We've been visiting the Rockaway area for the past 55 years, it has much to offer, but the places to stay leave much to be desired. Prices go up but facilities run down. We paid less per night at a 4-star hotel in Kona (two months ago) than we were quoted for a night at the Silver Sands in Rockaway this past week, and it's not off-season in Hawaii!
We decided to shop around and discovered The Garibaldi House. I guess you could call it a B&B on steroids. It has a botique feel but the hominess of "family-run." It's quiet, clean, attractive and well-maintained. The staff is ingenuously friendly, competent and very responsive though they seem busy all the time. Even at 3 a.m. you won't find the night manager nodding off over a novel while you stand waiting. More than likely she'll be vacuuming or cleaning.
You won't need to supplement your continental breakfast. It's as good and full as any restaurant meal you'll find and not carb-loaded; there are eggs, sausage, yoghurt, fruit, etc. Clam diggers take note, you can eat as early as 5 a.m. Eat then and come back later, like a Hobbit, for second breakfast, when the frittata is ready. The lobby is like a large living room, perfect for reading or writing. There are beverages and munchies available 24 hrs.
I never thought of Garibaldi as a destination location. Except for fishing and crabbing there isn't much else going on as in Seaside or Lincoln City, but that's one of the reasons I like Garibaldi. It's unpretentious and unwilling to compete with spots like Canon Beach or Lincoln City that cater to young families, teens and Californians. We flannel-shirted natives now have an affordable and relatively luxurious place to stay on the coast. I'm a little worried that the GH will become so popular we won't be able to get a room, but that's okay. The work the owners have put into it deserve that kind of reward. I can't say enough good about Garibaldi House.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located just minutes from the Pacific Ocean--and miles and miles of magnificent coastal beaches--the Garibaldi House 50-room hotel is perfect for family vacations and weekend getaways.At the Garibaldi House, we do more than rent rooms--we want our guests to enjoy a true Oregon Coast-style hospitality experience. That means making sure you enjoy a comfortable stay with the conveniences of a modern hotel, but with the friendly atmosphere of a small bed and breakfast.And in Garibaldi, centrally located at the north end of Tillamook bay near the mouth, the air is as fresh as the ocean and forests that surround it. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Orbitz, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets and TripOnline SA so you can book your Garibaldi House Inn & Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Garibaldi House Hotel Garibaldi
- Garibaldi House Inn And Suites
- Comfort Inn Garibaldi
- Garibaldi Comfort Inn