“Oh my God are these people for real???????” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ireland's Rustic Lodges

Ireland's Rustic Lodges
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Gold Beach
Medford, Oregon
“Oh my God are these people for real???????”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2007

My wife and I reserved a room for Oct 6, 2007, for a quick weekend getaway. It was our intention to leave our two year old son with his grandma and grandpa, and make this our first time alone in two years. The day before our trip our son got sick and we felt it would best to cancel our trip, as it was only going to a saturday night stay over. I called the office and was quickly told that I was unable to recover our room charge because i did not call with a 24 hour notice. The woman Sarha was extreamly rude and would not allow me to speak with a manager, to explain our unfortunate dillema. So being the kinda guy that I am I decided with my wifes blessing to go ahead and make the drive over to Gold Beach, with our sick son (just a common cold), after all our entire room fee was going to be spent one way or the other. Upon checking in my wife mentioned that we were checking with our son as well, this is were I got pissed off the first time, the lady actually asked if he was going be crying all night long! Than she told my wife that the rooms are only for couples, and that the rooms were not kid freindly ( maybe exsposed 120 volt wiring? Was thier venamous snakes under the bed? faulty plumbing with feces spilling out onto the carpets?). What ever could she be impling? In more words than one she basicaly was telling us that our son was not welcome at thier precious little motel. This is what happened while I waited outside in the truck with my son while my wife checked in at the front desk. I spoke with the girl at the front desk this was a complete waste of my time, as she would not give me to a manager or even give the managers name. Sara simply told me that she was not allowed to argue with the clients( complete copout), and that I would have to fill out a formal complaint form. I filled the form out while I deliverd to her some basic instructions on how to conduct basic customer skill service, with out angering the clients. NEVER MAKE A PERSONAL ATTACK ON A MANS SON, ESPECIALY WHEN HE CAN NOT DEFEND HIMSELF. LEAVE HIM OUT OF THIS! After being asured that management would contact me I left. I was never contacted by phone, mail, or by any other means. I would not stay here simply because of how rude the staff was to us! I would only reconsider if both Sara and this other so called proffesional were FIRED!

Stayed October 2007
8 Thank Medford_OregonUpset

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
Aldergrove
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2007

The website suggests beautiful, cozy rooms, a great view.

The room was dilapidated, not updated since the sixties, dark.
The carpet must have been 30 years old and it showed!
The light bulbs were weak and did not help much against the darkness in the room.

The TV was so old that it must have been made in the seventies. The image quality was miserable.

The view was all but non existent. If you used the patio (right on the road, no privacy whatsoever) and made an effort you could get a partial view looking in between the trees and a garage (may be 1 degree of view).

The room was very dark, the so called kitchenette only had hotplates and a small microwave. One cup and no kettle no make coffee, one dish (not enough), not pots or pans to cook!

No fireplace as the website not exactly says but suggests by showing a kitchenette of another of the rooms and a fireplace that many rooms do not have.

The staff was grumpy. The only exception was the owner who was quite helpful.

Had to pay a 6% penalty for moving out early because I just hated the room!

Where have you seen a hotel that charges you a fee for canceling your stay (unless it is clearly spelled out on the website, which it was NOT)?

A Motel 6 would be a great improvement over this dump.

• Liked — The location, close to the beach and well kept gardens
  • Disliked — The room. Simply outdated and depressingly dark and worn down
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
6 Thank vstrom650wqa
Oregon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2007

Our son was just coming out of the military and we thought we would splurge and get a room (The Bruinswick)and it had a pool table. We thought the boys would enjoy that while us girls cooked and talked. The kitchen was smelly and all the furniture had white stains. So we decided to BBQ on the deck outside(while they told us it had an ocean view) it did while it also faced the parking lot. The boys did enjoy the pool table but later that nite, I woke up smelling urine very strong in our matress! It made me sick, the next morning we went to get our continential breakfast. Everything was so covered with flies-we went else where to eat. We did not comment upon check out because we did not want to fuss because we are grateful our son is home. When we got home we called the hotel and told them what happened, they were rude, and they refused to give us the managers name and number. We complain to the BBB but Irelands does not belong-so no recourse there. We had rented 2 rooms that week-end for the 6 of us while $400.00 is not a lot of money for some it was a splurge for this family. Needless to say we are disappointed on the hotel.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank DisappointmentOregon
Eureka, CA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2007

Upon arriving at the front desk, we asked to see a room before we checked in and committed to the property. The young woman refused, saying they were going to sell out and she had not interest in letting us see a room first. Attracted by the outdoor hot tub, we took the risk anyway and booked room #32. Boy were we sorry. While the hot tub and grounds were nice, we regretted the decision as soon as we walked into the room and quickly understood why they didn't want us to see it first. The carpet was decades old, stained, and dirty. I didn't even want to walk on it without shoes. The bedding also had to be thirty years old. For the same price, we figured Motel 6 down the street would be nicer. We immediately returned to the front desk and asked for our money back so we could instead stay somewhere else. The young woman was not at all pleasant and refused to give us a refund, even though she made me fill out a bunch of paperwork documenting why we wanted to stay somewhere else. Days later, no one from the hotel has called me to respond to our complaint. We definitely will never stay here again. I still get the willies just thinking about the place.

• Liked — Outdoor hot tub
  • Disliked — Bedding was disgusting, as were the carpets!
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
6 Thank traveladict15
Colorado Springs
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2007

Okay, these people need to get their act together. My husband grew up in Gold Beach and has either stayed in, or recommended, this hotel.

The experience this trip was not good. I heard the the lodge has been bought by someone new in the last couple of years. Too bad!!! Their lodges and service used to be great. The only new or good thing about this trip was the hot tubs.

The cabins have gone down hill. Not kept up like they used to be. The gardens are nice but we weren't staying outside.

The help in the office have nothing on computer. When I asked them about a couple of calls I had made trying to get two more nights added on to our original reservation, they had everything written down on small pieces of paper and some hand written ledger. I guess they don't have computers.

When I wanted to add nights on they told me that I could stay the three original nights and the fifth night, but have to move out the fourth night. This was done before we left home. I asked, at the time if there were any rooms available in their other facility and was told no. When we got there, they had lots of room in their other facility. Needless to say, we stayed the three nights and moved somewhere else in Gold Beach the last two nights.

I would not stay there again, more because of attitude than facilities, although neither was very good.

• Liked — the hot tubs
  • Disliked — the service
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank want2havefun
Sacramento
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2007

I've been staying at Ireland's for almost 30 years. However, this is the first time since the ownership has changed. Ireland's has alway s been the class of the Oregon Coast. The cottages have always been rustic but well maintained; the grounds immaculate and beautiful; the service superb.

I had read a few of the recent negative reviews prior to booking, but blew it off. Boy were they right on. The cottages are still rustic, but dilapidated. The grounds are OK. The worst part however, is the service.

I initially reserved one of the cottages for two nights. A week later I called and asked if I could add another night. Reservation staff said no problem. In fact, to do business you need to go next door to the Gold Beach Inn. I think this is another property owned by the same people?

When I arrived I was told that the room was only available for two nights. They even showed me their special code on the handwritten reservation card that indicated I had only reserved two nights. According to the staff, I was very wrong. However, if I acted quickly, I could reserve another two rooms in the Gold Beach Inn. Of course the two rooms would double the cost of one night in the cottage.

The staff made absolutely no effort to make things better. Theirs was a take it or leave it attitude. No offer to lower the cost of the two rooms we would have to move in to. Not even a sorry, "we all make mistakes." If I was surprised by one thing in this experience it was the rudeness of the staff in the office. During the summer on the Oregon coast you can get away with that - for a few summers. Needless to say, after 30 years of excellent experiences, Ireland's will not be a place to stay in the future. There are other nice places in Gold Beach.

The continental breakfast? Don't get me started on that.

• Liked — It's on the Oregon coast
  • Disliked — Everything else. This was a terrible experience.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
6 Thank Bayareabud
Winston, Oregon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2007

We stayed at Irelands July 16-20th. Our room was not ready at 3pm, we came back at 4pm and still had to wait 1/2 an hour in our car before the room was ready. There is no A/C and the window screens are bent and falling out. There is no phone and no one in the office a night. Their breakfast was awful (even the cereal was bad) and the breakfast room was too crowded to even sit down. The TV reception was poor and all you could get was FOX and HBO. The fridge froze our food and the light bulbs must have been 10 watt. The flower beds were all weedy. Also there is no closet and the silverware for the kitchenette had food crusted on it. So, not a place I would even stay again.

• Liked — The pine paneling is nice.
  • Disliked — No ocean view
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends