“Beautiful view, comfortable room, group dinners.”
Review of Tu Tu Tun Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Gold Beach
Tu Tu Tun Lodge
Ranked #1 of 5 Gold Beach B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 5, 2009

The location of the hotel is beautiful. We stayed in a King room and, as others noted, the room was a bit on the small side (as was the bathroom) but we had a terrace which I used alot. We didn't have neighbors on their terraces so it felt very private. The room and bath were very well appointed.

Drinks and hor d'vers are served at 6:15 (you are paying for the drinks even though it didn't seem that way) and dinner at group tables at 7. That was one thing that we hadn't planned on. One night the company was a winner; one night was a loser. We had breakfast (granola, fruit and coffee cake) in our room because I'm just not up to being that social in the morning and we don't eat big breakfasts.

One other issue was that they do not provide "do no disturb" signs for the doors and we had the cleaning folks start to open the door while we were still in bed. Another couple had the same experience. That might be something for them to invest in.

Reviewed June 28, 2009

My husband and I only stayed one night (unfortunately), but this resort goes above and beyond. It's the details that puts one spot over the top of another. The location is beautiful, peaceful and serene. The flowers and plants are gorgeous and not so manicured as to look like a park, but more of an organized chaos that fits into a more natural setting. There are sets of Adirondack chairs strategically placed along the grounds and river, but again not so many as to look like a major resort setting up for the day. The staff instantly begins to call you by name- although this is somewhat creepy and impressive at the same time since I can never remember names. They offer numerous wines to taste. They are the only place I've ever been that offers Cakebread wines by the glass. My husband and I kayaked on the river and met up with a family of otters. I had a massage in the cabana by the river. Dinner was wonderful and served family style as a large wooden lazy susan is in the middle of each table. We did not have a room with a soaking tub, but it was extremely comfortable and the view is spectacular. Further, there was a staff member the next morning who was apparently wiping off the dew from all the outside seats and tables. The devil is in the details. I highly recommend it.

Reviewed June 21, 2009

A perfect weekend. This small but absolutely wonderful resort is located on the Rogue River in Southern Oregon. The attention to detail is beyond what I would expect. The staff to a one is accommodating, smiling and friendly. The rooms are spotless, the views tremendous and the food is wonderful. A set menu is served each evening following canapes and cocktails in the lodge's main room. Breakfast runs the gamut from granola and yogurt to salmon hash with poached eggs and hollandaise. I can't begin to tell you how wonderful this was and we have been to many highly rated locations. It is a perfect 10!

Reviewed June 5, 2009

After three years of reading numerous travel magazine Top 10 lists and reviews singing the praises of the Tu Tu Tun Lodge, we finally made it up to Gold Beach, Oregon last weekend for a four-night stay to celebrate our wedding anniversary. Our high expectations we met and exceeded in every way.

First, the lodge is perfectly situated on the Rogue River with one of the most amazing views we've ever had at a resort/hotel. We spent much of the first day just staring in silent awe at the river, trees and light fog. Spendid. The rooms are beautiful - ours had a fireplace and outdoor soaking tub. The showers are huge (with two shower heads) and the king-sized bed was very, very comfortable.

The service was first-rate - we knew within twenty minutes of checking-in why its consistently ranked among the world's best. Everyone on staff greeted us by our first names everytime we saw them. They went out of their way to help us finish some unexpected work back home which required constant faxing and phone calls during the first two days of our stay. That was much appreciated. And you can tell from all of the repeat guests (some for over 30 years) that you become "family" very quickly.

The food was the best surprise. We expexted top-notch Pacific Northwest cuisine based on previous reviews, but actually tasting it went far beyond what we imagined. I already miss the different homemade pop-overs that they made for every dinner. During our stay, we had awesome halibut, smoked veal, buffalo rib-eye, and scallops. Each dinner features a full appetizer spread of some outstanding food (marlin ceviche, anyone?) followed by soup, salad, entree and dessert - all culled from their organic garden. The breakfasts were also amazing - I eat a lot and never skip lunch, but they fed us so well that I survived quite well on two meals a day!

Our only gripes were the lack of cell phone service and reliable wireless internet outside the main house. What started out as gripes turned into relief by the end of the trip when we realized that being "out of pocket" made it that much easier for us to reconnect with one another and the quite solitude of this beautiful place.

The best comparison that we would come up with is the La Casa Que Canta in Mexico - similar levels of service, cuisine and room quality. One is a tropical paradise while the other is the perfect woodsy, mountain retreat from the craziness of urban life.

We loved it so much that we couldn't wait to write a review (our first on Tripadvisor) and tell our friends about the great experience. Now, we just have to plan our return visit for 2010!

Reviewed June 3, 2009

This was our first trip along the Oregon coast and it was everything we had hoped for! Our cousin recommended Tu Tu Tun Lodge and it was really a wonderful place right on the river. We wished that we had time to take a guide trip but that leaves something for next time. The room, the food, the service was top notch.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 25, 2009

Oh how different our experience was in April at Tu Tu Tun to that of Ballyholmebake’s. We were informed when we made our reservation that the Lodge was not operating full service until May 1st. We considered this an advantage as it meant that my husband and I would have the opportunity to enjoy this beautiful property at a bargain price.
I didn’t read the magazines in our room as I was more interested in savoring every tranquil moment from our balcony which overlooked the Rogue River. When I could jolt my thoughts back to the practical realities of running an establishment such as this, I couldn’t help but wonder how much the overhead must be to maintain the Lodge and the almost palatial grounds surrounding it. A delightful young lady who is a full time horticulturist on site told us that there were 6,000 (yes, six thousand) plants on the property which needed to be planted for this season. It boggles the mind.
The employees at Tu Tu Tun are so gracious and, while I have no idea what their salaries must be, I thought that there wouldn’t be enough money in the State of Oregon to pay me to be so pleasant to people at all times as they were. This applies to the new owner right on down. A perfect example was the time that we arrived back from a day trip at 5:35 PM which meant that we had missed the complementary wine hour which operates when the hotel is not running in the full service mode. We walked to the closed bar and asked if we might have a glass of wine to take back to our room. Well, not only did we receive one but someone in the kitchen stayed late to make us a magnificent tray of hors d’oeuvres to accompany our wine. It was a magnificent offering of a very high standard, so much so that we didn’t need to go out to dinner that evening.
It is clear from the numerous rave reviews received in the past that the new owner, Kyle, has very big shoes to fill. We flew from the East Coast and drove six hours from Portland for the express purpose of staying at the Tu Tu Tun Lodge and, it appears to us, his feet are a perfect fit.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 15, 2009

The good: The location, setting, cleanliness, comfort, decor, are all exceptional.
The bad: Room size was cramped, non existant off-season service, meagre breakfast.
The ugly: Pretentious "theme" of this lodge which takes every opportunity to boast of its mentions in some hotel trade magazines but locks it doors to it own guests and leaves a stale breakfast in your room when you arrive for you to "enjoy" the next day.

I spent one night here with my wife when we toured the Oregon coast. The room furnishings were beautiful and the view of the river was worth the drive, however the room was cramped, but fine for a night or two. The hotel kitchen is closed in the winter so they serve a glass of wine and some snacks to the guests at 4:30 each day and then the lodge itself is locked down at 6:00pm until 9:00am the next day, so guests have no access to the bar or lounge area. So they have to drive into town to eat or relax out side of your room. When you arrive your continental breakfast is already in your room for the next day, so you are expected to eat in your room.
The welcome folder in the room waxes lyrical about how wonderful an experience the lodge provides, and brags with page after page of puff pieces from travel trade magazines. It raves about the Italian bedding and the thread count of the sheets and the incredible service that is available but all the while your breakfast muffin is becoming a little more stale while it waits for morning. I found the whole thing very pretentious, self-serving and misleading.
The facts are that the in the winter here the owners bar the guests from the premises for a large part of each day and serve day-old muffins and museli and some other measly offerings while expecting you to appreciate their style. I've travelled very extensively and even the smallest European village gasthaus or pension can manage to serve fresh goods and make coffee in the morning for their guests. It's called the hospitality industry for a reason isn't it? So I'm baffled how this place manages to get a way with this lack of service. This place is really best avoided in my opinion, and fortunately there are lots of other options available along this stretch of the Rogue river. I will come back to this area again but not to this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple