“Fitzgerald’s Cottages”

Ranked #1 of 3 Gearhart B&B and Inns
Victoria, Canada
“Fitzgerald’s Cottages”
Reviewed October 31, 2013

We've been traveling to Gearhart and staying at the Fitzgerald's Cottages for five or six years now during the Labor Day weekend to celebrate our anniversary and relax. The Fitzgerald's Cottages are part of the Gearhart Ocean Inn and we enjoy having our own cottage. We bring our dog with us and appreciate that our pet is welcome. Gearhart is very pet friendly. The cottage has its own fire pit which we use nightly. Gearhart has wonderful beaches and you can even drive your vehicle on the beach. Beach fires, barbeques and tailgating are very common on the Labor Day weekend I must admit nothing beats sitting on the beach with a fire and bottle of wine to watch the sun go down. We look forward to continuing our visits to Gearhart and the Fitzgerald Cottage's on a yearly basis.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
DBLGearhartOregon, Owner at Gearhart Ocean Inn, responded to this review, February 8, 2014
Dear Guests,

We are very appreciative of your loyal patronage to the Fitzgerald's Cottages every year to celebrate your anniversary. It is really fun for us to see you two (& your pup) out and about in town and heading to the quiet Gearhart beach to enjoy each other and the gorgeous Oregon coast sunsets. Until next time,

With gratitude,
--Tracy & staff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Marco Island, Florida
Reviewed October 30, 2013

My adult son and I decided for his birthday to drive from Bellingham Washington down the Oregon coast. Since I wanted it to be a special time, I searched for a special place to stay while we road tripped. I did not want to stay in a touristy place. In searching the internet I came upon the small town of Gearhart Oregon. There was a small shingled cottage style Inn with 12 units.The Gearhart Ocean Inn. It looked cute and we wanted low key. I booked for the weekend Sept 7th and 8th. The place is clean and quiet,, full kitchen, separate bedroom, cosy fireplace.. Just like out of a picture book. But.what made the place were the owners and staff, who were exceptional.( and I travel for a living) We were late arriving and we got a call wondering where we were and that they would leave the light on for us. The inn is at the town crossroads which consists of a very nice restaurant, a bakery, a grocery store and a real estate office. That is it. The beach is a short distance away with a deep sand duned grassy area, trails and benches leading to an unspoiled, non crowded, spectacular beach. Like it was all there just for you.
The bedroom had two beds that had down quilts and puffy pillows. Once you got in bed, you didn't want to leave, it felt so good. Again, the place was clean,quiet and nicely decorated. We got our wonderful bakery items and came back to the Inn,which had an area in back with tables and chairs, to eat our breakfast in a grassed area surrounded by beautiful flowers. I had told the office it was my son's birthday and that I didn't order their special package. Then forgot about the conversation. When we returned to the inn, there was a handwritten birthday card with some chocolates. We just couldn't believe the caring and thoughtfulness.The beds were always made again and turned down. Towels replaced as necessary. They are very environmentally conscious. Everyone was cheerful, helpful, smiling and concerned about your stay. Follow up e-mails to wish you a good trip home and to say thank you for staying. Book well in advance in season. This is a place worth staying at. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: We got a room near the road that I thought would be noisy. The town is so small and quiet that it di...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear Mom & Son,

I remember you both and the lovely visit we had when you popped into the Office to say "Hello." Thank you for your kind words about your stay. Life has its ups & downs and we feel honored to help our guests celebrate any special occasion. Your son's birthday was a great celebration for us to share.

Best regards,
--Tracy & staff
Keizer Or
Reviewed October 26, 2013

I thought I was on the Oregon Coast not Cape Cod, what an amazing place this hide away from the World. Very Cozy, Very Clean, Spotless Interior, Great Little Kitchen, Warm Cozy Beds. I used to stay here as a child with my folks it has been a complete redo and is much more Amazing than my child dreams were. So quiet, so clean. The weather was amazing highs in the lower 60s Clear skies and cool nights in the lower 40s. The Salt Clean Crisp Air puts you in a daze sleeping at night. We would leave the windows open and it was so quiet I was scared to cough it might upset someone. The Gearhart Grocery and a quaint little pastry shop are a stones throw away. And if it could only get any better well try walking to the Beach only 250 steps {yes I counted them} and the homes all around look like something in your dreams. The owners are beyond friendly and trust me this is well worth the effort of coming here. But please don't come when I want to because I'll throw a fit if they are full.

Room Tip: The Larger rooms are a bit more but well worth the value if your going to stay more than a few night...
Boulder Creek, California
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Just returned from our 3rd annual trip to Gearhart. We just love the whole area. Such a quaint and cozy feeling staying at the cottages. We saw an article in Sunset magazine and decided to try it and we weren't disappointed at all! Coming from Calif. we take the scenic way up the coast. Brings back memories of my dad taking us trailer-camping through the same places when we were young. Gearhart Ocean Inn is the best place if your looking for quiet, cozy, close to the beach,and very respectful staff!

Bernardsville, New Jersey
Reviewed October 21, 2013

We stayed two nights at the Gearheart Ocean Inn when we were traveling around Oregon on vacation. What a lovely comfortable place! They did not miss a detail. The area is quiet, residential and only a block from the beach. There is a cute restaurant across the street, hiking paths, public golf course and tennis within walking distance. We wish we had time to stay the whole week!

Room Tip: Rooms are different sizes, ours was a little suite with a kitchen.
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed October 15, 2013

My Sister came to Oregon to visit me so we decided to go to the beach for a night. Had a hard time finding something on the beach since we waited so long to make a reservation. So, we found this little gem. We frolicked the beach all day so we didn't mind that it was not right on the ocean. The cottage was quiet, clean and just right. There was a little kitchenette so we brought our breakfast with us. The king sized bed was really comfortable and loved walking around the garden shop's grounds the next morning. I will rent this cottage again.

Room Tip: The cottage facing the garden shop's court was quiet and it was nice being able to walk around t...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Gearhart, Oregon
Reviewed October 10, 2013

My husband and I have been looking in Gearhart to purchase a home and this time we actually stayed in Gearhart at the Gearhart Ocean Inn. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The room was a bit small but for just the two of us, and our beloved dog "buddy", we made do. The room was clean and the bed was very comfortable. We missed being on the beach but since it was just one night we were happy to walk the few blocks. It is close to everything Gearhart has to offer. Just one caveat here, the Pacific Café and Bakery were both closed from September 30 until about October 15. We surely missed their delicious food and we were not aware that they would be closed. I guess they do this every year. All-in-all the inn is quiet, close to town, and clean. We would stay again but would get a larger room.

Room Tip: The King is very small so if you like to stretch out and have some room to roam choose one of the on...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gearhart
Gearhart by the Sea
#1 of 27 in Seaside
The Inn at Arch Cape
The Inn at Arch Cape
#3 of 4 in Arch Cape

Been to Gearhart Ocean Inn? Share your experiences!