“A very pleasant Bed & Breakfast in the middle of nowhere !”

Wilson Ranches Retreat Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 2 Fossil B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 15, 2011

We spent only one night in this great B&B, and we wish we could spend one more ! We had the Homestead room, which is very spacious. We are a family of 4, each kid had his own bed, and the room was very clean. There is a "living room" in the room itself, it's just ideal. We also had our own private bathroom, what we appreciated.

The breakfast is just GREAT ! Delicious eggs prepared in a big pan by Phil, excellent blueberry muffins prepared by Nancy, and much more ! A very pleasant moment with friendly hosts and guests.

We also had a 2 hours horseback ride, just the four of us and the guide, after breakfast. We loved it, and the kids too ! Adorable and quiet horses, perfect for first-time riders.
There is not much to do in Fossil,but there are at least 2 restaurants, the one we tried was good, though not perfect.

We definitely recommend this place. We made the reservation on the internet from Switzerland, and everything worked just perfect !

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank SwissChipmunks

Reviewed July 23, 2011

The atmosphere is nice and laid back, the property is beautiful, the bed is comfortable. The room is very clean. There are some inconveniences like having to go downstairs to use the bathroom, and the kitchen is made to be so Off Limits to guests that I was kind of afraid to even pass through it. There is plenty of coffee in the morning, breakfast is good - not gourmet, but tasty (especially the biscuits) and filling. I maintain, however, that 8:00AM is too early for breakfast during vacation. Overall I'd recommend it, especially since your options are limited in that area.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
5  Thank NICOLEandJACOB
Reviewed July 18, 2011

I took my niece to the wilson ranch to ride horses. Everyone there fulfilled her dreams, it was a week-end we will never forget. Phil, Nancy and their family made us fill all cozy and welcome. Thanks

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank paulac123_11
Reviewed June 13, 2011

Wheat fields as far as the eye can see, skies as big as the universe and a peace and quiet found few places in today's modern world all make the Wilson Ranches Bed & Breakfast a real treat. Add to this no cell phone coverage (at least with AT&T) and you have the perfect romantic getaway. Perhaps the best feature of this remarkable B&B is the people you meet there. A map of the world hangs on the wall with push pins indicating visitors' origin. For 15 years, people have been coming from all over the globe -- Australia, Russia, Argentina, China -- they have come from almost every country. Most, of course, are on their way to visit the Fossil Beds in John Day, but if you never got past the ranch, you could at least say that you had a western experience. The rooms aren't plush or luxurious. They are clean and serviceable. Shared bathrooms sometimes requires a little bit of patience. But it is all worth it. Breathe in clean, fresh, crisp air. Watch the night fill with a gazillion stars. Wake up to birds singing and cattle lowing. It doesn't get much better than this.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Candee W
Reviewed June 8, 2011

My travel companions and I elected not to stay at some lodgings in the town of Fossil. A kind local citizen happened to notice our distress and she offered her assistance. She even called the ranch for us. It is a beautiful, working cattle ranch. The rooms are small, but the furnishings are comfortable and the place was immaculate. There was good reading matter and a homey living area. It was great to wake up to the birds singing in the meadows. The Wilsons put out a great breakfast with good conversation. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank camperkat
Reviewed May 5, 2011

I'm a world traveler who has been to plenty of five-star places whose names you'd recognize. I'm my book, the Wilson place is one of the very best anywhere. True, it's not high luxury: It's a 1910 Sears catalog house, well-kept and clean as a whistle. But it's not a "boarding house," as one reviewer put it. Think of it as your very favorite relative's place out in the country. It really, really hits the spot for me.

What makes it so great? The right location, the real ranch feel, the silence the stars,
and above all the folks who run it. Been here three times now, and we'll be back again and again. The one comment about Nancy Wilson having "lied," well, all I can say is that it just can't be true. If they do this just as a business, they hide it well. The Wilsons are the sort of folks who make you smile to know 'em.

Wheeler County, Oregon's scenery is unique and fantastic. If you go there, try to book two or three nights. Better than any blood pressure pills I've ever heard of. And breakfast is great. I realize this review is so effusive that people might wonder if I've got an extra incentive of some sort, but I don't. If I didn't like it, I'd say so.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
5  Thank ITravelandEat
Reviewed February 23, 2011

We have an "empty nesters" group of 6 adults that stayed here over President's Day weekend. No one was there to greet us, we walked through the door and found notes personally addressed to each couple. My wife and I had the Homestead room all to ourselves. It had a king, a queen, a double and a foldout double. Wow! We only used the King. Monstruous fireplace with an abundance of chopped fire wood right outside the door. Phil and Nancy weren't there, but the subs did admirably with a farm style breakfast both mornings, and pleasant conversation. We made brief excursions into Fossil, but it was freezing cold, so our most popular past time was playing cards in the Homestead room beside a roaring, constantly stoked fire. They actually had satellite TV, but who wanted to break the mood? Went to sleep to the flickering firelight and the sound of owls hooting outside. Definitely worth a revisit when there is no snow. Oh, by the way, we went into town (all of 3 miles away) for dinner at RJ's and I ate a prime rib as big as my head for under $10. My wife had halibut (what? this far inland?) and said it was great.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Djaymccain

Been to Wilson Ranches Retreat Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!