“Boo McMenamins! Booooooo!”

McMenamins Grand Lodge
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Forest Grove
Reviewed November 14, 2012

I have visited many Mcmenamins and always have bad sevice and food. I am not wasting my time or money here anymore. Breakfast with Santa...total flop. Cold food that ran out within the first 20 minutes. No coffee until close to 45 minutes to an hour later. It's coffee people. Bad Santa and no interaction with kids. Eggs from mix...french toast sticks from frozen. How hard is a breakfast buffet. And total amateur service. You act clueless and yet have been in business for how long? Then to top it all off to have rude and uninterested staff is beyond me! Do not waste your money here.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed November 7, 2012

I stayed in the Grand Lodge with my friend in late September. We were able to do some local wine tasting, met some new friends in the soaking pool who were there for a wedding, played some pool and had some tasty food in the hotel bar, and watch some ultimate frisbee on the lawn. It felt like staying in another time.

Room Tip: We chose the double bunk bed room, which saved us $. It had a great view of the lawn in the front.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 29, 2012

I went with two friends to hear the music a couple of weeks ago. The setting was fantastic and Mosley Wotta was incredible. We had dinner while enjoying the concert. My salad with salmon was delicious, my friends enjoyed burgers with sweet potato fries (Yummy!!) They had a gluten-free menu which was perfect since two of us are GF. The drinks were interesting and I heard from one friend that the beer was exceptional. We had some of the best prepared Spanish coffee that I've ever had. The rooms were above average. They have a wonderful lap pool, too!

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the bathrooms!!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 25, 2012

We love all of the Mcmenamins , but the grand lodge is very special !! It was the retirement home for the Masons in this area and so is very lovley in design and the outdoor area is excellent !!!!
Have a beer , relax by the fire have a soak in the hot pool !!
Disk golf for everyone !!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 14, 2012

We recently stayed two nights at McMenamins Grand Lodge for a wedding that was held on the property. Not being from Oregon, we didn't know the first thing about McMenamins and their various properties. The building, though a bit of a trek from Portland, was beautiful, both inside and out, with colorful and bountiful landscaping and murals and portraits covering almost every inch of available space on the walls. The place is full of character and history, with each room being named after either an important person in the history of Oregon or the building (or just to the country itself) and the interior of that room telling the story of that person via a story painted on the walls. We could easily have spent a day just wandering the building and learning all about the history of the place and the state.

Our room was small, but well appointed-loads of towels in the well-sized closet as well as complimentary robes. As other reviewers have noted, both rooms share a communal bathroom which is where the robes comes in handy. Personally, I found the communal bathroom to be no big deal. Each floor has a few "public" ones that contain just toilets and then a few "womens private" and "mens private" which are only accessible through your hotel room key and have showers. A bathroom was only a short walk from our room in either direction and I never had a problem waiting for the use of a shower or toilet. Also, there was a sink in our room, which meant we didn't need to run to the bathroom to brush our teeth or attend to other small things.

The staff was friendly and we never tried the bar or restaurants on site, but it was nice to know they were there. Bands played both nights and there was a lot of outdoor recreation going on throughout the day, with people playing disc golf or walking or, on the day of the wedding, partying to the "Oktoberfest" event the lodge put on. From what I could tell, that went on most of the day, with various bands and food and beer, of course. Never a out-of-hand drunken bash, though, and since the wedding was on the other side of the building, we never heard or saw any thing after about 4 pm.

If this review were based solely on decor, character and charm, I would give the Grand Lodge 5 stars. However, I enjoy sleeping at the end of a long day and this is where the Grand Lodge failed miserably. We were sharing a room with another couple and we knew going into it that we would be a) sleeping on a rollaway bed and b) living in a cramped space for 2 days. That was fine. What we didn't know is that a) the hotel doesn't have AC. Didn't seem like a big problem given Oregon temps in late September but b) the room had 0 air circulation unless you opened the enormous window which c) had no screen. And, if you were lucky enough to have a room on the side of the hotel that featured the court yard, you could hear people enjoying their night, the band playing, smokers going out for a midnight smoke, that couple from down the hall who decided to take a bottle of wine out to the patio at 2am, cars driving by on their way to the parking lot...every little thing, all night and all early morning long. It boiled down to 2 choices: 1. Sleep with the window closed and risk death by heat stroke or 2. Sleep in relative comfort while listening to a chorus of night time partying and meeting some interesting little bugs in your suitcase in the morning. Not wanting to sleep in our own sweat we chose option 2. I'm guessing I got about 3 hours of sleep the first night and maybe 4 the nest night because I was just so tired my ears managed to block out the noise for an extra hour. And I had ear plugs, btw.

I'm not someone who enjoys predictable Motel 6-type places. I love character and history, I like a place that plays up unique angles. But the point of any place that essentially sells a bed for the night-be it a corporate chain, a small B&B or a great local legend-is that people want to sleep there. I can see where the Grand Lodge might be a great event venue, a good place to catch a bite to eat and good conversation on a lovely patio. But maybe they should call it quits when it comes to allowing people some sleep-almost every guest at the wedding that stayed at the lodge had the exact same complaints that we had and we all agreed that, while the place was lovely, it was a horrible place to catch a restful night of sleep.

Room Tip: Ask what your room faces! Any of the rooms that face the front of the property will also face the co...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We headed to the Grand Lodge after spending a night at the McMenamins Edgefield in Troutdale. I was first underwhelmed because I was comparing it to the huge open property at Edgefield. But upon our arrival the gentleman that checked us was funny and efficient. We got the last room available so it wasn't the best. It was a single queen with the bathroom down the hall. There was one bathroom for women whereas there were about 5-6 on our floor at Edgefield. The room was one tight fit for two people but we only slept in there so it was ok. We had dinner in the basement bar while some excellent music was being performed. We met so many nice people and had a great time! The wine is a bit week but you can't find better beer! Their saltwater soaking pool was not nearly as nice as Edgefield's but we had a good time in it and all the people were so much fun! The next day we got a massage in the spa. The Ruby Spa was also nicer at Edgefield but the massages were EXCELLENT! One of the best I've had. I would highly recommend the Grand Lodge and am looking forward to going to all the McMenamins properties.

Room Tip: Call ahead to get a room with a bathroom.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I stayed on a Tuesday in September..it was 75 degrees hot,Nice day but our room was hot! No AC and no screen on window to leave open at night. We killed a couples spiders when we were in room. They did have a floor fan thank God! Overall the room was very cute and the decore felt cozy.

We played Frisbee golf out front during the day(free with your stay) that was fun and beautiful front yard!

during the afternoon we had appitizers out back. The food is average but ots,the atmosphere that makes it nice.

During the evening we took a swim in the outdoor pool and that Nice about 80 degrees hot water. Since we were staying on a Tuesday we had the place to our selfs.

The spa has very Nice skin care called eminance. I was stoked on a retro swim wear that I purchased in the spa , made in Portland!!!

For dinner we watched a movie in the theatre..free also with your stay! You can order food,beer,dessert..

so there is a lot to do! I would like to try out the other locations : )

• Stayed: September 2012
The Orenco
The Orenco
#3 of 19 in Hillsboro
Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland Hillsboro, Oregon

Been to McMenamins Grand Lodge? Share your experiences!