“Nicest Motel 6 I've ever stayed in.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Motel 6 Gold Beach

Motel 6 Gold Beach
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Gold Beach
Sturgis, South Dakota, United States
“Nicest Motel 6 I've ever stayed in.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

We stay at Motel 6 whenever we travel because they permit our small dog no questions asked. Some are a little worse for wear but many have been refurbished. However, this Motel 6 location is by far the nicest Motel 6 we have ever stayed in and the staff was very friendly. Highly recommend!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Vicki B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Port Townsend, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

I have stayed at dozens of Motel 6 properties and this is not your run of the mill Motel 6. It is well cared for with extremely pleasant, courteous help in a nice setting - a few of the top floor rooms even have views of the river. It has a few outdoor areas to sit with benches and picnic tables, with attention and care paid to landscaping. Though we did not use it, there is also a hot tub on the property. While the rooms reflect the new updated Motel 6 look with bamboo laminate flooring and granite bathroom sink and non garish bed covers, they still tend to the stark and functional side rather than being warm and inviting. Also expect the same small, thin and scarce towels that the Motel 6 chain is known for. The front desk checked in with us a few hours after our arrival to thank us for staying there and to see if everything was OK. (there was a slight smell of cat pee in one corner, even though our particular room was declared to be both a smoke and pet free room). The maid service actually noticed the do-not-disturb sign hanging on the door and did not come knocking in the morning. Bring something to provide white noise if you are sensitive to sounds outside your room, as the heating units do not have a fan that can drown out sounds and as far as I could tell all rooms face the parking lot. All in all a pleasant stay and a bit pricier than most Motel 6 properties. This one proves that sometimes you do get what you pay for, especially when it comes to service.

Room Tip: Upper floors are best, especially since there is no carpeting to muffle sound, but there is no eleva...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Excalibur13
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

I had already spent too many nights in less-than-nice motels to save money on my trip from Tucson to Seattle. I learned my lesson once I stayed with this Motel 6: you get what you pay for in inexpensive motels UNLESS it's Motel 6!

The staff at the desk was wonderfully friendly, helpful and just a nice, down-to-earth person. I believe her name was Elena. The room knocked me out! It had two queen beds, a new, modern update, bamboo-look laminate on the floor (no carpet, which you KNOW really doesn't get all that clean in a motel), great colors, coffeemaker, refrigerator, microwave, TV, table and 2 chairs, super long desk/counter with drawers and excellent lighting...and was CLEAN. I loved it. Beds were really comfortable, pillows NOT all flattened out or lumpy, the shower had one of those nice curved shower rods so that the curtain steers clear of you, and just a 5-star rating in general. The ice machine and washer and dryer were conveniently located, the place was clean as a whistle and had a nice look all around.

I'd absolutely recommend this Motel 6 to anyone traveling! The cost was fantastic, the service was top-notch and I slept wonderfully. It was safe, clean, beautiful and inexpensive. What more do you need?! You can be assured of a wonderful stay at the Gold Beach, OR Motel 6!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank julienicolay
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

We stopped at Gold Beach during our Highway 1 road trip up to Seattle. The Motel 6 was a good budget option that didn't disappoint. The room was large, with a King size bed, microwave, coffee machine and fridge. We had a room on the second floor which had a nice view of the Rogue River and the bridge which was an unexpected bonus. Reception offers free coffee in the morning from 6am which is also a nice touch, although I found that the coffee provided for the machine in the room itself tasted better. The fridge in the room was very noisy, I ended up unplugging it during the night to get to sleep. We ate dinner at the Port Hole Cafe which also had a nice view, the food was pretty good, however the wine was not. At the recommendation of the reception staff at the hotel we had breakfast the next morning at the Indian Creek Cafe just up the road from the hotel, it was a busy little cafe next to the campground which we both thought was nice. I would definately recommend the Motel 6 at Gold Beach for those looking to stick to a budget. The only negatives in regards to the rooms are the small pillows and the small towels, but this seems to be a feature of all the Motel 6 properties we have stayed at, whoever implemented those puchases needs to take a long hard look at themselves and say, what was I thinking?

Room Tip: The rooms on the second floor have a nice view of the Rogue River and the bridge.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mikal P
Mt. Shasta, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2012

I always stay at Motel 6 because they are friendly to pets. I have two well behaved little dogs. So I stopped here rather than go on up the road. The road was very good by M6 standards. A coffee pot, frig and microwave was great. The location was restful - almost a view and close to nice places (with a hike or a car)
The only downside was the owner decided to have a surprise pet policy of one dog per room. Never happens in M6. But I whimpered and a room was found. I hope M6 keeps being friendly with dog people like me. They're my kids.
Overall though it is a excellent M6

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank ecopam
Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

I would stay again.. The owner patrols the place . Kinda creepy. The rooms are the refurnished.. On my motel6 scale I give this one a. 9! One of the better ones I have slept in..Like I said I reccommend this motel 6

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Talent, Oregon, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

Not worth it! o ocean views. Before the price increases it was better, I have stayed at Motel 6's across the country, this is most expensive with less amenities that I have experienced. Last time frig did not work. I stayed here 3 times and prices increased every time, I will not be back until they are stable but have found other better places to stay with views for same money or less.

Room Tip: Parking is bad, get a room downstairs fr ease of access
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple