“Disliked the service”

Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Gold Beach
Colorado Springs
“Disliked the service”
Reviewed August 11, 2007

Okay, these people need to get their act together. My husband grew up in Gold Beach and has either stayed in, or recommended, this hotel.

The experience this trip was not good. I heard the the lodge has been bought by someone new in the last couple of years. Too bad!!! Their lodges and service used to be great. The only new or good thing about this trip was the hot tubs.

The cabins have gone down hill. Not kept up like they used to be. The gardens are nice but we weren't staying outside.

The help in the office have nothing on computer. When I asked them about a couple of calls I had made trying to get two more nights added on to our original reservation, they had everything written down on small pieces of paper and some hand written ledger. I guess they don't have computers.

When I wanted to add nights on they told me that I could stay the three original nights and the fifth night, but have to move out the fourth night. This was done before we left home. I asked, at the time if there were any rooms available in their other facility and was told no. When we got there, they had lots of room in their other facility. Needless to say, we stayed the three nights and moved somewhere else in Gold Beach the last two nights.

I would not stay there again, more because of attitude than facilities, although neither was very good.

• Liked — the hot tubs
  • Disliked — the service
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank want2havefun

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
Sacramento
Reviewed August 6, 2007

I've been staying at Ireland's for almost 30 years. However, this is the first time since the ownership has changed. Ireland's has alway s been the class of the Oregon Coast. The cottages have always been rustic but well maintained; the grounds immaculate and beautiful; the service superb.

I had read a few of the recent negative reviews prior to booking, but blew it off. Boy were they right on. The cottages are still rustic, but dilapidated. The grounds are OK. The worst part however, is the service.

I initially reserved one of the cottages for two nights. A week later I called and asked if I could add another night. Reservation staff said no problem. In fact, to do business you need to go next door to the Gold Beach Inn. I think this is another property owned by the same people?

When I arrived I was told that the room was only available for two nights. They even showed me their special code on the handwritten reservation card that indicated I had only reserved two nights. According to the staff, I was very wrong. However, if I acted quickly, I could reserve another two rooms in the Gold Beach Inn. Of course the two rooms would double the cost of one night in the cottage.

The staff made absolutely no effort to make things better. Theirs was a take it or leave it attitude. No offer to lower the cost of the two rooms we would have to move in to. Not even a sorry, "we all make mistakes." If I was surprised by one thing in this experience it was the rudeness of the staff in the office. During the summer on the Oregon coast you can get away with that - for a few summers. Needless to say, after 30 years of excellent experiences, Ireland's will not be a place to stay in the future. There are other nice places in Gold Beach.

The continental breakfast? Don't get me started on that.

• Liked — It's on the Oregon coast
  • Disliked — Everything else. This was a terrible experience.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
6 Thank Bayareabud
Winston, Oregon
Reviewed July 23, 2007

We stayed at Irelands July 16-20th. Our room was not ready at 3pm, we came back at 4pm and still had to wait 1/2 an hour in our car before the room was ready. There is no A/C and the window screens are bent and falling out. There is no phone and no one in the office a night. Their breakfast was awful (even the cereal was bad) and the breakfast room was too crowded to even sit down. The TV reception was poor and all you could get was FOX and HBO. The fridge froze our food and the light bulbs must have been 10 watt. The flower beds were all weedy. Also there is no closet and the silverware for the kitchenette had food crusted on it. So, not a place I would even stay again.

• Liked — The pine paneling is nice.
  • Disliked — No ocean view
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
2 Thank maryj97496
Washoe Valley, Nevada
Reviewed July 14, 2007

We stay at the Ireland's at least twice a year, the latest being the 4th of July week this year (2007).

For many stays the property was amazingly cared for and we raved about our time there for weeks after our visit. Now it seems that the new owners do not have the green thumb or time to take care of the little details we came to expect. We are not picky or snooty, we just remember what the lawns and flowers looked like before and what they look like now.

The property has a disappointing continental breakfast that features some of the worst coffee we have ever had. We made a quick trip to the market to get the fixens to make our own after one morning.

The Rustic Lodges are still fun and we love the location. The Ocean is just a short walk away and fireplace is great. New carpet has been rolled out in the lodges and they are clean. Watch out for the golf carts the cleaning crew uses in the morning, they start running early and run full blast for a few hours.

Maybe next time we visit it will be better.

• Liked — Location to Ocean/Coast
  • Disliked — Continental Breakfast
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank dandbtucker
West Sussex
Reviewed May 14, 2007

Had two nights at Ireland's and loved the location. We stayed in the Monterey cabin, with a great view of the ocean. The beach was only a short walk away, and the oceanside hot tubs were also a nice feature. Breakfast was disappointing.

• Liked — Views
  • Disliked — No phones in the rooms.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank adam1uk
Maryland
Reviewed May 4, 2007

We're from the East coast, and hauled our kids out West for a two-week drive along the gorgeous California and Oregon coast (they didn't seem to mind that we extended their Spring break....). The whole trip was fantastic, and -- along with the two days we spent in Bodega Bay, CA -- the family consensus was that our two nights and three days at Ireland's Rustic Lodges took the gold medal (for lodging and overall experience). The staff was incredibly nice, and we thought the place was run like clockwork. The location is beautiful, of course, and we made great use of the four trails to the ocean and all of the other amenities (both at the hotel and nearby). Vacation is all about creating memories, and our time at this hotel certainly didn't disappoint in that respect. We'd go back in a heartbeat.

One note--I clicked on this site for the first time after our trip when doing a nostalgic web-look at some of the places we visited during our trip. I was surprised to see the negative reviews on this site. It literally is as if those reviewers (assuming those reviews were even written by more than one person) are commenting on another hotel, or making up their supposedly bad experiences out of whole cloth.

• Stayed April 2007
3 Thank turtle45
Las Vegas, NV
Reviewed April 26, 2007

This was the nicest place to stay! The staff was very friendly. We stayed in the Pacific Breeze Building, and had a gorgeous view of the ocean & a woodburning stone fireplace that was re-stocked with wood every day. Another plus, this is a smoking room!! The only complaint that I would have is the people above us liked to polka at 3 in the morning!

• Liked — The ocean view and the overall room/property
  • Disliked — That we couldn't stay longer
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple