“Looked better than it was”
Review of Barnacle Bistro

Barnacle Bistro
Ranked #3 of 31 Restaurants in Gold Beach
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Idaho
“Looked better than it was”
Reviewed November 15, 2013

I had the smoked brisket sandwich with cole slaw & sweet potato fries. Loved the fries, sandwich was good. Cole slaw was weird. We aren't sophisticates, so maybe it's just us. The fresh ginger in the cole slaw was so strong that I tasted it all night! My husband wouldn't even eat his after the first bite and he loves cole slaw. He had fish & chips with the garlic fries. Fish was good, the homemade tartar sauce great, but the garlic fries were super greasy. Presentation was good, service good. Prices reasonable. I think it could be an excellent place, we just weren't impressed with our choices.

Visited November 2013

Palo Alto, California
“What a surprise!”
Reviewed November 13, 2013

We were making our way up from the Bay Area CA on our 5 day driving/camping trip through the coastal CA and Oregon. Getting close to the lunch time and our hunger pangs roaring, my husband said "how about that place?" I was not that hopeful of food but relented.

Looks like a 2-man endeavor and liked what I saw immediately. I like independent eating establishments and normally do not go to any chain places. This place reminded me so much of many restaurants we frequent in Japan. A chef cooking very close by, and one person taking orders, delivering food, and handling money.

I ordered clams in a wine sauce. It was one of the best clams I've eaten anywhere including possibly my own (:O The clams were perfectly cooked with a wonderful taste and aroma of sweet lemon. I've never tasted clams with lemon like this before and loved it. Nice selection of local brew too. I ordered white wine - wish I can remember the name, but it was from Oregon.

Bandon, OR
“Best Fish and Chips ever”
Reviewed November 12, 2013

I'm always on the lookout for great fish and chips, and now I have found them! The fish was great, but the chips and tartar sauce and slaw were what put the dish over the top. The chips were so crunchy they shattered when i bit down on them. The tartar sauce was NOT your usual sicky-sweet gloop out of a bottle. The slaw was fresh and dressed with a pleasing sesame dressing. Nice atmosphere, good service, and good glass of house wine topped off my experience.

• Visited November 2013
walpole, NH
“Looking for a great lunch in Gold beach area-this is it!”
Reviewed November 8, 2013

In what looked like a food desert town, we uncovered this gem. Great fresh, local organic salads, grass fed beef and lamb, hand cut fries and interesting local brew. Highly recommended!

Hood River, Oregon
“No Reason to Go Elsewhere”
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Barnacle Bistro is a gem with superior food and service. Owner/chef, Evan, makes a memorable home-made curry and cider mussel appetizer. It was so good that I had it for an entree on our first visit and we returned the next night so that my husband could have it. I had repeated his crab cake/green salad entree and found it delicious. On our 3rd visit, I had smoked salmon ravioli and my husband enjoyed fish and chips. The food is fresh, local, and well prepared by either Evan or Ernie. We were in Gold Beach for 3 nights and feasted at the Barnacle Bistro on each night. There was no need to try any other restaurant with such great food at reasonable prices!