing stay at Pacific Reef. All beach hotels, as far as I know, on the Southern Oregon Coast do not install air conditioners. For 363-364 days out of the year we are cooled by the largest Air Conditioner known to man- the Pacific Ocean. However, occasionally one or two days in the summer can get very warm during the day and then cool around 6PM. Please accept our apologies and we hope that we will see you in the near future. You may find our Ocean Front Units more suitable for your travel needs. Safe travels.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gold Beach
#2 of 8 in Gold Beach
Azalea Lodge
Azalea Lodge
#6 of 8 in Gold Beach

Been to Pacific Reef Hotel - Gold Beach? Share your experiences!