“Nice Place!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tu Tu Tun Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Gold Beach
Tu Tu Tun Lodge
Ranked #1 of 5 Gold Beach B&B and Inns
Cincinnati, OH
“Nice Place!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2008

Stayed a few days in end of December. Peaceful, relaxing, and friendly atmosphere. Room was terrific.

• Liked — Views, atmosphere
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SteelerFan08

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
New Albany, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2008

My wife, 10 year son and I had a very pleasant stay at the Tu Tu’ Tun lodge this past July. I would recommend it to others.

What makes the lodge special is the staff – even though the proprietors, Dirk and Laurie, were largely absent during our stay (off to visit relatives over the 4th of July weekend, I was told), they left the lodge in good hands – we always felt well attended to and cared for. We were even greeted by name when we walked into the lodge to check-in (presumably, we were the only missing family with a 10 year old son).

The lodge building itself is very gracious, and the outdoor areas – especially the patio area immediately outside where pre-dinner appetizers are served – are delightful. There are plenty of places to sit, relax and/or read in the afternoon. The lodge sets up a table with drinks (great iced tea) and cookies, which I enjoyed every afternoon when we returned from our activities.

We found the food served at breakfast and dinner to be very good. Since dinner is served family style, you can have anything you want to eat – so long as it is what the lodge is serving. Happily, I liked all the food on offer – and even those things that I wouldn’t normally select for dinner were very well prepared and tasty.

The lodge is sited just close enough to the ocean (about 7 miles) to enjoy the benefits of the cool ocean air. So, while 10 miles into the interior the temperature was well over 90, at the lodge it was a cool 72.

I have but two quibbles – which are the reason I don’t give the lodge the highest score possible. We stayed in the Steelhead suite, which has 2 rooms. A well-appointed living room, and a separate bedroom with two beds. The lodge might have been in the process of refurnishing the bedroom, but it inexplicably had but one light – a single lamp on the bed stand between the beds. That made the room very dark at night, and hard for anyone not immediately next to the bed to read.

The other quibble goes to air conditioning. Because the suite is upstairs, it gets warm during the day. Both rooms were equipped with air conditioners to compensate. For whatever reason, the air conditioner in the living room didn’t work. I said something to the front desk, and was promised that it would be attended to. It never was. I didn’t say remind anyone – but I shouldn’t have had to.

All told, however, the very reasonable pricing of the lodge, its gracious setting, and the overall friendliness and warmth of the staff would make me happy to return for another visit. I recommend the Tu Tu’ Tun Lodge to discerning travelers.

• Liked — Terrific staff
  • Disliked — Poor bedroom lighting, non-functioning air conditioner
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank OrrvilleRedRider
Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2007

The Tu Tu Tun is a very special place. We stayed over a long Thanksgiving weekend and while the lodge has reduced their services for their winter months (eg: no dinner is served, no boat rides), we knew that going in. They were very helpful and recommended enjoyable hikes in the area. Gold Beach at this time of year does not have a lot going on - but it is perfect when you just want to relax, listen to the river, hike, read by the stone fireplace, etc. The restaurant we liked was Port Hole Cafe - not much in ambience but good "pub food" - this is where the locals eat - generally a good sign.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank twotrvlers
Salem, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2007

Rarely do I give five-star reviews to lodgings; I give Tu Tu’ Tun the full handful of stars. It’s really that good.

GETTING THERE: Long drive, but half the fun. From I-5, take Highway 38 for an easy river gorge pass through the coastal mountains to Reedsport. Then drive south on the coast highway for two hours. You’ll round corners and gasp: think “Jurassic Park” opening scenes.

THE STAFF: What is it about these folks? They make you feel like you’re old friends. Obviously they consider social skills when hiring their staff, from the innkeepers to the housekeepers to the maintenance guys. All that warm feeling spills over to the guests who seem friendlier than the average Joe and Jane. Or maybe they’re just happy to be there and in fine spirits. My husband dropped a credit card in the parking lot and one of these Joes or Janes immediately turned it into the office for us.

THE LOBBY: Hotel or inn lobbies aren’t normally places I like to hang out, but theirs has more of a cozy living room feel. You’ll find yourself stopping by every afternoon for the complimentary stuffed mushrooms, goat cheese with crackers, and glass of wine. Red or white.

FOOD: We went off-season when they don’t serve dinner, but we did get a nice spread of continental foods delivered to our Garden House each day. Home-made granola, yogurt, muffins, fresh fruit and juices. Between that and the appetizers in the lobby, plus a few of our own snacks, we didn’t need to go into town for dinner.

GARDEN HOUSE: We stayed in this lovely homestead home built by the original Swedish owner in the 1930’s. It’s been updated since, but still retains much of its old flavor and fun. The mattresses and linens are top rate in the one bedroom downstairs and the two up.

The main downstairs bathroom, remodeled a few years ago, is nothing fancy; if you are looking for high-end glass walk-in showers and heated towel racks, you are in the wrong place. One of the upstairs bedrooms has a toilet and sink partially separated from the sleeping area by a slatted screen. Unless you have young children or a group of close same-sex friends sharing the upstairs bedrooms, this bathroom may be a little too intimate for all to use. The second upstairs bedroom guests would have to make the trek downstairs. Remember, this is a homestead cottage and it’s all part of the charm of getting to stay there. I hear all the rooms at the Motel 6 have private bathrooms.

The kitchen has the latest slate and stainless stuff, but the best part was how well equipped it was. Complete sets of cutlery, cookware and spices. Piles of cookbooks, small bins of flour, white sugar and brown sugar. Good, fresh-ground coffee in the fridge—decaf and regular both. Plus cream. It almost made me want to cook.

VALUE: The Tu Tu’ Tun isn’t cheap, but there are deals to be had if you go in the winter months. It’ll be too cold and rainy to play outside much, but you’ll pay half price and have the place nearly to yourselves.

We got an even better deal after Assistant Innkeeper Cindy knocked off part of our lodging costs following a 5 ½ hour power outage. A major Pacific storm had left us in the dark one evening. Us, a huge stone fireplace, stacks of wood, candles, chocolate, and our i-Pod stereo. Cindy called to tell us she was sending over the maintenance guys with more wood, candles and beverages.

We piled blankets and pillows in front of the roaring fire and decided if you had to get storm-stuck in the dark somewhere—anywhere—this was surely the place. My husband of 25 years and I had one of the most romantic evenings of our lives. Instead of getting the power-outage discount, we felt like we should have paid the Tu Tu’ Tun Lodge extra. Next time we go, we may just have to pull some fuses. And pretend.

• Liked — The peacefulness and beauty of the location, the hospitality
  • Disliked — That the power went back on
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
11 Thank ArtistJames
Medford, OR
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2007

My wife and I just spent two wonderful days/nites at Tu Tu Tun. The accomodations are charmingly rustic and most comfortable. The owners, Dirk & Laurie, are very interested in making your stay a memorable one, and they and their staff do a great job. If you want big-city ambience, go to the Ritz-Carlton. If you love nature, peace & quiet, and friendly people, go to Tu Tu Tun Lodge. I read a couple negative reviews, and can only conclude that the writers must have stayed at a different place than we did. My only regret was that we could not stay a month.
The food was fantastic, the optional social times were fun and interesting, and it seemed that they were most willing to do anything to make our stay most enjoyable. Beautiful gardens, dinner with interesting people, competent and friendly staff, what's not to like? I will be returning at earliest opportunity.

Stayed October 2007
5 Thank KrifflBear
Irvine, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2007

I selected Tu Tu Tun as a surprise vacation to celebrate my partner's special birthday and we could not have been more pleased. Although we have been to the central and northern Oregon coast many times, this was our first venture to the Gold Beach region. Tu Tu Tun exceeded all of our expectations which were indeed very high after the #1 rating in T & L. The property is beautiful and perfectly maintained. Our room was extremely comfortable with an excellent bed, wonderful reading chairs and a terrific wood-burning fireplace. The meals were outstanding with great care taken to satisfy the special dietary requirements of my partner. Although there were times when we might have preferred dining at a table for two, the other guests were so interesting and companionable that eating family style was always very pleasant. Perhaps the most memorable feature of the hotel was the warm hospitality provided by the owners Laurie & Dirk, the front desk staff and also not to forget the four-legged hotel mascots Patchy and Riley. Tu Tu Tun is definitely on our list of places we must return to!

Stayed October 2007
6 Thank Joseph L
Coos Bay, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2007

We stayed at the lodge during the high season, when a meal plan is available. I agree with other reviews in terms of the quality of the customer service; truly exceptional. The food is also very good; served family style at large tables. Some reviews said the food was not up to snuff - this is not an urban upscale location - expect well-made, from scratch, simpler dishes. We had salmon one night and ribeyes the second night. They packed us a huge lunch for our hike. Breakfast was great.
The rooms were very comfortable, and there was plenty to do on the grounds and close by, if you like the outdoors.
During the off-season, a meal plan is not available. We have friends who take their children in the off-season, rent the suites with kitchens and have a good family getaway. Note that children under 10 aren't allowed during the high season.
We are in our early 40's; I would say most of the other guests were older than we are...50's and 60's. We are not normally big fans of the communal eating concept, but it was fine. Those who like bed and breakfasts will think this is the ultimate...like a little community.
The level of cleanliness was more along the lines of a bed and breakfast, as compared to a hotel. Not as clean as I would like, but I probably notice these things a little more than most.
Overall, a unique getaway and a lot of fun. Very relaxing.

• Liked — customer service
  • Disliked — bed & breakfast eating atmosphere
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Jennifer G