“Bad Decision to Stay Here”

Inn of the Beachcomber
Ranked #5 of 5 Gold Beach B&B and Inns
Tampa
“Bad Decision to Stay Here”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Great views of the ocean, convenient to Jerry's Jet Boats and Spinners Restaurant. That's all the good I can say about this place. Reminded us of a 1950's hotel right off Daytona Beach. Ancient door locks, the toilet was so dirty, I had to clean it myself (Did not want to disturb the desk-They didn't appear to care we were there when we checked in), the pool looked dreadful, and the breakfast (if you could call it that-a waffle maker and some pastries and a little orange juice) was not exactly a bargain. The reviews we read before booking were ok and helped us decide on this location. However, pay heed to the recent ones, they reflect the current state of this facility.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere when in Gold Beach. Spinners Restaurant was excellent. Jerry's Jet Boats is a mus...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank daveandm

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Grants Pass, Oregon, United States
Reviewed August 11, 2013

this place is a joke.from the beginning I went in to check in & there were 4 different parties in the office & 1 clerk.people were being helped in no particular order.a friendly female came in & asked if I had been helped I said not yet and she said she would love to but her job was cleaning rooms.we went to the room and the beds were so high one almost needed a stool to get in bed.Laid on the bed spread and noticed several very ugly stains.(see photo)we arrived Fri.afternoon and left sun.am.we took a walk on the beach for 50 min.at about 8: 15 am on Sun am and check out was 11:am.upon arriving back to our room.when we opened the door it felt very hot in the room.I looked at the thermostat and it was at 75 degrees I had a xm portable radio set on the heater as we were listening out on the deck.it got so hot there was a smell of plastic.we had never used the heater as it was fairly warm at that time.the room cleaners were in the room next door.I called in and spoke to a young male,asked why they turned our heater on and was told the were not in the room and it must have been the office lady who did it.they said she was coming to talk with us.after 45 min.we called the office and a very rude lady told us we did it accidentally and wasn't their fault.the only time we touched the thermostat was when we walked in the room.it was a miracle the room did not catch fire and if anyone had seen this place people upstairs would not have a chance.I told all the people around us to watch out for them coming in room before they had left.the only positive was all the people we met were very dog friendly.notice how high thermostat is on wall and wonder how anyone could accidentally turn it up by accident.(see photo) I would tell anyone that in my opinion it is the worst motel in Oregon.the continental breakfast was not that bad a 5 on a scale of 10 compared with others we have been to.the only thing this place has going for it is the beach.lucky for everyone they have nothing to do with that.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank 117TomT2013
Courtney T, Front Office Manager at Inn of the Beachcomber, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Man, I am so sorry that you had such a terrible experience with us... I'm not even sure where to start..
As far as the shortage of staff you happened to come during a time we were had just gotten rid of quite a few employees (trying to repair other damage), so if it seems like your only front desk girl was running around like a chicken with her head cut off, she probably was just a smidge overwhelmed.
The beds being too high is a complaint I have heard from a couple of our other guest as well... I have also heard that they are too low, we have trying to come up with a happy medium for all.
Now this thermostat nonsense seems to be a big misunderstanding... what tends to happen is that when our guest think they are actually shutting OFF the thermostat on the wall, they have in fact cranked it ALL the way on... It can be pretty confusing for people that do no use it everyday... our housekeepers on the other hand, do have to engage with the thermostats to turn them off most days while cleaning rooms. Our housekeepers do not arrive on shift until about 10 in the morning and as far as our front desk girl.... she had an appointment that morning and did not arrive on the premise until about 10 am as while, the only person even awake or alive during that time was our breakfast girl, who does not have access to make keys to get into hotel rooms. I will tell you though since this incident we have made much more clearer labeling on our thermostats to ensure another mistake like this DOES NOT happen.
I am very sorry our morning staff did not handle this situation better, mistakes do happen but that is no reason to be rude or disrespectful to a guest. If you would like to discuss this situation further with me, please feel free to email me at info@innofthebeachcomber.com.
I would love to settle this situation with at least a little more positive note. Thank you!

Travelers are raving about these Gold Beach hotels

Reviewed August 7, 2013

I will never stay here again. The clowns running this place just don't care and its obvious by the cigarette butts all over the ground, mold everywhere, dirty floors, messy beds, unswept patios, "broken pool", not to mention the whole ash tray FULL of cigarettes that was still sitting on the patio from the guest prior. This place is disgusting and it smells. We met the owners child who appears to be running this place, and when we encountered an issue he did not try to find a solution, rather he acted like it was not his problem and was completely rude. Ignorant people. I would not recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank Beachlife2345
Reviewed August 6, 2013

This place was horrible, my family and I stayed at the house for a couple of days and I can honestly say this was the worst place I have ever stayed at. For a house that was supposed to fit seven people there were a grand total of five plates and six tiny coffee mugs with no silverware what so ever, they only gave us three towels and when I went to go get a couple more the lady at the front desk was incredibly rude and only begrudgingly gave me the towels we needed, and the house itself was a complete piece of crap, the garage had half empty soda cans all over the place and the ceiling of the kitchen had mold streaks running all the way across the ceiling. On top of that the second day we didn't even get to eat breakfast because they opened it up an hour after they were supposed to. Overall this was a terrible place to stay with lethargic employees.

• Stayed August 2013
4 Thank marvyman
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I booked a spa room, and as the desk clerk pointed out there was a spa in the room. A few of the jet even worked. When we got there at 5pm the room wasn't clean that took another hour. The sink didn't drain, and don't get me started on the banging noise every time we or someone else turned on the water or flushed the toilet. It banged for about 5 min and people flush alot at night, so no sleep.The breakfast was horrible. Instead of having sausage in the gravy there was bread,the morning desk clerk was rude when I complained.
I thought I had it bad until I talked to the friends who we were traveling with. They had a window with no glass in it. That's right no glass and it wasn't a small window. They paid for beach access which turned out to be a room a little closer to a path nowhere near the beach. A bathroom fan that didn't work. And a connecting door that didn't lock. (boy was that a shock). Oh and the pool was closed because it was "broken"
I was offered 10% off on my next stay. Not only is that the standard AAA rating not anything special. I won't be back, there are to many options to ever stay here again.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else! The motel 6 looks nicer.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank beadwmn
Courtney T, Front Office Manager at Inn of the Beachcomber, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Our spa rooms have jacuzzi tubs out on the balcony, not in the room... I am so very sorry if you were informed wrong. As far as the jets not working, it is hard for us to know if they are out if we are not informed. If you had mentioned to the office this issue we would have been more then happy to have our maintenance man replace it for you.
We offer sausage gravy with biscuits, fresh belgian waffles, fruit cups, yogurt, muffins, pastries, and hard boiled eggs for breakfast, along with juices and hot coffee. If you were not informed of what our morning amenities were they I am very sorry that your experience with our staff was not up to par.... as far as the morning staff being rude, that is completely unacceptable. We have been making some changes with our staff lately so hopefully this issue will never happen again.
And our ten percent off coupon is good with the AAA discount (which now is only about $5 dollars now days.) Once again, if this was not explained to you then that is our fault and I am very sorry for the misunderstanding.
We would love to make things right with you though and offer you a room with a better discount if you would be willing to give us a change to make it up to you... if you would like to take us up on this offer please feel free to write me an email at info@innofthebeachcomber.com.
Thank you!
Salem, Oregon, United States
Reviewed July 23, 2013

M husband and our best friends rented their "Da bungalow" which was supposed to be a beachouse with beach acsess. for over 200.00 a night. When arriving we were at the office the girl at the front office didnt know anything.We asked where it was at she said down the way the only house down there.Which it was one of four homes.poorly ran from the start. Very out dated, Very run down and in desperate need of maintenance. The dishes were dirty that were in the cupboard, ice cream in freezer left by previous guests. 1 ply toilet paper. no ventalation in the home only two windows opened.It smelled stale and old. so it was about two football fields away to walk to the beach. Barely even a beach front view.it looked like they were in the middle of buliding a deck out on the back, but there is no way to even acsess it. The garage was full of stuff i assume they are storing for motel??? Oh and by the way they never informed us the the house located next to was being remodeled. So our alarm clock was the banging of workers, next door because there was no alarm clock, or phone for that matter!! we tried to complain when we first arrived,the coffee pot was disgusting it was dirty and smelled of urine. YUK! they sent some young kid down to replace a new one that wasnt really any better. Never could speak to any managment. It looks as though its being run by children, or people that just dont care.I will not return to this property, nor would i advise anyone else,by the way i work for a prestigous hotel and run a housekeeping department. this would never never be acceptable by any means... so disapointed. The trip was fun but accomidations were crap would rather sleep in my car.

Room Tip: Just dont stay that s my advise!!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Dusty G
I am so sorry your stay with us was not up to par, we strive to have guests leave happy and well rested.... However, we have just recently purchased the house next to the hotel and are trying to improve it day, by day. The deck without the door, NOW has a brand new door leading out to it... including chairs to relax and enjoy the beach view on.
If you ever wish to speak to management please ask our office staff... We always have someone on staff who would be more then willing to address any issue you are having with your stay. During the summer the owner, or his son, is always on the property somewhere and would love to hear your suggestions on what they could do to improve the place.
If you would like to discuss this matter further please feel free to message us at info@innofthebeachcomber.com.
Thank you!
Coos Bay, Oregon
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Tacky, tacky best describes this place. The rooms were generally clean but pretty threadbare and the carped was actually slippery! The bed was comfy enough but had "outrigger" feet that invited broken toes in the middle on the night. The WIFI didn't work and phone cell service was marginal. I tried to get an extension cord for a medical device and was told, "oh, we looked for one a week or so ago and didn't find one". The little hottie behind the counter (hot pants and all) looked like she would be far more at home on one of the myriad surfboard that adorned the lobby than behind the desk. She was pleasant enough when she got around to attending to you but was certainly in no hurry to do so. Next time, if nothing else is available, I think i'll sleep in the car, especially considering the price they charge for a sub-standard property.

Room Tip: Try the Gold Beach Inn
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
#7 of 8 in Brookings
Gold Beach Resort
Gold Beach Resort
#2 of 8 in Gold Beach

Been to Inn of the Beachcomber? Share your experiences!