“Lots of fun at Grand Lodge!”

McMenamins Grand Lodge
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Forest Grove
Oregon
“Lots of fun at Grand Lodge!”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We headed to the Grand Lodge after spending a night at the McMenamins Edgefield in Troutdale. I was first underwhelmed because I was comparing it to the huge open property at Edgefield. But upon our arrival the gentleman that checked us was funny and efficient. We got the last room available so it wasn't the best. It was a single queen with the bathroom down the hall. There was one bathroom for women whereas there were about 5-6 on our floor at Edgefield. The room was one tight fit for two people but we only slept in there so it was ok. We had dinner in the basement bar while some excellent music was being performed. We met so many nice people and had a great time! The wine is a bit week but you can't find better beer! Their saltwater soaking pool was not nearly as nice as Edgefield's but we had a good time in it and all the people were so much fun! The next day we got a massage in the spa. The Ruby Spa was also nicer at Edgefield but the massages were EXCELLENT! One of the best I've had. I would highly recommend the Grand Lodge and am looking forward to going to all the McMenamins properties.

Room Tip: Call ahead to get a room with a bathroom.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Salem, Oregon, United States
Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I stayed on a Tuesday in September..it was 75 degrees hot,Nice day but our room was hot! No AC and no screen on window to leave open at night. We killed a couples spiders when we were in room. They did have a floor fan thank God! Overall the room was very cute and the decore felt cozy.

We played Frisbee golf out front during the day(free with your stay) that was fun and beautiful front yard!

during the afternoon we had appitizers out back. The food is average but ots,the atmosphere that makes it nice.

During the evening we took a swim in the outdoor pool and that Nice about 80 degrees hot water. Since we were staying on a Tuesday we had the place to our selfs.

The spa has very Nice skin care called eminance. I was stoked on a retro swim wear that I purchased in the spa , made in Portland!!!

For dinner we watched a movie in the theatre..free also with your stay! You can order food,beer,dessert..

so there is a lot to do! I would like to try out the other locations : )

• Stayed September 2012
Otter Rock
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Being a long time habitue of McMenamin's I was surprised to see the negative reviews on tripadvisor. It is clear that this very successful formula is not for everyone. Yes there are places where you can get better and more rapidly delivered beer and food and a bathroom in your room. The point here is the total package and the uniquely Oregon environment.

Our recent stay at the Grand Lodge is a good example of what to expect. We came in early and Myron at the front desk took our luggage up to our room for us while we went outside for an appetizer, drinks and a round of Frisbee golf. Yes service was slow at the outside restaurant and they looked understaffed so I warmed up on the Frisbee golf course while my wife people watched and enjoyed the beautiful landscaping. The humus was good and different and the raspberry beer "Ruby" perfect for a hot afternoon. That evening at the early movie they were having trouble with the projection. They refunded the price for those who had paid (the movies are free for those staying on premises). Instead of complaining we went out to play a round of Frisbee golf and by the time we got back a local bluegrass band "The Columbians" was playing downstairs. No cover of course. We ordered pizza and listened to the music through the first set. Then it was off to the soaking tub located right outside our window. Afterwards my wife read and I watched the late movie on a comfortable couch with a beer by my side. The next morning we grabbed coffee in the lobby and read the complimentary newspaper. Then it was off to breakfast.The service was a little slow but I was catching up on the news still so I can't say that I noticed. Our waiter, Odie was late with our orange juice so he didn't charge us. Yes this is pub food but my jam was excellent, the ketchup local and organic, the sausage very good, my wild mushroom and feta omelet tasty and the portions enough to last us well past lunch.

Sooo if you are looking for a place that is quintessentially Oregon where there is beautiful landscaping, whimsical interesting artwork, lots to see and do including soaking tubs, music, movies, Frisbee golf, and a variety of bars and restaurants on uniquely restored historical premises this is for you. In short a place that has soul. Unfortunately this formula doesn't fit very well into the tripadvisor ratings. I take exception to those who say the price is high. We got the hammerhead package which included dinner and breakfast and paid less than we have for many hotels that offer only a room. They have a two long happy hours for those who want to sample the many options. Yes things can get noisy at night. There is a lot going on here. Our room was over the soaking tub and my wife is an early sleeper so I was a little concerned but they closed it at 11:00 sharp as promised and she had no trouble sleeping.

So don't stay here if you are in a hurry, have a singular agenda, don't want a unique environment, don't like locally sourced pub food and music. I hear there are lots of Motel 6s and that other Mc out there.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington
Reviewed August 27, 2012

My husband loved this place, I had mixed feelings. The front desk staff was very nice and allowed us to check-in about 90 minutes early, which we really appreciated as we had been up early traveling all day and needed a rest before a meeting in the afternoon.

Our room was on the first floor and it was decent. We had a king room with a bathroom. The shower had good pressure and was very clean. The sink was in a cramped spot between shower and toilet and lighting poor. At least toilet was in it's own room with a door. The king bed was fairly comfortable but the sheets so cheap they felt crunchy.

We had a big window which was necessary to keep open because it was hot and there was no AC. However, there was no screen and upon wandering around the property we didn't see screens on windows except for just a few rooms. We thought that odd. Thankfully there is not a big mosquito problem but the flies were kind of annoying. When packing up to go we always check under the bed to see if something fell or slid under, and we found the screen. Weird place for a screen.

They had a band until 9 ish on the lawn and a movie that followed until a bit after 11 pm. Both very loud. We had a hard time falling asleep to the loud noise. But we read reviews and knew that going in. I think if we were the partying type it would be ok or tolerable. But one night was about all I think I could handle.

We did enjoy the soaking pool. That was the highlight and I would recommend it. You are able to use the soaking pool for a fee even if you aren't a hotel guest.

We had a beer (very average beers) at the outside bar while listening to the band around 8 pm. Service very slow but the atmosphere nice.

The grounds are pretty and lots of people out enjoying it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 2nd floor and on the back side to minimize the noise.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Creswell, Oregon
Reviewed August 17, 2012

My husband just LOVES the McMenamin's experience and would give all of their properties 5 stars. I, on the other hand, am not so pleased.

Like all of their hotels, the room at Grand Lodge is moderately comfortable, with a sink in the room and the bathrooms nearby. Bring your own reading light. You don't go to McMenamin's for the quality of sleep so much as for the all around experience. We very much enjoyed having beers on the lawn and watching the lawn frisbee. The live music was quite good and not overpoweringly loud. The grounds were lovely - kudos to the gardeners. The first run movies (with popcorn) were free and the soaking pool was great fun.

Food and service were a serious weakness. The dinner we had was overpriced and disappointing, and we went away hungry after waiting most of the evening to get it. Breakfast was very little better, but at least we could amuse ourselves by sipping tepid coffee...when the wait staff remembered us.

McMenamin's take note: you could do SO much better with very little effort.

Room Tip: Watch out for rooms near the movie theater.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
Reviewed August 9, 2012

another great McMenamins venue. rooms are small, comfortable and quiet. shared bath was clean. salt water pool was excellent after a few rounds of disc golf. a disc and a 22oz beer upon check-in is awesome.
very nice outdoor bar / grill; the doctors office bar in the basement; good restaurant; movie theater.

Room Tip: 226(?) - it's basically the tenth tee, which no one uses, it'll be your own private balcony.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Bill_92109
Orange County, CA
Reviewed July 27, 2012

We have stayed here frequently over the years because it's close to a business we represent.
If you are familiar with McMenamins properties this one fits right in. Staff and service are indifferent, this seems like something they could change easily! Food is sometimes good and sometimes not so good. The bars seem to be their primary focus. The rooms are European style with shared bathrooms down the hall. At one time the room prices were a good value considering the lack of ammenities but have crept up to a price-point that is now borderline! The wi-fi barely works and doesn't allow uploading so maintaining a website while on the road is impossible here.
McMenamins need to step up a little!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Residence Inn Portland Hillsboro/Brookwood
Larkspur Landing Hillsboro
Larkspur Landing Hillsboro
#6 of 19 in Hillsboro

Been to McMenamins Grand Lodge? Share your experiences!