“Exactly what I needed”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed June 12, 2014

Wandered in after a very long drive. I wanted fish and chips, I didn't want anything else....I simply wanted fish...and...chips.

And that is exactly what I received. Excellent, fresh, crispy fish, delicious fries, very good cole slaw and a solid tartar sauce. How can you beat that?

The place is small, on the mouth of the Rogue River with some pretty nice views. I felt the restaurant was clean and well lit, two things that I insist on when dining out.

This place is, exactly what it professes to be...a small, quaint, fun place near the water.

I give this place 4 stars as it doesn't try to be anything but what it is.

The 5th star is for Anna. She sensed I was tired from driving, hadn't eaten, was in a mood and just wanted a kind face, good food and a comfortable place to just sit and enjoy for a bit. She checked on me occasionally, just enough and not too much. She has a very good read on her customers. Would I go back? Of course, the food was very good.

As long as Anna was there...

2  Thank Hawking74
There are newer reviews for Port Hole Cafe

Reviewed June 9, 2014

This restaurant had, by far, the best food we've experienced on our trip so far. We are both eating low carb diets but will go off from time to time if we feel the food will justify doing so. Everything we had was excellent.....and the carrot cake we shared was a perfect ending to a perfect meal. Our waitress, Suzy, was extremely pleasant and efficient. We plan on being in Gold Beach only a couple days but will probably return to the Port Hole Café for another meal before we head up the Oregon Coast. Probably won't find anything comparable! :(

2  Thank Karen S
Reviewed June 8, 2014

Every time the food is yummy and always more than you can eat! Try everything; it is all wonderful. If you are by yourself of in a group with or without kids best place in town! Ask for Anna she is a joy. Save room for homemade dessert "heaven" .

2  Thank ValJo B
Reviewed June 5, 2014

The food here is very good. It is one of the best meals we've had in a local cafe. I want to give a special shout out to Dorothy who was our server. My husband wanted to try the Sea Clams in addition to his dinner -- they were on the menu with a flatiron steak, as a version of surf-and-turf -- and she made that possible with no fuss and no problem. Two sea clams were served up as a side dish. And, they were great--perfectly prepared!

My husband's dinner was the Snapper filet which was breaded lightly and very moist inside. I
ordered the prawns. Both dinners were excellent. Don't skip dessert because the pies are out of this world. We ordered two pieces as take out and were able to enjoy them later.

When you find yourself in Gold Beach, Oregon be sure to stop in at this local cafe. It will make you feel at home. Good food and friendly people.

1  Thank Lucyck
Reviewed June 1, 2014

Once again we brought out of town company to the Port Hole. Every one in our party from Grandpa to the youngest grandchild ,had a wonderful meal. Quick service by friendly a waitress made the meal all that more special, we will of course be returning. Nice Job
Tony!