“What a surprise!”

Ranked #5 of 31 Restaurants in Gold Beach
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: House-made cheeses and cured meats compliment a small, yet varied menu. Meals are designed to enhance the strong wine program. We take the wine and food seriously but ourselves... Not so much. We offer a casual, fun, evening that includes top notch food, wine & spirits.
Grants Pass, Oregon
“What a surprise!”
Reviewed June 9, 2014

The folks at the travel center gave us this recommendation. WOW, what a great time and outstanding food we encountered. It's off the beaten track. You must turn inland from the coast highway on to a roadway between the Napa store and a Chevron station, go up one block and turn left and you'll see the small and wonderful Anna's restaurant. Do not miss it. All freshly prepared, nothing from the freezer or can (for the most part). We had duck (outstanding in all areas) and salad the was most uncommon made without any lettuces. All was worth the price.

Visited June 2014
2 Thank David R

Eugene, Oregon
“Great food in modest context”
Reviewed April 18, 2014

It's all about the food here. I was quite pleasantly surprised with how good my shrimp dinner entree was. The wine list was unexpectedly impressive. Server seemed new but pleasant. The restaurant is in an unassuming building and has a very informal feel.

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank OregonTraveler193
Fortuna, California
“Average at best”
Reviewed February 4, 2014

I really don't understand all the raving reviews for this restaurant. My husband and I ate here last March and plan to return to Gold Beach for a visit in a few months. We ate at Anna's based on all the positive reviews here. We both had steak that was tender but had an off flavor and side dishes of peas and mashed potatoes fried in a small cast iron skillet. The potatoes tasted slightly burnt and had no real flavor. Reviewers set us up for a grand expectation and our experience fell flat, including the service. I did feel a bit cheated for the price as I left unsatisified. Now go ahead, Peter, read the few reviews I've ever done on Tripadvisor and pick this one apart. It seems that you do this with any slightly negative comment about your restaurant which is an even bigger reason why I couldn't recommend your restaurant. My review is not a personal attack on you or your restaurant. It's just an honest review of our experience that the food in our opinion is average and we wouldn't return. I felt compelled to write this because I'm dumfounded that there are so many positive reviews for this place. Clearly there are people who like the food at Anna's but based on our experience, we won't be back. And based on his other responses, the owner doesn't really care if we return and isn't interested in constructive feedback but readers might want to hear of all his patrons' experiences.

• Visited March 2013
11 Thank Frequenttravwithkids
peter d, Owner at Anna's - by the sea, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
If you were really interested in being constructive, you would have raised your concerns with me personally rather than in a public forum. As you have addressed me by name and I know my practice, it is beyond doubt that i inquired of you whether or not you were enjoying your meals when you were eating them.

What you call an off flavor is truffle oil.

Perhaps you didn't notice the statement in uppercase red letters at the top of the menu that say, "People have different tastes. If the item you ordered doesn’t suit yours, don’t suffer, let us, cheerfully, replace it. You leaving Anna’s happy is what’s most important to us."
Fort Collins, Colorado
“Amazing Food not to be missed!”
Reviewed October 12, 2013

It is so rare to find a restaurant of this caliber anywhere, really any where. Five of my colleagues dined at Anna by the Sea and found the wine selection to be incredible and the food extraordinary. The proprietor, Peter, operates in a laid back style one would expect to find in the hills of Tuscany. I can assure you that despite Peter's easy going manner, the food will not disappoint, nor will the wine selection. Expect to get there early, Peter starts seating at 5 Pm and stops around 8 or so. All the food is made to order, so expect to have a glass of wine or two while you wait, but you must wait. Really, this restaurant is worth driving far out of your way to enjoy!

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank Charles E
Bend, Oregon
“A unique and wonderful evening”
Reviewed October 4, 2013

The food was great, the wine wonderful, and the evening better than both.

Anna's has five tables, it is not opulent, but it feels like having a great meal in the house of a quirky, imaginative friend who happens to be an exceptional cook. Even the cheese are house made.

Given the scale, the menu is not long, but is it fresh and local and varied. Meals prepared as they are ordered and I chatted with the owner/chef as he prepared ours, happily watching over a but wall as he provided a great set of lessons. Chatting with other tables seemed easy and by evenings end our chef was seated twixt the the two lest tables joining us in a fine Pear William.

It was storming outside....blowing chairs down the street. We happily laughed over cheese and brandies for an hour. Safe, warm and sated.

• Visited October 2013