“Super Fabulous, Clean and ON an amazing beach! And dog friendly!!!”

Inn of the Beachcomber
Ranked #5 of 5 Gold Beach B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 18, 2009

The staff is terrific at this hotel-ultra friendly and motivated to make your stay as comfortable as possible. I can honestly say I have never slept in a more comfortable bed in my entire life! There was a mountain of pillows on what felt like a feather bed and the sheets were crisp and welcoming after a long day of driving.
You would never know this hotel allows pets--there are a select number of rooms for pet families and the rooms are very clean, odor free and the room we were in had a large deck with a sliding door and an incredible view of the ocean. The dogs had a great time watching the deer roaming around in the morning while we drank our coffee.
Then enjoyed a terrific complimentary breakfast--actually took ours"to go" down to the beach--of eggs, biscuits (sausage & gravy if you want it!) , cereal, muffins and pretty much anything you could ask for! And "on the house"! Not your typical continental muffin and fruit breakfast which was a nice surprise.
The hotel also offers a complete variety of wines in the lobby area to save the weary traveler the trouble.
Really made our trip stress-free.
We live in Seattle which is home to great seafood and were almost stunned to find Gold Beach has a wonderful restaurant serving truly excellent seafood along with a variety of other fare sure to please anyone and a casual but classy and pleasant atmosphere. We had a beautiful view of the ocean and watched the sunset from our cozy table. Of course I can't remember the name of the place! But ask anyone in town or look for the place with all the cars). Try the almond encrusted halibut if it's in season--really delicious.
Thanks to the Inn of the Beachcomber for making our trip so enjoyable. We stayed there on our way down the coast and again on the way back up--even though we weren't originally planning on stopping in Gold Beach on our return--and will stay there anytime we possibly can.

• Stayed: June 2009
2  Thank suzyduzy

Reviewed September 6, 2009

My husband and I just returned from a 4 night stay at the Inn of the Beachcomber in Golds Beach. It is conveniently located on the southern end of Golds Beach just steps to the beach and minutes to the Rogue River. I will list the good, the bad and the ugly of this establishment.
The bad and ugly: (a) Overall the hotel needs general maintenance. The outside needs a new coat of paint and the rooms, although they were recently remodeled, suffered from paint knicks on the walls, stained carpet, slow draining sinks and for one customer, a leaky toilet. (b) it is a little bit of a walk to the beach and I highly recommend wearing pants and shoes when you go there. The beach is very rocky (good for collecting) and you must walk a long grass path that pricks your skin. I saw a brown film on the water - don't know what that was and did not ask (c) There lacks any proper ventilation in the bathroom - need I say more??? (d) it is located next door to a mobile home park (e) Housekeeping really only fixes the bed, empties the trash and stocks the room. Don't look for a daily vacuum or bathrooom scrub - you probably won't get it. (f) While the property has a pool and hot tub, it looked like it needed to be cleaned big time - did not go near it. The Good: (a) Nice location within minutes to the Rogue River, restaurants and the jets (b) Awesome breakfast - Not your typical continental but Fresh cooked eggs, waffles that you cook in a waffle iron, biscuits/gravy, fresh fruit and an assortment of muffins/danishes, cereals and yogurt (c) They allow you to borrow up to 2 free DVD's (d) The rooms are a good size - we stayed in a jacuzzi room on the 1st floor and you have a lovely view of the ocean (e) This room in particular had a microwave and fridge! (f) The beds here are the best!
Overall, we had a nice time and would recommend this establment to others - It's nothing fancy, but surely provides the comforts of home and then some!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RBHWalnut_CA
Reviewed August 9, 2009

After a horrid experience next door at the Gold Beach Resort we came over here and had a wonderful experience. This was actually our second stay and would absolutely come again. The jacuzzi suites are slightly small and the view is not perfect because there is actually another building before the beach starts. Also the balconies on the first story are actually visible from the lower level as well. That, however, is my only complaint about the entire place. The upstairs room where we stayed this time was spacious with a private balcony, amazing oceanfront view, fireplace and all new furniture. The beds are extremely plush and also brand new and the only noise was the sound of waves crashing on the beach. I highly recommend this place for the beautiful rooms, amazing staff, large heated pool, oceanfront location, and comparatively great price.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 6, 2009

We arrived late and even though the lobby was busy we were greeted warmly and were able to be in an ocean view room within 15mins. The prices were really reasonable for the services.
The room was welcoming, the high bed was one of the best in a motel we have ever slept in. The balcony with the ocean view was appreciated because it was partitioned from the other guests which served as a windbreak as well as privacy .
The full breakfast in the morning was also appreciated and the young man who worked there was really helpful.
There is access to walking on Gold Beach and I would highly recommend that guests take the time as it is worth the effort to become beachcombers.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 23, 2009

Have stayed here twice in 6 weeks; most comfortable beds have every slept in; room decor is beach cottage type; teak furniture ; complimentary breakfast - not continental - walk a few yards to miles of beach! Super nice staff - and owner as well : )
Flowers planted /. hanging everywhere, pet friendly - our doggies loved the beach right outside our room/ and the deer in the evening as well - indoor pool and jacuzzi - very clean - sunsets and lighthouse view awesome - will always stay here when we see family in Gold Beach ! Wireless in room and business lobby area as well - not to mention the array of wines one can purchase ! Zeke and Lindsey front desk check-in award to you!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Debbie C
Reviewed July 13, 2009

I came here for a weekend birthday trip. Upon checking in, the woman (per the other reviewers) charged my debit card for the night. Wonderfully, she accidentally multiplied the rate by TEN. That's right - $1,340 went immediately on my DEBIT CARD. Since I didn't have $1,340 to spare at the time, I was extremely distressed about this. She half-assedly tried to assure me it would be fine, and called the bank (they're closed on Saturday, whoops), before running through a refund and assuring it would all be fine, but of course, let them know if it wasn't. Well, YEAH, I'd let themknow in more ways than one.

Anyway, after that episode, we saw our room. It was, to put it gently, an example of pigs in satin, lipstick on a pig, etc. The "renovation" consisted of new bed toppers, a flat-screen TV (that's way too big for the room), and a hot tub on the deck. The hot tub on the deck would be an AMAZING place to retire for a few minutes, IF there were not a huge, flat-roofed building in front of you blocking most of the view of the beach and ocean (unless you stand on the railing; not advised) ((I guess the flat-roofed building is the old motel)). The bathroom was dirty, and the door latch was splintered and covered in some sort of dried substance (I didn't want to know). The room was very small. The translucent yellow windows to in the bathroom showcased a bunch of cobwebs and dead flies. Around 3 am, our neighbors returned from a night at the bars, drunk and extremely loud. I had the full-on flu by the time I left the next day, likely from the stress.

Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank porkchop11
Reviewed May 12, 2009

My girlfriend and I had planned a romantic weekend out of town and decided to head up the coast to Gold Beach, OR. I had heard good things about this place from a friend and decided to give it a try. We had a great time but I can see why some (based on other reviews) might have not liked the place.

We decided to reserve an Ocean View Spa Tub room at the Inn. The place is located right on Highway 101 on the south end of town and was very easy to find. Checking in was an interesting experience. The desk clerk had lots of information on the area and was very helpful. Though she seemed to be going through a script almost and I ended up getting far more info then I really wanted. During one of the pauses in her speech I asked her where the room was located and her reply was, "I'll get to that". I took her as being very friendly and helpful but I can see how some could perceive her as otherwise. However, the gentleman who checked us out and made the reservation was nothing short of spectacular.

The room was very easy to find. Our room included a microwave, mini fridge and a large LCD TV with a decent channel selection. The decor in the room was nice and had a rustic feel to it. The balcony for our room was very large and had a decent view of the beach and ocean. I say decent as the website pictures have all had the roof top of the bungalows (directly behind the rooms) edited out of them. This fact is more than made up for in my book by the close proximity to the ocean. It was great sitting on the balcony and seeing (and hearing) the waves crash onto the shore. There is also a trail behind the building that meanders down to the beach itself though we did not use it. The property also has a pool but we did not use it and from looks alone I would not recommend using it. It’s fully indoors and doesn’t look the best kept.

We did use the spa tub and it was fantastic! The tub is easily large enough for two people and is a triangle shape. I should mention that the tub is on the balcony and not in the room. No worries though, you have plant of privacy and solid wall partitions separate the room balconies. The tub includes jets which we used as we relaxed in the tub while taking in the ocean view.

The bed in the room was large, comfortable and had many pillows on it. There is plenty of furniture in the room including chairs and a desk. The bathroom was a tad dated and while it’s clear it has been renovated, don’t expect granite counter tops and such. Think more of a mid range Best Western style renovation (which this property was at one point) and you won’t be let down. The room was very clean and free of dust and mold which I am both allergic too. The only two issues in the room were; a sliding (wall pocket) bathroom door and that did not close easily and a toilet that you needed to jiggle the handle to get it to fill up again. The room also has a small gas stove heater though we did not use it.

Overall, we had a great trip. The room had a good view. The staff was friendly and helpfully. The place is very close to the ocean and the room was clean and comfortable. We loved the spa tub on the balcony as well. If you are expecting a decent room where the view and a relaxing night away are the focus you should enjoy it. If you are expecting top notch facilities and amenities this is not the place for you. Based on price alone I would not recommend this hotel for travelers passing through who just want a bed. If you took the view away and consider the price I’d bet there are cheaper options in town for the same type of room. But if you are a couple with reasonable expectations looking for a great romantic ocean getaway I highly recommend the spa rooms.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple