“Amazing tastes and smells”
Review of SakeOne

More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Nestled in the beautiful outskirts of Portland, Oregon, SakéOne is a rare entertaining experience that brings you only the best premium saké from Oregon, in our brewery, and select Japanese imports. Our sakés range from classics, to bolder more contemporary profiles, and even fruit infused. Ready to taste? Our tasting room is open seven days a week and offers three different flight options and a tasting tray for additional purchase.
Reviewed February 17, 2012

Having never been to a Sake brewery, Sake One was a place I really wanted to visit during our trip to Portland. It was well worth the drive.

We came during the Valentine's Day weekend celebration, which turned out to be pretty nice. They had paired up with a local chef to prepare some delicious food to go along with their amazing sakes. The gentleman that was pouring the sake was very friendly and knowledgeable about all the sakes.

What I enjoyed almost as much as the tasting, was the tour. A couple times a day they provide a guided 10-15 minute tour through the process of making sake. It was really interesting and the best part was how great it smelled all the way through.

If you're anywhere near the Willamette Valley, it's definitely worth driving over to Sake One for a tour and tasting.

1  Thank Mark H
"tasting room"
"wine tour"
in 8 reviews

Reviewed December 1, 2011

Loved this place! Very interesting tour, great tasting (We got the one with the food pairings, I recommend this) and good fun. Nice place.

Reviewed September 25, 2010

What a nice break from wine tasting! Tony and the staff made this stop both fun and educational. Delicious sake! Excellent free tour!

Reviewed April 5, 2010

Oregon was a bit of a disappointment in general. They had $15 tasting fees and over priced wine. After spending an unreasonable amount on the tasting, we were put off buying anything. The wine was good, but not that good. In contrast Sonoma, CA had excellent wine at a semi-reasonable price and almost never a tasting fee.... BUT... Sake One was a hidden gem in this area. This was some of the best Sake we've tried and our host knew everything about the history, process and nuances of the world of Sake. We enjoyed our food/wine paring (Sake Shock - we highly recommend), our tour of the facility (our favourite part was the cedar room)... but what we enjoyed most was that this place was about the Sake and the experience - not about the profits. If it weren't for Sake One, We'd probably just enjoy BC and WA wines instead, but we really want to go back.

See more reviews
Reviewed October 18, 2009

We had a group of 13 friends doing a limo tour of wineries in the Forest Grove area. I had seen the signs for Sake One and checked out their website. While planning the trip I was kind of hesitant throwing this in as a stop for our wine tour, since it is not a typical winery. I wasn't sure what the others would think. Sake One was our first stop of our four visits, and our favorite. Along the trip I heard several of our friends comment about just heading back to Sake One, especially after a rude greeting we got at the Montinore Winery. I think it was the favorite stop of the trip, it was definitely mine.

We arrived at Sake One around noon. The staff was wonderful; they greeted us, gave us a little talk about Sake One and explained the tasting options. It was Saketini Saturday so they also had a tasting of three different Saketinis. We each chose our tasting packages and began the tasting. The Sake was very different from anything I had experienced at Japanese restaurants. All the Sake's were served cold. One of my favorites was the "Momokawa Silver," it was a dry Sake and the taste evaporated almost immediately, not leaving any strong alcohol taste in your mouth. Many of our group liked the "Silver." The last Sake I had was the plum Sake, it was a fruity plum flavor and reminded me of a sweet dessert wine. We bought a bottle of the plum. They also had a carbonated plum Sake they were serving only on tap. They let everyone try a taste for free. Apparently it is something they are experimenting with. It was great! The Sakitinis were awesome! One was a mango flavor, one an apple cider flavor, and the other was an ice tea flavor.

I will definitely be back.

2  Thank gb2000