“Very good sandwiches, very poor pies.”
Review of RJ's

RJ's
Ranked #1 of 6 Restaurants in Fossil
Cuisines: American
Reviewed June 19, 2014

Yesterday we visited the Painted Hills near Fossil and stopped at RJ's for lunch. Our sandwiches were outstanding, tasty and lots of it. Service was fast and friendly. However, we ordered the home baked pies that sounded so good and were very disappointed. My husband had cherry and said it was okay, not great. My peach pie was so bad, I could not eat it and asked my husband if he wanted it but he took one bite and said, "this doesn't taste right." and he could not eat it. The pies were, in our opinion, too pricey for what we got. Otherwise we would recommend eating at RJ's.

There are newer reviews for RJ's

Reviewed May 10, 2014

We stayed at the Wilson Ranch for a few days. After arrival we were looking for a restaurant in the vicinity and the village of Fossil had little choice. However, when we entered RJ´s, we immediately felt comfortable. The restaurant´s atmosphere is as friendly as the service we received.
The typical burger, sandwich, pizza menu, but what do you expect in such a remote area? All items we ordered, were perfectly cooked and served. On the second day we came just for dessert to complete our one-day round trip and it was so yummy! Even if you plan only to drive through Fossil, its worth a stop there to drop in at RJ´s!
You may think, you are in the middle of nowhere and you might be right, but RJ´s offers free Wi-Fi in good quality, another plus for exemplary customer service.

Reviewed April 29, 2014

This is the only recommended eatery in Fossil. The staff is friendly and efficient. The food is moderately good, lots of beef choices. It's small and the environment homey and pleasant. Lots of locals eating there, so there's that. The one-size-fits all pizzas are terrific.

Reviewed March 12, 2014

I've know the owner's of R.J. Rich and Jana for years. When they took over the old city building and began a remodel my thoughts were "how can anyone build a quality restaurant in a town of 420 and survive". Jana is perhaps the hardest working person I've ever known. Yet, she provides service in a service industry that rivals the finest restaurants in Portland. Granted, there have been times, especially special events in the area, where she is overwhelmed. (Tough Mudders 2013) when 9000 people come to town, but considering I believe she does extremely well. How does she do this? She has a limited menu but everything on the menu is prepared very well. When she does specials they are often things not on the menu and are not the leftovers at the end of the month but special treats of the day. She installed a grill and does steaks, and prime rib to perfection. I would be remiss if I didn't mention her valentine's day special. Cold water lobster tail and T-bone steak. Tender, delicious, cooked to perfection. great waitress (Lisa). Jana (owner) present and checking with customers to make sure they got great food and great service. Made the bar "romantic" for my wife and I and friends.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

We had a family dinner in the twon where my Dad was born. RJ's is a new place since the last time we were in Fossil. The food was excellent and we all had different entrees, plus our salads were fresh. Our window seats provided a nice view of the streetlife of a small town, and the dog of one of the patrons stayed patiently outside, waiting for his steakbone.

We appreciated the Wi-Fi too, since my AT&T cell phone won't work in Fossil (it's a Verizon town), but I was able to make Skype call on my iPhone with Wi-Fi.