“Pretty Run Down!”

Ranked #5 of 5 Gold Beach B&B and Inns
Oregon
“Pretty Run Down!”
Reviewed November 12, 2011

Was pretty disappointed! After reading the reviews was expecting something quite a bit nicer. TV reception was terrible, door was difficult to open, safety latch was broke, broken tiles in bathroom, room smelled musty, hot tub was very old, outdoor rugs on walkway were ripped and it was just not worth the $100.58 for the room in November. Pool was freezing and spa was not clea.

Staff was friendly and location was good. Breakfast was pretty good. Bed was comfortable but bedding was not large enough for the bed.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
CARMARTHENSHIRE UK
Reviewed November 1, 2011

Overall a good choice. Read several reviews on TA & decided on this one as I really like a pool where I can swim & this one was indoors. The room was very nice – quite spacious with a beautiful view over the beach. Unfortunately during my stay the weather was wet & winding so sat in the very comfortable chairs – recliners watching the sea, instead of out on the balcony. The bed was out of this world for comfort – by far the best of my vacation. There was a gas shove for heating in the room. There was not much information about the locality or the hotel facilities provided for guests in the room, but at check in you were given details of restaurants nearby, some of which did discounts. We ate in Spinners both nights of our stay and enjoyed the meal & had a discount. The pool here was big enough but there were problems with the heating of it – as another guest told me during my stay. So it was a bit chilly – but OK to swim lengths. However the hot tub was beautifully warm. Had I been staying longer this would have been more of an issue. It would have been nice of the staff had told me about the problems with the pool heating as I specifically mentioned about swimming and you had to get towels from check-in to use for the pool. I would stay here again but to make things just perfect the pool heating needs sorting out, the pool surroundings and some parts outside sprucing up just a bit. I do realise that being on the coast, maintaining buildings is a problem with the sea air.

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking the beach on the second floor with balcony
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed October 17, 2011

We stayed at this Inn two years in a row for the windsurfing competition in Gold Beach, Oregon in June. The best rooms by far are the ones facing the ocean with balconies. If you are visiting Gold Beach for athletic reasons, definitely reserve a room with a hot tub on the balcony. I strongly recommend booking one of these rooms, as they are truly spectacular and don't cost much more than the regular rooms which get a lot less sunlight. The breakfast room is super fun, with a variety of foods. They have two Belgian waffle makers, which really warms up your morning! This family owned and operated establishment has friendly service and reasonable rates. We highly recommend The Inn at the Beachcomber, and will continue to stay there any time we are in Gold Beach.

Room Tip: Higher floors with rooms facing the beach are by far the best! The scenery can't be beat, and so...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank BeachXtreme
Texarkana, Texas
Reviewed October 2, 2011

When I stayed there part of the hotel was renovated and part wasn't. I wouldn't have been happy in the older portion. The owner was on site when we were there and he was delightful and really wanted to make us happy. The room we stayed in had a top of the line mattress, linens, robes, was very clean AND had a large, private tub on the deck. We stayed in a 5 star hotel the next day that didn't hold a candle to this place. In addition to the wonderful room, they sold wine in the lobby and had miles of beautiful beach just steps away. We were actually the only ones on the beach when we were there.
We left early so I don't know what the breakfast situation was. The only things I didn't care for was the pool looked like it might not be clean (I could be wrong, we didn't swim) and the people in the room 2 doors down from us were pretty loud and rowdy. I didn't get the feeling they were the typical guests. :) I loved this place and would go back in a second!

Room Tip: make sure you are staying in a portion that has been updated!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank shari246
Bend, Oregon
Reviewed September 28, 2011

Great website, not so great hotel. Excellent location, not so excellent staff. We came from Bend with expectations that did not meet reality. Two out of three staff members (front desk) were sassy and scary (evening then morning) and clearly aware that the owners of this hotel were a safe distance away in Central Oregon. Please try and hire people that can at least pretend to care about customer service. Paint, stair repair, general maintenance? Nobody like mystery stains in a hotel. Sum of two night- ick.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank M R

Travelers are raving about these Gold Beach hotels

San Jose, California
Reviewed September 21, 2011

My husband & I booked a room with a spa tub for the July 4th weekend. What a treat! This place may be a "motel" but it felt like luxury. The bed was incredibly plus (had something like a TempurPedic mattress pad on it), with tons of pillows & a charming quilt. There was even a futon in the room (we could have had guests, LOL). The fridge was handy for keeping snacks & drinks cold. The bathroom was small but tidy.

But the best thing was the deck with the spa tub, where we could sit & look out at the ocean. Not all of the jets in the tub worked, but they were noisy anyway, & it was great to just soak while drinking a glass of good local wine & enjoy the view or the stars at night.

The breakfast in the morning was a bit more than a standard continental breakfast -- there were breads, fruit, & cold cereal, plus biscuits & gravy & make-your-own waffles. Nice touch.

Room Tip: Definitely get a room with a spa tub!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Talent
Reviewed September 16, 2011

I've been staying in motels my entire 60 years (thanks mom and dad) and this place is the worst since smoking rooms were eliminated.
No hot water for my shower and the ocean view wasn't and the wifi connection was so weak it wouldn't stay on line. The walls were so thin I could the people in the next room breathing...seriously, I could. The breakfast was lame. Not a vitamin in sight.
But the worst part was the total lack of response or sympathy when I pointed out the difference between what was promised and what was delivered. The service was a ragged as the towels. It must be great to own a motel on the most scenic highway on the west coast because you don't have to worry about repeat customers. Don't stay there!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business