“DON'T STAY HERE!!!”

Econo Lodge Garibaldi
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Garibaldi
Reviewed September 24, 2011

This place has bugs crawling all over in the rooms. After complaining they refunded some of the cost, then as soon as we drove out of the parking lot, the canceled the refund. That is a pretty sorry, deceitful way to do business, and we will NEVER go back to this place(you can't call it a hotel)

2  Thank seggfej

Reviewed September 6, 2011

Look, if you're looking for a first-class (or even second class) hotel stay, why look at Econo Lodge in the first place? So one has to set their expectations a bit lower to even consider this hotel.

What it has going for it is that it is a few dollars less expensive than the ONLY challenger it has in the area, and I am deeply suspicious of the rave reviews that competitor has received. I've stayed in both, the two are very comparable in my mind, and neither could charge CLOSE to what they do were it not for the complete absence of nearby competition.

Place this or the other motel in any location - even a desirable one - with with 3 or 4 competitors and the price would (or should) drop by at least $20-$30 per night.

Our room was clean, extremely basic, and had only one significant drawback. They offered the poorest excuse for pillows it has ever been my misfortune to come upon, whether at a motel, a hotel, or even a house I was staying in. They're so pathetic one cannot be blamed for looking inside the pillowcases to see if there's actually anything in there.

Frankly, I like this place because it doesn't claim to be something it's not. There's a somewhat well-known chain found up and down this section of the Oregon coast that, with rates almost double what this one charges, at least implies it offers something more to guests, and it doesn't, save for a faux Cape-Cod exterior decor. And unlike the unrelated competitor up the road a few hundred feet, the EconoLodge does NOT promise a luxurious or pampered stay. That makes the EconoLodge more honest than the competition.

This motel is for the short stay on the road, and no one should expect a huge flat-screen TV, a sumptuous free breakfast, or 600 thread count sheets. And what can it offer that the place a few hundred feet down the road doesn't offer? Very little. That other place has a pool, but virtually ALL the front rooms face the noisy highway. At the Econo Lodge, only the two rooms on the end of the two-story structure contend with the highway noise? So the better question is what can the other offer for $20 more per night that this one can't? Other than that pool, I've seen nothing that puts one over the other.

This one is closer to the Dairy Queen, the other is closer to the tiny market (Which is still easy walking distance from the Econo Lodge).

In the end, the Econo Lodge wins out for the short stay because it's a few dollars cheaper, though an even lower price would be more appropriate for BOTH of the hotels in Garibaldi.

As noted, the only feature that is below the standard for even this level of economy are the pillows. Absolutely and utterly inexcusable, and three of them do not equal one of what they SHOULD be - at a minimum.

Room Tip: Avoid the two rooms (one on each floor) nearest the highway to avoid road noise.
Reviewed August 11, 2011

With limited choices to pick from in Garibaldi, we had to stay at this Econo Lodge. We checked in at 6:30 in the evening and found our bathroom hadn't been cleaned...used towels, washclothes, and soap in the tub. So, went to dinner and came back to a clean room...luckily. But, very basic ammenities and just felt dirty to me. Mold on the ceiling in the bathroom, toilet paper rolls don't fit in the holder on the wall, very basic breakfast choices. For the price, we will definitely find a better place to stay next time.

Room Tip: The suite would be a better option for more room for longer stays.
2  Thank jazzsherrie
Reviewed July 31, 2011

The hotel is "normal" with minimum amenities. Clean and comfortable bed. The staff was more than helpful and very friendly! They made the visit more than any other part! Manager was wonderful! Will stay there every time we visit in the future.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 1wp
Reviewed June 27, 2011

Not many options along the Oregon coast if you don't want to spend a lot of money on a room. As a platinum member in the Choice Hotels frequent stay program, I usually go a bit more upscale than Econo Lodges -- like Comfort Inns. If you're used to those mid-priced chains, you'll find this hotel to be OK, but you might miss a few more upscale touches. Like better beds, and more than a muffin and OJ/coffee for breakfast. This Econo Lodge is fine, and I don't regret staying here, but it's a good basic, clean and safe motel, and nothing more. Nearby Fisherman's Korner restaurant is a good place to have decent, local seafood at a reasonable price.

Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Dave's_reviews
Reviewed March 25, 2011

I've stayed here several times in the last 2 months and have more trips planned in the near future. What a peaceful and quiet stay. I awake to a beautiful view of the mountains. I'm impressed with the cleanliness of the rooms as I'm dubbed the "clean freak" by all my friends. The employees are friendly and helpful. It's right at the edge of town walking distance to everywhere I need to go. I'm impressed that I can call at last minute they find a way to squeeze me in. I've stayed down the street in the past at a pricey hotel and NOT had good experiences. I wish I would have found out about them years ago. I can't say enough about how pleased I am to sing their praises( literally because I'm in town to practice for the Rockaway fireman's fundraiser in July as the Cher impersonator(If I could turn back time I would have stayed here last year)...An extra special thank you to Karen :) who is a valued employee. See you next weekend!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank jabrjaw
Reviewed March 25, 2011

My friend and I had a wonderful stay. The room surprised us with a frig and microwave. The beds were very comfortable. We even had a hairdryer by the make-up sink. Everything was very clean. It was nice to be able to go downstairs and pick up hot coffee with yogurt and a muffin. We stayed during daylight savings time. How nice to have the front desk remind us about the time difference. We loved the location and staff so much that we stayed both March 11th and the 18th. We have recommended this location to family and friends and plan to visit again soon.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank 23contry
Also consider these accommodations in or near Garibaldi
Garibaldi House Inn & Suites
#1 of 8 in Rockaway Beach
Harborview Inn & RV Park
Harborview Inn & RV Park
#1 of 3 in Garibaldi

Been to Econo Lodge Garibaldi? Share your experiences!