“2nd Honeymoon as good as the 1st” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ireland's Rustic Lodges

Ireland's Rustic Lodges
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Gold Beach
Southern Oregon
“2nd Honeymoon as good as the 1st”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2006

A couple of weeks before our 25th wedding anniversary we finally decided to relive a portion of our honeymoon. Our 1st honeymoon began with a stay at Ireland's Rustic Lodges. It was very romantic. We brought wine, grapes, crackers and cheese. We stayed in one of the motel rooms with a fireplace. It was a very relaxing end to a hectic day.

We got up early the following morning and drove across town to Jerry's Jet Boat Service. The jet boat took us 64 miles up the Rogue River, through some beautiful scenery, wildlife and water fun (splashing and being splashed by other boats and rafters) to Paradise Lodge where we spent our 2nd night. At paradise lodge we were treated to a home style dinner, breakfast and lunch. In the afternoon we took the jet boat back to Gold Beach and begin the trip back to the Rogue Valley.

For our second honyemoon we deciced to spend the night at Ireland's and relive our honeymoon dinner at Ship Ashore restaurant. I called the reservation number for Ireland's and had a very pleasant conversation. The person I spoke with was very excited to have us staying with them again. We lucked out because one of the cabin units, which are usually booked solid, was available. The whole reservation process was smooth and painless.

The day we left got off to an interesting start, on the way out we checked the mail only to discover that some lowly person had put a box in our mailbox with four 2 week old kittens in it. They didn't appear to have been there long so we scrambled to get them some formula and found a friend who agreed to take care of them. Needless to say we were off to a later stop than we had intended. With our morning delay and some frustrating construction on Hiways 199 and 101, we arrive quite a bit later than we had planned.

At our checkin the staff was very friendly and several of them wished us a happy anniversary. We were very pleased when we drove up to our cabin. It was a standalone cabin although a neighboring cabin was set very close to ours. The room was clean, very rustic and spacious! The smell of the fireplace and the wood paneling was pleasant. My wife commented several times that she wished our bedroom at home was like this.

I had read some of the reviews here and remembered a discount for one of the local restaurants. Since it was so late we really didn't feel like driving 30 minutes to the Ship Ashore restaurant and agreed to try dining at Spinners. The restaurant is nicely decorated and the dining room had a nice view of the ocean. I did feel a little claustrophobic as the tables were somewhat jammed into the small space and the noice level rose uncomforably high many times throughout our meal. The service staff was efficient and friendly. Herb rolls were brought out as soon as we were seated. My wife enjoyed her tossed salad and I enjoyed a cup of clam chowder. I ordered a 12 oz. Prime Rib with some of the best Horseradish I've ever had. I asked for straight horseradish and was served both straight and whipped with sour cream. The meat was cooked properly but had a few stringy spots. The au-jus was a little more gravy-like than what I'm accustomed to but did not detract from the meal and was actually good with the garlic mashed potatoes. I only took a couple of bites of the grilled vegetable that included zuccini, squash, green beans and onion which were good and not overly seasoned. My wife tried one of the day's specials, a sesame crusted Tuna filet with lemon bechamel. My wife does not care for undercooked fish and relayed this to the waitress. Unfortunately this resulted in a very overcooked, otherwise generous portion of tuna. My wife also commented on the bechamel being overly citrusy.

After dinner we drove around to familiarize ourself with the town. My wife announced she could see deer in a resident's yard so we pulled over and watched a group of seven deer graze and play. When we returned to our room we built a fire and relaxed in the comfortable recliners. The bed was comfortable with nice pillows but there were only 3 and no extras in the room. With no phone in the room, I did not feel like walking over to the front desk next door so I gave my wife the 2nd pillow and did not sleep well with only the one myself.

We got up in the morning started another fire, made some coffee in our room, opened the curtains and enjoyed the ocean view. Many times during our stay we went out to the private balcony to enjoy the sight and sounds of the ocean. A short while later we walked over to the breakfast area. I was not dissapointed by the free breakfast that offered bagels, frozen waffles, donuts, cerial, coffee and juice. It was no better or worse than many other hotel breakfasts I've had.

Since you pay in advance check-out consists of dropping off your key. I had another nice chat with their staff and they seemed to appreciate hearing how much we enjoyed our stay.

• Liked — Wasn't an ordinary motel room.
  • Disliked — Loose toilet seat.
  • Tips/Secrets — It's on the Oregon coast. What more do you need to know?
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
4 Thank linhartr22

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
derby uk
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2006

Planned to stay at Ireland's lodges for 2 nights as part of a 3 week trip to California and Oregon. Had phoned sometime ago to make the reservation, having looked at website, and made our requirements clear. On the basis of advice given booked the Manzanita cabin.
Upon arrival it was clear the check-in desk was chaotic.
Were not able to view the inside of the cabin as it was not ready and did not seem clear when it would be. However we looked at the outside and the position was extremely disappointing and not at all what we had been expecting. It is right at the entrance from the highway and alongside the breakfast room and the only view is of the car park with no space or greenery around it.
We returned to the desk to express our disappointment. Without going into details the response of the two staff (one said she was the manager but would not give us her name) on duty was totally unacceptable. We had not actually completely declined the cabin at this point but the person we were dealing with advised another clerk to allocate it to some other people who had arrived without reservation. When we queried this she responded we said we "hated" the cabin wwhich was not true we only wnated to find out if there were any alternaitves which matched the impression given by the photos on the website. The desk clerk (manager?) tried to persuade us to take a room in the hotel which cost significantly more and was almost insistent we viewed it -but what we wanted and had hoped for was a cabin near the ocean for a couple of nights with some space around it to relax.
At this point we decided we did not want to stay in any event- we did not like the location of the cabin but the decision to move on ultimately was because of the appalling customer service we received.
I would add that this was our third trip to the USA and we have stayed in all sorts of accommodation in different price rangesand are very easy going and flexible. This is the first time we have experienced real disssatisfaction and frustration -and the first time we have felt motivated to post on Trip Advisor.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
9 Thank janetk100
San Diego
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2006

After hearing some negative comments about the service that other travelers received we were nervous about staying here. When we arrived we were greeted warmly and made to feel quite welcome. Our cabin (the cedar) was very roomy and the location was wonderful. We would definitely recommend Ireland's to our friends and would be happy to stay here again.

• Liked — very unique cabin, wonderful location
  • Disliked — hard to contact anybody for a reservation
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
1 Thank crazyinluv
Grants Pass
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2006

Incredibly impolite. Incredibly uncooperative. False advertising regarding rates and a total unwillingness to remedy.

Absolutely the worst of the worst. I actually can't believe there are people this inhospitable in the "hospitality" business.

Check Better Busines Bureau for complaint.

• Liked — Beach access
  • Disliked — Honestly, the front desk was so incredibly rude, I did not check in.
  • Tips/Secrets — Avoid. Run. Don't look back.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
11 Thank bphil
Fortuna, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2006

My wife and I have stayed at Ireland's 4 times, and we have always enjoyed it. We like the ability to bring our dogs and light a fire. We decided to celebrate our anniversary at another Gold Beach lodge on July 28 - 29 (Friday and Saturday nights) which charges around $300/night. We wanted to extend our vacation, so on either July 12th or 13th, we called Ireland's Rustic Lodges, and booked one night, a Thursday, July 27th. As our anniversary weekend approached, we began to reconsider our choice as we didn't really have the money to spend an extra day, so on Monday, 4 days before our reservation, we called Ireland's to cancel, and we were then rudely informed that they had already charged our VISA and that they had left the key out for us all night, and we had missed our reservation on the 21st! When we explained that we had made the reservation for the 27th, the man on the phone became outright hostile and dogmatically stated that they verified all their reservations with their "triple check" proceedure. He refused to refund our VISA stating that was their policy, and they were sticking with it.
OK, first of all, when we made the reservation around the 12th, the girl was extremely flustered because she was also checking people out of the hotel. Secondly, she did not triple check the date. Third, a 27 can look a lot like a 21, especially when written down hurriedly. And finally, we never received a confirmation letter, email, or phone call to verify any date either way. The man continued to behave aggressively and demanded to know why we wished to cancel anyway. I don't know, but that seems to me not to be any of his business. We were offended by this treatment and ended the call.
We called back later that day and got a woman. She was also rude and confrontational. My wife and I had not promoted this behavior as we were trying to be calm and nice as that usually gets better results than anger. At this point, I asked to speak to a manager, and I was denied. I gave my number and a time frame when I would be available and asked to have the manager return my call when she got in. She called back outside that time frame and left a message in a confrontational tone.
For the next 4 days, I called twice a day in an attempt to talk with a manager. I never spoke with a manager even though Shar told me Cindy or Dawn (the managers) were always there between 10am and 3pm. A different woman, Kelly, said they were always there after 5pm. I completely got the run around. I was tempted to physically stop by on our way out of Gold Beach and get some results, but I didn't because I knew I would get angry and negatively color the wonderful time we spent at the other lodge.
At this point, it is not about the money any more. I just want to talk to somebody with some authority and get a little satisfaction. If what they claim is true, then we booked a random Thursday in the middle of the week when, in reality, we booked a Thursday to extend a planned vacation that was reserved a year in advance. Hmmm, now who made the mistake here? I have read other reviews stating similar customer service complaints regarding Ireland's staff. They made the mistake, not us. Offending a steady customer, not providing a manager when requested, and no confirmation notice speaks volumes about my frustration and their shoddy business practices. So now I am writing letters to Ireland's management, their president, and their C.O. I am also pursuing matters through the Better Business Bureau. This is regrettable and could have been easily avoidable if I was just afforded a little customer respect. Ireland's is a nice place that we have enjoyed before, but I will not recommend them to my family, friends, or community any more.

Todd Flackus

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Rude employees. No manager - run around. Absence of customer service.
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't patronize them. They do not appreciate you or your money.
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
9 Thank DisgruntledMe
Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2006

My husband and I stayed in this wonderful. relaxing setting last year and we plan to return again this year. We had a corner room facing the ocean with a fireplace and balcony. It was a pleasant surprise as it was our first stay, and we felt like we were back in time, stepping into the room with pine paneled walls and a rustic stone fireplace, but it was clean and very comfortable. The grounds were clean as well and the surrounding area serene. The beach was just a short walk away down a path. For someone who wants an antiseptic chain hotel feel, or resort, this isn't the place for you. There are no extra amenities and you will feel truly as if you are in a lodge or cabin setting, but provisions are adequate. The owners and staff work hard to keep the place in great shape and the breakfast served in the front office area is no frills but adequate. We had a small balcony off our room and and could hear the ocean at night. With the addition of the owner's beautiful and friendly cat Smokey to keep us company, we felt right at home as we missed our cats. Much of the Oregon coast is still undeveloped by huge chains and impersonal strip malls, this lodge retain part of that rustic old coast feel, and many of us appreciate that. Face it, the Oregon coast has a wet climate, you are going to find a little mildew here and there and if you want a resort that has a sterile atmosphere with little personality, go spend a fortune somewhere else. Reasonably priced and memorable!

• Stayed October 2005, traveled on business
2 Thank oregongirl
Oregon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2006

We stayed in the Sequoia room - Room 18.

First the positives - they live up to the rustic name, the fireplace was nice, good tv channel choices & checking out was effortless.

Now the negatives - the room smelled bad - it was very musty. The room was far from ocean front - what we had was an ocean view. The room should be billed as parking lot front, as people were in front of our sliding glass door in the back of the room getting out of their cars. Limited hours for "breakfast" - which is done, I'm sure to get you out earlier.

This was very rustic & basic - no extras whatsoever. We more than likely won't stay again. For $149 a night plus tax, we expected more. It's a typical Oregon coast stay though - if spending under $175-200 a night, you're going to get a "rustic" place.

• Stayed July 2006