“Will definitely go back!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Tu Tu Tun Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Gold Beach
Tu Tu Tun Lodge
Ranked #1 of 5 Gold Beach B&B and Inns
River Vale, NJ
“Will definitely go back!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2009

Oh how different our experience was in April at Tu Tu Tun to that of Ballyholmebake’s. We were informed when we made our reservation that the Lodge was not operating full service until May 1st. We considered this an advantage as it meant that my husband and I would have the opportunity to enjoy this beautiful property at a bargain price.
I didn’t read the magazines in our room as I was more interested in savoring every tranquil moment from our balcony which overlooked the Rogue River. When I could jolt my thoughts back to the practical realities of running an establishment such as this, I couldn’t help but wonder how much the overhead must be to maintain the Lodge and the almost palatial grounds surrounding it. A delightful young lady who is a full time horticulturist on site told us that there were 6,000 (yes, six thousand) plants on the property which needed to be planted for this season. It boggles the mind.
The employees at Tu Tu Tun are so gracious and, while I have no idea what their salaries must be, I thought that there wouldn’t be enough money in the State of Oregon to pay me to be so pleasant to people at all times as they were. This applies to the new owner right on down. A perfect example was the time that we arrived back from a day trip at 5:35 PM which meant that we had missed the complementary wine hour which operates when the hotel is not running in the full service mode. We walked to the closed bar and asked if we might have a glass of wine to take back to our room. Well, not only did we receive one but someone in the kitchen stayed late to make us a magnificent tray of hors d’oeuvres to accompany our wine. It was a magnificent offering of a very high standard, so much so that we didn’t need to go out to dinner that evening.
It is clear from the numerous rave reviews received in the past that the new owner, Kyle, has very big shoes to fill. We flew from the East Coast and drove six hours from Portland for the express purpose of staying at the Tu Tu Tun Lodge and, it appears to us, his feet are a perfect fit.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Everett, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2009

The good: The location, setting, cleanliness, comfort, decor, are all exceptional.
The bad: Room size was cramped, non existant off-season service, meagre breakfast.
The ugly: Pretentious "theme" of this lodge which takes every opportunity to boast of its mentions in some hotel trade magazines but locks it doors to it own guests and leaves a stale breakfast in your room when you arrive for you to "enjoy" the next day.

I spent one night here with my wife when we toured the Oregon coast. The room furnishings were beautiful and the view of the river was worth the drive, however the room was cramped, but fine for a night or two. The hotel kitchen is closed in the winter so they serve a glass of wine and some snacks to the guests at 4:30 each day and then the lodge itself is locked down at 6:00pm until 9:00am the next day, so guests have no access to the bar or lounge area. So they have to drive into town to eat or relax out side of your room. When you arrive your continental breakfast is already in your room for the next day, so you are expected to eat in your room.
The welcome folder in the room waxes lyrical about how wonderful an experience the lodge provides, and brags with page after page of puff pieces from travel trade magazines. It raves about the Italian bedding and the thread count of the sheets and the incredible service that is available but all the while your breakfast muffin is becoming a little more stale while it waits for morning. I found the whole thing very pretentious, self-serving and misleading.
The facts are that the in the winter here the owners bar the guests from the premises for a large part of each day and serve day-old muffins and museli and some other measly offerings while expecting you to appreciate their style. I've travelled very extensively and even the smallest European village gasthaus or pension can manage to serve fresh goods and make coffee in the morning for their guests. It's called the hospitality industry for a reason isn't it? So I'm baffled how this place manages to get a way with this lack of service. This place is really best avoided in my opinion, and fortunately there are lots of other options available along this stretch of the Rogue river. I will come back to this area again but not to this hotel.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Ballyholmebake
Fortuna, ca
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2009

My husband and I stayed 1 night here on our coastal trip. We stayed off season because I read so much about this place and wanted to try it but normally could not afford the prices. We stayed in a king room that was small but very nicely decorated. Very comfortable bed. The staff was friendly and helpful. Wonderful hors d'oeuvres were served with drinks starting at 4:30. The town of Gold Beach was only 15 minutes away so dinner was not a problem. Our room had a coffee maker and refrigerator in it. A wonderful breakfast basket was left for us. There was huge basket of fruit, granola, Muffin, butter, yogurt, milk coffee, tea and juice. It was a nice place to stay off season but too pricey for the summer. The walls were thin and we heard the couple next door. There is a balcony, but if you have someone next door outside at the same time, it does feel a little close. The grounds are very nice and it is a good place to unwind. I would stay here again off season but not pay more than the $139 we paid.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jillybeanpink
Dayville, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2009

Stopped here on a west coast road trip. My favorite destination. The staff is incredible, the rooms are GORGEOUS and homey - This is a stay like no other. You will be dying to return and will be sad if your trip is short like ours was (only had one night). Cannot say enough great things about this place.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
portland, oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2009

We stayed here one night and wished we had booked several. Since this was off season, we didn't get to have dinner there, which was too bad. Our room was lovely -- king-size bed with fireplace and incredible river view. We also had a coffee maker, robes, hair dryer, and all the other amenities you would expect. We enjoyed the wine and hors d'oeuvres at 4:30 in the afternoon, and the continental breakfast that was provided in our room was lovely and plentiful -- granola, yogurt, fruit, muffins. We will definitely be back in high season to enjoy this wonderful lodge.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
san clemente
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2009

I can't say enough good stuff about this lodge. We stayed in the Bacon Flat room and it was sooo beautiful and romantic. The in room fireplace, the private outdoor soaking tub, the view of the river all made for memories with my husband that i will cherish for ever. Go there, you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank marinemistress
El Paso, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2009

My husband and I stayed here for our first night at the start of our coastal road trip from Washington down to California (part of his welcome home from Iraq). I had read many wonderful reviews including the ones here on trip advisor and also in some books and magazines. Based on what I had read I had decided to surprise my husband with a stay here and we were so wonderfully surprised. We arrived late in the evening and had already notified of a late arrival and found the keys to our room with no problem. The room itself was wonderful, and I found myself not wanting to wake up the next morning. Since the restaurant is closed during the winter there was a tray with breakfast already in our room, and I must say the granola was wonderful. After breakfast we walked around a bit enjoying the scenery outside, then headed into the lodge itself and were made a fresh pot of coffee to enjoy by the big stone fireplace. We enjoyed our stay immensely and can't wait to come back again, perhaps to enjoy more than one night during the summertime.

Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple