“Incredible Views, Great Chowder”

Pirate's Cove Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 18 Restaurants in Garibaldi
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed September 25, 2012

We stopped here for a late lunch. The views are amazing, and the clam chowder was wonderful. I'm not sure if it's just the lunch menu, but there didn't seem to be many choices that weren't fried, so we were disappointed with our options.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

We visited Pirate's Cove on Tuesday, June 26th, 2012~ circa 6:00pm. Got seated within 10 minutes, at a filthy table, Took the waitress, Diane, awhile to bring menus & she barely wiped the table. We had to ask for water and napkins, and just cleaned it ourselves. My friend ordered a "Cadillac Margarita". The waitress looked at her like she had 2 heads, asking my friend what that was??? What's in it? She said ".... that's made with Brandy, right?" HUH???? She was very confused by the notion of a Top Shelf drink, it seemed. I ordered a Dirty Martini. We were reading the menus when she arrived with the drinks. I went to move my menu out of her way, and accidentally bumped her arm while she was putting martini on table- 90% of it spilled out. Just an accident, a mishap, stuff happens, right? No biggie. However, she decided the best course of action was to chastise me for my clumsiness, & said, "Oh well that was a great martini, shame for you- too bad you spilled your whole drink". EXCUSE ME?? She never offered to bring another....which is what she SHOULD have done.

She took our orders briskly, she was condescending and rude. We waited a long long LONG time for so-so food. I had salmon. Eh. For over $20, I expect a good piece of fish. Didn't happen. Fish was just okay- i've had better salmon in small town Pennsylvania, than at Pirate's Cove. Our waitress ignored us the rest of the time, except for the occasional dirty look cast our way. Never asking how things were, never asking do we want another drink. Finally, when we were finished, she says, "So, will we be having dessert tonight?" Ummmm, NO. We just wanted to get the heck out of the place-- and the loud kids, the screaming teenagers, the obnoxious/rude staff. Of course she brought the check immediately.

Waitress Diane should have removed the martini charge from the bill. She did not. As I am a former waitress, I just cannot bring myself not to tip. I am always a 20-25% tipper. She got between 15-18%. I doubt other customers who were treated as badly as we were, would have been as generous. In looking back, I wish I had left no tip at all. I am kicking myself now- would take a lot for me to not tip- in fact, I've never NOT tipped a server, ever in my life. But that waitress deserved NO GRATUITY.

To Diane the Waitress: accidents happen, mishaps happen. The key point here, is that you DO NOT chastise a 45-yr-old customer with your "too bad, so sad" condescending attitude, over a silly accident like a spilt drink- which, by the way, was partially your fault, anyway. What you do, is bring a fresh drink- at no additional charge. Oh.....& perhaps try smiling & paying a wee bit more attention to your customers -- instead of making them feel as if they are bothering you, while you're working. {**GASP** how dare these people bother you, while you're on-the-clock, on your employer's time!! Sheesh!! What nerve.} You are the biggest reason why I will never set foot back into the Pirate's Cove. Oh.... and wiping down the tables thoroughly after each party leaves, is also a good idea. Not that sitting on the cocktail sauce left on the seat by the customer before me bothered me much.... or the sticky mess of God-knows-what all over the table was a big deal...well, maybe the countless dirty dishes and silverware sitting on the table, AS WE WERE SEATED was a bit much. Well, that....... and the tartar sauce all over the salt and pepper shakers, was just a tad.... unappetizing/nauseating.

To the owners-- you have a real estate/dining gold mine with that spectacular view. But your hostesses..... & waitresses like Diane..... are in desperate need of crash courses in customer service, cocktail service/basic drink knowledge, basic etiquette and a remedial cleaning course on cleanliness 101. ***WIPING DOWN TABLES BETWEEN GUESTS IS IMPERATIVE!!!***

I will NOT be back. & I've told many, many, many people about my experience-- specifically, regarding the horrible waitress Diane-- and have recommended they dine elsewhere. But if you brave it, and Diane is your waitress, ask to be re-seated in another station with different server. Don't make same mistake we did- paid almost $100 to be treated terribly by a rude waitress. Better yet, just avoid this place altogether. Better restaurants in Oceanside and Rockaway.

Reviewed September 19, 2012

Well worth the price. The portions are large and the fish is fresh. This is a must eat place on the coast. And the view is perfect over the water. Come a little late and enjoy twilight. It was 50 dollars for 2 people (plus tip) but well worth it

Reviewed September 15, 2012

we've been coming here for years for our annual trip to rockaway beach. we began with a budweiser and a black butte porter to quench our thirst. at lunch we had the blackened seabass and the true cod, one from garibaldi, and one from astoria. we started with a salad and clam chowder. both were superb. the fish was delicious and melted in your mouth. the fruit garnish was tasty.

Reviewed September 14, 2012

This is the second time I have been to this restaurant in the last four months. The first time, I was impressed. This time even more so..... I chose fresh halibut fillet as my entre. They give you a choice of chowder or French Onion. I love a quality French Onion soup so I took my chances. They also offer a salad or fries. I chose Caesar salad. I feel that I got a better than average meal with flavorful and generous portions and the price was very fair. Their service was fast and efficient and wait staff is most pleasant and manages her work with ease. We had a seat by the window and watched the sport and fishing boats in the bay, on a sunny day. It's just doesn't get better than this. This restaurant is a bit north of Garibaldi and is easy on and off of Hwy. 101 with ample parking.