“Beware of Reviews”

Inn of the Beachcomber
Ranked #5 of 5 Gold Beach B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 3, 2007

Stayed here toward the end of a three week road trip and found the accommodations to be satisfactory for a place to put our heads. as we were passing through. My husband loved the memory foam top on the mattress, but I was turned off by the decorating. Nothing seemed to go together. Also, the bedding could have used a freshening as it smelled stale. I thought the price was on the high end for what you got (compared to other places we stayed...Ramada, Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Marriott, etc.).
The only reason I am bothering to write a review is the notice at the bottom of the invoice, "WRITE A POSITIVE REVIEW ON TRIPADVISOR.COM AND GET 15.00% OFF YOUR NEXT STAY." I was floored by such an unethical promotion! It also would make me doubt any positive reviews about this property even if they might be warranted.
I certainly hope this is not a trend and other properties do not pick up on it as it would make me doubt the validity of all reviews on tripadvisor.

2  Thank Joycesw

Reviewed September 29, 2007

My wife and I spent two nights at the Beachcomber.

Positives were clean room, nice view of ocean (over roof of another building) nice high bed, flat screen tv.

Negatives were the front door would get stuck and was very hard to open, had to have a houskkeeper help us to open first time. The pocket door to shower and toilet very hard to slide and outside screen door hard to operate. One of the spa jets fell of when we used it, we were told the houskkeeper put it back incorrectly when cleaning it. Room was very small.

The property advertises a remodel in 1966, but in the hospitality buisness we would call what they did a "face lift" it looks to me like they put in new countertops and sinks, paint ,etc, but left same old infrastructure. Overall an ok place, but not worth the money.

When we checked out our invoice had a note on the bottom ... "Write a positive review on tripadvisor.com and get 15% off your next stay".

1  Thank StevenSueLasVegas_NV
Reviewed September 27, 2007

One of the better hotels we stayed in during our visit to the West Coast. Lovely room with huge bed and giant tv. Excellent dvd selection. Would be concerned about older people trying to climb into the beds though - they are pretty high!!

Reviewed September 25, 2007

We stayed in one of the remodeled bungalow rooms near the beach (#238). The sliding glass door out to the lawn was super convenient for our two dogs, and the view was fabulous. The furnishings were great, and I loved the new bed and bedding. The bathroom still haven't been remodeled but need to be. The shower head was abnormally low and most of the water didn't come out the shower head and instead drained out the faucet below. The continental breakfast was also above average, with a waffle maker and bisquits and gravy. We like it so much we want back for another stay two nights later but were turned off in the end by unwelcoming staff at the front desk that seemed a little slimy and were giving us a hard time. We ended up staying at another hotel in Gold Beach as a result and later regretted the decision. All this place needs is an outdoor hot tub (and more professional and welcoming staff at the front desk).

1  Thank traveladict15
Reviewed September 21, 2007

I booked this motel after viewing the web site and reading reviews of other motels in the area. The web site makes the property look and sound better than it actually is. It is not "luxury" in any way. The owners have advertised as a remodel but it still needs a lot of work. The bed and pillows were to soft and linens consisted of a sheet and thin down comforter. The door must be original as it needed a good tug to close. It didn't mask the noise from outside as we could hear all the activity in the parking lot. We could also hear all the foot traffic from the room above us. No sleeping in. The other reviewers are right about the shower head and there was mold in the corner of our shower.

It is right on the beach with a easy walk to the water but so were most of the other motels in the area.

At a nightly rate of $129 per night (fall rate...higher in summer months) I will stay at a different property on my next visit to Gold Beach.

1  Thank CaliforniaValleygirl
Reviewed September 17, 2007

I booked this room for one night, sight unseen, through AAA. I was surprised to find a nice sized flat-screen TV and a gas fireplace in my ocean view room. The back of the room opens basically right out to the beach. The room and view were lovely. The bed was too soft for me, but everything in the room was in good order. The included continental breakfast had a lot more options than I expected, such as biscuits and gravy and make-your-own waffles.

• Stayed: September 2007
2  Thank Helena51
Reviewed September 15, 2007

great staff, very helpfull in finding someplace to go mountain bike riding, what sites to see where to eat, even had a good selection of movies to watch. very comfortable beds nice rooms, really liked the one with the hot tub out on the deck. thank you

we will be back