“Best Value on the Oregon Coast”

Garibaldi House Inn & Suites
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Garibaldi
Reviewed April 20, 2012

We've been visiting the Rockaway area for the past 55 years, it has much to offer, but the places to stay leave much to be desired. Prices go up but facilities run down. We paid less per night at a 4-star hotel in Kona (two months ago) than we were quoted for a night at the Silver Sands in Rockaway this past week, and it's not off-season in Hawaii!

We decided to shop around and discovered The Garibaldi House. I guess you could call it a B&B on steroids. It has a botique feel but the hominess of "family-run." It's quiet, clean, attractive and well-maintained. The staff is ingenuously friendly, competent and very responsive though they seem busy all the time. Even at 3 a.m. you won't find the night manager nodding off over a novel while you stand waiting. More than likely she'll be vacuuming or cleaning.

You won't need to supplement your continental breakfast. It's as good and full as any restaurant meal you'll find and not carb-loaded; there are eggs, sausage, yoghurt, fruit, etc. Clam diggers take note, you can eat as early as 5 a.m. Eat then and come back later, like a Hobbit, for second breakfast, when the frittata is ready. The lobby is like a large living room, perfect for reading or writing. There are beverages and munchies available 24 hrs.

I never thought of Garibaldi as a destination location. Except for fishing and crabbing there isn't much else going on as in Seaside or Lincoln City, but that's one of the reasons I like Garibaldi. It's unpretentious and unwilling to compete with spots like Canon Beach or Lincoln City that cater to young families, teens and Californians. We flannel-shirted natives now have an affordable and relatively luxurious place to stay on the coast. I'm a little worried that the GH will become so popular we won't be able to get a room, but that's okay. The work the owners have put into it deserve that kind of reward. I can't say enough good about Garibaldi House.

Room Tip: Rooms in back, away from Hwy 101, are much quieter.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Philwaukie

Reviewed April 19, 2012

We stayed at the Garibaldi House recently and overall, we were very pleased with the experience. The lobby is beautiful and comfortable, with strong wifi signals which I unfortunately had to use to catch up on some work. There were snacks including cheese, clam chowder, animal crackers, and fresh popcorn to dull the pain! The lobby area is definitely on par with other boutique hotels.

The room was perfectly functional and we liked the sheets and bath products, but overall it didn't have the same boutique feel. A lot of the furniture (chairs, table, nightstand, appliances) looked liked it was out of a dorm room. My sense was that the owners have been slowly upgrading elements of the hotel to bring it up to boutique standards, so I wouldn't be surprised if the rooms are spruced up over time.

Finally, we felt the breakfast had been vastly overhyped. The breakfast room again looked more like dorm cafeteria than serving space in a classy hotel. The food was certainly edible, but on par with a Residence Inn and a notch below a Hampton - not a complimentary version of what you would expect at a Kimpton or a "nice" breakfast buffet (though of course better than just having a few packaged muffins available). The hotel staff had talked up the breakfast when we were booking over the phone and again at check in, so we were frankly expecting a lot more. Not a big deal, but the staff should perhaps do a better job managing expectations.

That said, we still had a very nice stay overall.

3  Thank crims0ngirl
Reviewed April 16, 2012

This hotel was so clean the staff was kind and so helpful the food was great we would stay her anytime so much better then we ever expected

Reviewed April 14, 2012

The Garibaldi house is a great hotel. The free cooked hot breakfast was phenomenal! We have never seen such a selection of foods as what was out for the breakfast, and the breakfast hours (5:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m.) allowed early and late risers to partake! Only problems - bench was broken in the sauna and two overhead lights in the pool area were malfunctioning.

2  Thank Mikpar
Reviewed April 4, 2012

Very good and hommy hotel. Friendly personal and owners. Yummy breakfast and snaks.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 4, 2012

I spent 7 days during a business trip. Very comfortable room with soft sheets and comfy bed... missed not having a feather pillow but too many good things to ding them for that :)
A nice breakfast every morning and I was greated nightly with Cheese and Crackers after training...Fridays they put out their traditional Fridays home made clam chowder...awesome! ...around the clock fresh coffee and ice water and they didn't lock up the breakfast room so I was able to grab cup of orange or apple juice anytime. A hugh storm hit causing much damage leaving me concerned about getting back up the coast; they handled my "I'm staying an extra night' to the last minute "I'm going home this morning" with no problems... no extra changes for my indecisions and was very helpful throughout my stress. a Pool was available but I enjoyed my evenings in the lobby working on a puzzel with a few of the other guests...it was so relaxing I got hooked...they have a puzzel board with side drawers to hold the pieces and an acrylic cover...my first thought was I can keep out my cats! The owner so helpful getting me the info I needed...I ordered one online before I left.
My husband and I are already planning a trip back for him to go fishing so I'm definitely going back and Garibaldi's will be where we stay no doubt. I highly recommend it!
J.A.Slyfield, Buckley WA

Room Tip: They are all great from what I could see but they do have "Water View" and they do have di...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank j_bear90
Reviewed March 29, 2012

What you will find inside is a comfortable and clean boutique hotel atmosphere with a warm easy greeting staff at a bargain price. The lobby has the character of a much larger hotel with a glass elevator that is fun to ride although we used the two stairways. There is a well designed and inviting lap pool visible from the fireplace warmed gathering area. The rooms are clean, modern and accommodating. The owner of this hotel has a passion for cooking and offers guests happy hour snacks such as a killer home made clam chowder, cheese and crackers with bowls of salt-water taffy abundant throughout the lobby. The continental breakfast that comes with the stay offers a variety that ranks above most from Belgian waffles to brown rice and green olive frittata. It’s obvious this gem is offering the comfort and style of Portland to a little known Oregon coastal town. The town still offers what made the Oregon Coast attractive to travelers, a real fishing village. Our best stay discovery in a long time!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Roy H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Garibaldi
Tolovana Inn
#1 of 8 in Rockaway Beach
Harborview Inn & RV Park
Harborview Inn & RV Park
#1 of 3 in Garibaldi

Been to Garibaldi House Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!