“Pretty setting for crappy service...”

McMenamins Grand Lodge
Ranked #10 of 64 Restaurants in Forest Grove
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 10, 2013

This place is entirely overrated. If you like (or love) waiting for hours for your food, having ridiculously slow servers and catching attitude from the bartenders, this is your place. I can’t entirely blame the servers, as every time I’m there, they seem to never have enough servers. I almost feel sorry for these people, but they still work there. I’ve always had slow service. Every single time. The food is good (when you get it) except for them changing the hummus plate to pickled carrots from fresh carrots which I personally thought was lame, everything is pretty good. It comes with a hefty price tag. The beer is good but pricey. Overall this whole place is mediocre with a premium price tag. I actually try to avoid it. BUT BUT BUT, they do always have great buildings and décor. It’s a truly beautiful place. Is that worth the price? You choose.

Reviewed October 26, 2013

I love sitting outside on beautiful days and enjoying the greenery and the company I'm with, but Mcmenamins just can't get the food right. There is usually something wrong at every visit. It's really disappointing because the atmosphere is so great. I really wish Forest Grove had another outdoor restaurant with good food. As we were about to leave the yard house, and I was so disappointed with my dinner, I realized all those empty tables were saying something..... people go other places because of the poor food and inconsistency Mcmenamins offers.

1  Thank elle_oregon
Reviewed September 5, 2013

and still not have the food ready when you return an hour later! We rode our bikes from Hillsboro (5-10 miles) through the back roads and arrived hoping to eat a quick something before it got dark. Contrary to other places, our waitress was quite personable and at least checked on us from time to time. We still waited about 45 minutes for a turkey wrap and a cheeseburger. I don't see this as the fault of the waitress so much because she took our order in a timely fashion. I'm thinking cooking backup, with having too little cooks or not enough grills, or both. When it started to sprinkle, we got our food to go (which they just happened to have handy). Maybe that's what everyone should do, is order their food to go. I'm done. There are plenty of other great breweries around where customer service isn't an inconvenience. I'm going there. This is short because I spent all my energy reviewing the Gearhart Hotel and the lack of service there. Don't settle for poor service..Go somewhere else.

1  Thank Lawrence O
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Good food inside hotel and outside the grounds. Beautiful green lawns, flowers were all in bloom nice walk around the grounds.

Reviewed July 3, 2013

as always the larger mcmenamin properties are well landscaped , uniquely decorated, and relaxing to take friends.

I marked this a only very good , because the service is friendly but slow.Yes they were full and we had 15 or more people, but I think they get held up by kitchen. Also a guten free pizza was ordered, waited for, then regular pizza delivered to table. just before that first bite , they did catch error in time to avoid belly ache.

Also the rooms a bit high for not having a bathroom in your room and not air conditioned. Which mattered this last weeken with the 95 degree weather. But they are decorated beautifully and are unique in their own way.

Ruby Spa needs more help. On weekends and knowing they are a wedding venue, they need more than one hairsylist to do hair of a wedding party. Their shortage did make our scheduling tight with pics and ceremony.