“Unique Restaraunt”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
“Unique Restaraunt”
Reviewed July 4, 2014 via mobile

We stopped by for a late lunch during the work week. Unlike other reviews, our service was attentive and good. The menu had typical bar food items with some specials. Some in our group had sandwiches. The sandwiches were good but was surrounded with a lot of bun.

One of the main attractions is the atmosphere of the establishment. It's surrounded by unique art, stained glass and tile work. Stroll though the basement, hotel and grounds for a unique experience.

1 Thank Bbd1228

Reno, Nevada
“Need to do better”
Reviewed July 1, 2014

The Grand Lodge is a beautiful historical building, with perfectly manicured gardens, all in a gorgeous Forest Grove Oregon setting. Given that, it amazes me how management can allow such crappy food service in such a facility. I have returned here a couple of times thinking maybe I just hit some bad nights. No such luck.
Service has always been horribly slow, even when the restaurant wasn't crowded.
Menu is very limited and quite unimaginative.
Food quality is marginal and quite bland to say the least.

Food service in the bar appeared to be even worse. I could hear multiple people complain about orders being messed up. I could even hear the bartenders swearing at the kitchen staff for being "a bunch of morons".

My recommendation would be to stop at Grand Lodge, take in the beautiful facility, have a couple of cold beers (their craft beers are great) and then go eat someplace else.

• Visited June 2014
Vancouver, Washington
“McMenamins reserved”
Reviewed June 9, 2014

I love these restaurants and the food but the service is always lacking. I met a friend in the parking lot to go biking to Hagg Lake and back. We got back hungry and thirsty at 11:45 AM. We wanted lunch. Lunch menu begins at noon. Okay we will be happy to sit outside on the porch until noon to order our burgers. Service is always slow. But we were happy to relax in the sun. McMenamins staff was slow to every table outside on getting their food. I do not know what the problem is. The quality of the food is good. But the fresh cut fried are always soggy and greasy. I am going to stick to the salad. I like McMenamins and I will be back but you could improve the prompt service for all 4 tables outside.

• Visited June 2014
Vancouver, Washington
“This McMenamins food service needs work”
Reviewed May 1, 2014

There are over 90 McMenamins in Oregon and Washington, all servicing the same choices of food for the most part since most are just local pubs. So expect bar type food at most of them.

The few that are also hotels normally have several small pubs on site along with their main restaurant, like this one. However, all of their on site pubs' food comes from the one main kitchen on site. And it appears that if you order food in one of the pubs, it takes a lot longer to get your meal than if you just go to the main restaurant to eat. It is in these main restaurants that you will find a much expended menu too. It's mostly sandwiches and burgers in the pubs, but full entered meals are only found in the hotel's main restaurant which normally a lot pricer then in the pubs.

This hotel and restaurant is just that. Good bar food in the pubs at reasonable prices, with fair to good food at much higher prices in the main restaurant. So I recommend that you stay in one of its small on-site pubs and just order a burger or small pizza with your beer.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank 6595STG
Spokane, Washington
“As always, met expectations”
Reviewed March 20, 2014

My family and I recently ate at McMenamins in Forest Grove for the first time. We had eaten at McMenamins in Portland and in Lincoln City, and as usual we were pleased with what we got. It is wonderful to have a restaurant that provides both good food and gluten-free options. Loved it!

Visited March 2014