“Ewww Tu Tu Tun its a total joke !!!”
Review of Tu Tu Tun Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Gold Beach
Tu Tu Tun Lodge
Ranked #1 of 5 Gold Beach B&B and Inns
seattle washington
“Ewww Tu Tu Tun its a total joke !!!”
Reviewed October 7, 2007

I Stayed At Tu Tu Tun Because I Heard Some Excellent Things About This Hotel They Were Voted Number One This Year For BEST HOTEL IN THE U S. When I Made A Reservation The Lady I Was Talking To Didnt Know Much About The Rooms When I Asked If She Could Describe Them She Told Me It Had A King Size Bed And A View With A River Thats All She Was Not Into It At All For A Top Hotel They Should Make You Feel Really Excited About Staying There. But I Booked The Reservation Anyways.

When I Got There I Was Not At All Impressed It Was Rustic Not Fancy But Rustic And They Charge A Fortune For It. I Could Hear The Log Trucks From The Road Driving By, And Dinner Was AWFUL Why They Make Sit At A Long Table And Eat With The Other Guests While Your Staying There So Im Sitting By Someone I Dont Even Know For That Much Money I Rather Eat My Dinner In My Room. It Wasnt All That Good Either I Think Spinners In Gold Beach Is Alot Better.

I WAS DISAPPOINTED WITH THERE SERVICE . THEY WEREN'T AS PLEASANT AS I THOUGHT THEY WOULD BE A LITTLE RUDE AND FULL OF THEMSELVES ACTUALLY. TU TU TUN IS NOT ALL ITS CRACKED UP TO BE. I WOULD NEVER STAY THERE AGAIN.

• Liked — river view
  • Disliked — noise staff sitting arrangement at dinner
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank pacificdiamond74

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed August 21, 2007

I had been waiting for years to come here. When my family and I began planning to drive down the Oregon coast for a two-week summer vacation in August 2007, I knew that I finally had my opportunity. I made our reservations almost a year in advance and the Tu Tu Tun Lodge exceeded my expectations in every way possible. We stayed in the Garden House for two nights, and wish we had been able to stay longer. Tu Tu Tun's main lodge and rooms face the Rogue River. The Garden House is its own separate entity, tucked away across the grounds in a very private setting. We felt very secluded. There is an apple orchard right outside and deer graze on the property. It has one bedroom downstairs and two bedrooms upstairs. The Garden House has a big and modern kitchen, a huge living room and a beautiful dining room. There was a private deck with a two-person soaking tub. A newspaper is delivered to the house on a tray with coffee and tea in the morning. We could have just locked the doors and stayed in the Garden House and been deliriously happy, but having the main lodge a minute's walk away made things even better. The lobby area is tranquil and relaxing. The owners, Dirk and Laurie were friendly and welcoming. They (and their daughter, Kyrsten who works there, too) call you by your first name at every opportunity. You really feel "at home" here. Yes, it's expensive but you get what you pay for and at Tu Tu Tun lodge, you get a lot: there's a wonderful gourmet breakfast, snacks and munchies in the afternoon, and a gourmet dinner at night following a glorious happy hour featuring superb appetizers on the deck overlooking the river. I had a great massage from Maya in the private, riverfront cabana (my wife got a great massage from her in front of the fireplace in our Garden House living room the next day) and my family and I enjoyed a private dinner in that same cabana that night. The Lodge chef and kitchen staff are world class. The bar features a terrific list of regional wines. There's a small (but inviting) pool and, of course, the Rogue River just a stone's throw away. Our family kayaked but didn't do take advantage of the jetboats that stop at the lodge's dock to pick up and drop off passengers. We came here in early August and the weather was perfect, but be advised that the Oregon coastal area can be quite unpredictable and indeed, even though we drove away from Tu Tu Tun in bright sunshine, five miles away we were fogged in at the coast. If you pay attention to travel magazines, you know that Tu Tu Tun has won numerous awards and that is going to make it difficult to get a reservation in the future. In fact, Dirk showed me his reservation book and it was absolutely jam packed. You can find solitude here and just relax. I'm already going through Tu Tu Tun withdrawl!!!! If I could change one thing about our stay, it would be the bathroom configuration upstairs. The two upper
bedrooms share a bathroom, but the toilet isn't in its own separate room: it's actually in one of the bedrooms with a privacy screen. And it doesn't have a separate shower, just a tub. Which meant that, although our 13-year old boy/girl twins each had a room to themselves, there were a few awkward bathroom moments and Mon & Dad shared our downstairs shower with them. That's really a small price to pay for finding such a jewel as Tu Tu Tun. Here's a major clue as to what a wonderful spot this is: in the Garden House there are four different guest books dating back to the early 1990's. Each is filled to the brim with compliments, accolades, and warm remembrances of time spent there. Here's what I wrote: "Time stands still here, but every second seems to matter." I can't wait to come back! Congratulations Dirk and Laurie (and the entire staff) for creating Shangri La.

• Liked — The great location, warm and friendly hospitality, terrific food and incredible accomodations!
  • Disliked — Bathroom sharing upstairs in the Garden House.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank TravelingManVan
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed August 14, 2007

The whole experience was delightful.
After check-in we relaxed by the pool and enjoyed the ice tea and snacks. Next, we used the kayaks for a peaceful little trip, back in time to get changed for the dinner bell.
And what a pleasant evening... we enjoyed our drinks on the patio with unique appetizers and chatted with another couple.
Our hosts seated us by name, with 6 other guests for the 4-course dinner. We ordered a bottle of wine with appetizers.. and our host brought it to the dinner table once we were all seated.
Our evening closed with a soak in the "moon bath" on our deck. Not a noisy jetted tub--but a deep soaker we filled ourselves and sat and watched the river flow by the moonlight. And then continued to enjoy the moonlit river from the comfortable king bed.
In the morning, we enjoyed a beautiful 2-course breakfast and that fabulous view again.
The river, the scenery, the setting, the grounds are so beautiful.
We will go back..

• Liked — Setting
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank ChiantiKid
Califonia
Reviewed August 7, 2007

After I had heard through word of mouth about this great lodge in Gold Beach OR. and read some of the reviews, I discussed the possibility of staying there with my husband this summer on our vacation.He agreed and I was, I have to say ,a little sorry. The lodge is charming in it's own way but the service and food was mediocre. The chicken dinner was over $50 dollars a plate and no matter what we ate it was smothered in garlic. The dining atmosphere was noisy and the owners,who are there for dinner and appetizers, were crass and loud. I overheard an antisymatic jewish comment comming from the owner who was in the front office with another employee.I couldn't belive my ears.

It is located along the beautiful Rogue River, the draw back however, is the fact that it is not isolated. There is a very noisy highway right in front of the lodge and other private residences a stones throw away. The website is a tad misleading. There are no walking paths close by and the town,which is 15 min. away has nothing to offer. I will not repeat the same mistake twice.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple