“unit 660”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Gearhart
Portland, Oregon
“unit 660”
Reviewed July 17, 2013

This unit is so much in need of upgrading. It has a limited view of ocean. Dishwasher is so poor, you can't utilize it to the max. Terrible waste of space. No disposal. Deck is ugh! Bathrooms need serious attention. Housekeeping staff is attentive, but simply does not cover for the deficiencies in this unit. They've jammed in as much furniture as possible so that you can hardly walk through the unit without bumping into something. Closets in master BR were without rods, no hangers. Way too much money for what you get. I've stayed in units for half this money and been better served! Don't rent this unless desperate!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank roger j
GBTSManager, Manager at Gearhart by the Sea, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Thank you for letting me know about your stay. We do not have garbage disposals in the units because we are on a septic system as there is no city sewer. I will look at the dishwasher and have it repaired or replaced. I will send your response to the owner of this unit regarding your concerns.

Thanks,

Paul Tice

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Palm Springs, California
Reviewed July 13, 2013

We have stayed here the last 4 years. This year we were in 714 and it was very comfortable. When booking a condo at Gearhart you must review the pictures of the available condo's. We have found the best thing to do is while staying here ask to see other rentals then pick. Tami is a great help and we talk to her every year. We enjoy staying in the north wing (2+ bedrooms and bath's) because it faces the ocean. I recommend staying on the 4th or 5th floor (highest). We have stayed twice on the 5th floor but the owners have not updated the unit and it is not comfortable for use. The views on either floor are excellent. Some units do allow pets. We will be back next year. Great driving on the beach. Location is great for the family we visit. I find this the best location because it is not congested like Seaside or Astoria.

Room Tip: Depends on number of bedrooms and view you want. Ocean views best in North Wing but here the units...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank USMC178
Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 5, 2013

My niece wanted to go to Seaside for her graduation present from me. So I booked the Gearhart by the Sea. When I called I asked for a room that had a full ocean view I explained that I was coming from Texas and wanted to see the beautiful pacific ocean. We checked in on a Friday and when I opened the doors it was way more than what I expected. The view was exactly what I was looking for the room was so big it had 2 rooms and 2 bathrooms. A full size kitchen and a living room and dining room. It felt like we were staying in someone's apartment. The staff was so friendly and helpful. If I ever make it back to OR I will make sure that this is where I stay.

1 Thank sshouston1
Pleasanton, California
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I love Gearhart. I'm 40 years old, and the first time I was there was in 1985 with my parents, grandparents, and aunts and uncles and cousins. So this place is sort of special to my family. June was the first time we'd been back since the 80s, and I'm happy to report that it's just as wonderful as I remembered.

We stayed in the single-level condos closest to the beach, which are behind the high-rise unit. My family stayed in one (405) that allowed our lab to join us, and my parents and brother's family stayed in an equally outfitted condo (412) a few units down. The place had everything we needed, including a VHS "MovieWalker" and a library of movies for the whole family. Super fun! The kitchen is well stocked, there are plenty of comfortable chairs, and the beds were fine. The kids had a blast discovering the "craftmatic adjustable bed" in the second bedroom.

Our only complaint is ventilation. None of the windows open. Only the doors open, but there are no screen doors to keep in dogs and kids and keep out the bugs. There's no A/C or fan (that we could find), but the maintenance guy brought us a box fan to stick in the door. Problem solved.

It opens to the beach, so it was a short walk down to the water. The view is wonderful, obviously. It's just a peaceful, relaxing, easy place to be.

The location is central, too, to most things on the northern Oregon coast. The small town of Gearhart is just minutes away -- the Safeway is about 5 minutes a way, but there's a great little market just up the road within walking distance -- Seaside is 10 - 15 minutes away, Astoria is 20 minutes or so north, and Tillamook is about an hour south.

2 Thank ltoneill
Beaverton, Oregon
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Location was great. Close to the ocean and sand and accessible to Seaside, Ft. Clatsop, Ft. Stevens and stores.

Very clean and kitchen was very adequate for meals with its counter space and seating for people.. Spectacular views of the ocean and nice fireplace and nicely furnished. Lots of parking and great for children. Playground area and walking distance to the sand.

1 Thank lynnf49
Oregon
Reviewed June 25, 2013

My husband and I stayed two nights in unit 663, on the 3rd floor, with a spectacular view of the ocean. Our privately owned condo was very a nicely furnished, one bedroom with a fireplace, flat screen TV and pull out sofa. The kitchen had an island with plenty of counter space for preparing our meals. You could tell the owners took pride in this place, as everything seemed to be recently updated. Even the carpet looked and smelled fairly new. The balcony was nice and private, perfect for sitting outside with a bottle of wine and watching the sun set. I understand that some of the units in this building are not as updated as ours was, so its a good idea to check out the website before you book. My only complaint is that the hot tub was not in service when we wanted a nice soak - there was caution tape around it. However, we will be back next time we are in the area for some R & R.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Our arrival was greeted by the most unfriendly, rude, condescending woman I've seen in 42 years of traveling. Then, we get to the room. The room was dated, a king bed crammed in a room not designed for it, the old tv stuffed in the bedroom closet on an old dresser that was then plugged into an outlet outside the closet causing the power cord to be pinched. The night stand was a TV tray that was dirty from someone's coffee and donut from a prior stay. Extension cords (very old ones) were ran around behind a dresser and under the bed to power lights. There was another dresser crammed into the side of the room and its drawers were filthy. The bathroom was dated, rusty and moldy. The shower door opened with difficulty thanks to the dirt and grime, rust and mold. The towels were stained stringy.....awful. You couldn't determine if they had been washed. Within a short time we started itching. We don't know why but suspect mold or other airborne filth. Then we saw fleas....and that was it. We went back to the office, and no one was there to help. So we left the keys and a note. No, they haven't refunded our money or called. The place is a fire hazard with the extension cords/outdated electrical and we wouldn't stay there if it was free!

Room Tip: Just don't go there, you will regret it. There are some actually nice places on the beach that...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Dean B

Travelers are raving about these Gearhart hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Gearhart
Best Western Ocean View Resort
#1 of 14 in Astoria
Gearhart Ocean Inn
Gearhart Ocean Inn
#1 of 3 in Gearhart

Been to Gearhart by the Sea? Share your experiences!