“A fabuolus birthday stay” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Driftwood Shores Resort & Conference Center

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Driftwood Shores Resort & Conference Center
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Florence
northern ca
“A fabuolus birthday stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2007

We left Our home 110 miles east of Redding on July 11th to get my wifes chemo in Redding. We left redding that afternoon to go North, where we saw Pirates of the Carreabean in Roseburg Oregon. The next morning, we crossed our fingers and hoped to find a room at driftwood shores on my birthday (We spent part of our honey moon there 23 years earlier). We not only got a great deal on a great room on the ground floor with a full kitchen and a patio on the beach, we were treated very well. That morning we decided to treat ourselves to a nice breakfast/brunch in their resturant, where we were seated at a table in the corner on the beach. We had solid glass on both sides of us in the corner , giving all three of us (my son included) a perfect , beautiful view. Not only that, but the food and service were great too.

To top everything else off, as early as we arrived, there was no problem with a very early checkin which was like getting an extra free day at the beach. The next day my son and I were able to go off in the morning and rent dune buggies for the morning while my wife was able to catch up on some much needed rest.

Thank you driftwood shores for another terrific stay. (IAlthough you will never be able to top my first one there 23 years before in a three bedroom suite).

• Liked — Being right on the beach and ocean
  • Disliked — There was nothing that did not work out well this stay, other than my wifes poor health
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
1 Thank zenma

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Oregon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2006

I Live in Oregon about an hour away from Florence and Driftwood shores. I was very disapointed in our stay. Let me start by saying I agree with other reviews - that to call this MOTEL a resort is quite a stretch of the owners imagination. This motel is very out dated, run down and lacking in all areas. I found the bed to be very uncomfortable, my back hurt for 2 days after our stay. The kitchen was nice to have, and the tv was ok - would have been nice to have a dvd player or at least a vcr. The food at the restaurant was low quality and cold when served. Like someone was opening boxes and cans - and re-warming things - not really cooking. The pool and whirlpool were very old and outdated and need of repair - broken tiles in this 3 person hot -tub - not really worth advertising as a draw. This is such a sad waste of the great beach location. I had the feeling someone just was not putting any money back into this old run-down motel to make it what it could be - a great Hotel. Very overpriced - and Not worth the money for the view, that was all FOG for our 2 night stay.

• Liked — It is Close to nice shops & great Food @ Bay Front Grill
  • Disliked — The Room, bed, the run-down pool and hot tub.
  • Tips/Secrets — Make Sure if your in Florence to Have dinner at Bay Front & Grill in Old Town - 5 Stars!!!
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank jennybenny35

Travelers are raving about these Florence hotels

Eugene, OR
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2006

The only nice thing about his property is that it is right on a really nice beach. The restaurant is like snack bar with tables. The housekeeping staff are a bunch of local -- who constantly smoke cigarettes and complain about their jobs. The rooms are dumpy! The beds and linens are terrible, and nothing is very clean, including the tiny indoor pool. It is completely overpriced.

There are much better places to stay, we gave this place 3 tries, and it got progressively worse each visit! Avoid it.

• Stayed July 2006
4 Thank abracco
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2005

Staying at Driftwood Shores has become part of a dream vacation for my husband and me. We just finished our forth visit, and look forward to our next stay. The staff has been friendly and helpful. While the rooms are plain and the bed a bit too soft for our tastes, they are clean and these complaints are small prices to pay for a walk-out balcony that views the ocean and for sleeping at night to its roar. The long beach is perfect for contemplative walks, and jogging on it is terrific.

Stayed September 2005
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2005

We checked out of this hotel after our first night and moved to the Best Western by the bridge. First off, let me state that the title of my post isn't fair; we did encounter one fabulous desk clerk (April) that tried to accomodate us. We checked in early (we understood we were too early...not a problem) and were told the room would be ready between 4:00 and 4:30; we were given a number to call to check on the status later in the day. When we called later (4:15) we were told another 30 to 45 minutes. When we went at 5:00, we were told they hadn't even started to clean our room and could be another hour. Now...I understand that their "guaranteed check-in" is at 6:00...and even understand that they had been full the night before. However, I have worked the front desk of a few hotels and managed the desk of 2....I know how this should have been handled. The first thing that should have happened after our arrival was to place a rush on the room. When the first delay occurred, we should have been offered a coupon for a drink at the bar (we don't drink, but the gesture of compensation would have been good...). The third delay was inexcusable. Coupled with the extremely rude attitude of our desk clerk, I was getting irritated. We were placed into a room (after some juggling by the very helpful April) that was clean and ready to go, some 3 plus hours after our check in.

The room was dingy and, like a previous poster stated, just seemed cheap. This is a run down facility...definitely well worn. Nothing spectacular about it besides the view. Dated fixtures, toilet that ran all night, etc. The queen sized bed was really a double and horribly uncomfortable. It was depressing. We were lucky enough to call another hotel and get a room for the second night of our stay; they'd had a last minute cancellation.

The next morning I checked us out, and the front desk manager was working. She noted that I was leaving a day early. I commented that indeed I was and had found a room down the street. She didn't say a thing. Didn't ask how my stay was or inquire in any way about our move. Very poor customer service. As I departed I handed her my completed comment card and indicated that if she were to grow curious as to why we were taking our business elsewhere, she could read the card.

This was RUDE service for a dingy place. Would not stay there again if free.

• Stayed August 2005
21 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Cornelius, Oregon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2005

When one hears or reads the word "resort" it conjures up certain images and thoughts. To advertise oneself as a resort when you are just a big, expensive motel is not quite forthright in my opinion.

The check in time is 4-6 pm. Pay attention to this because it WILL be 6pm. We paid $290 a night for a 3 bedroom "suite". The same $$$ will buy you so much more in Hawaii, Vegas, or SoCal. The suite smelled terribly of Lysol or some other cleaning agent. The carpet was industrial short loop with huge stains in the hallway.

The kitchen was adequate, but the cheapest of utensils and dishes were supplied. At this price, I would expect a in room jacuzzi and a king size bed. No go. The suite we were in had a nice fireplace and even came stocked with wood. Nice touch with the wood.

There is an indoor pool, which makes sense because no matter what, this IS Oregon and it rains more here than anywhere short of the Amazon. The pool is ok, the jacuzzi is attached to the pool and quite small. Maybe 3 people can soak at the same time.

All of the rooms have a fantastic view of the beach. You certainly cannot ask for any better than what is offered in this regard. The beach is not world class, but nice. The water is cold. Bring a shorty wet suit.

Florence itstelf is a nice town. Just the right size to be able to purchase needed items and not get ripped a new one.; there are major chain stores within reasonable distance. But at the same time there are plenty of quaint tourist traps everywhere you look.

The staff are ok. They know they have you by the short hairs and there is not much you can do about it.

The place would be reasonable at $150 a night, but would STILL feel cheap and kinda run down.

But that beach view is worth a lot of $$$ to some people.

• Stayed July 2005
14 Thank CustomBikeMike
Also consider these accommodations in or near Florence
Old Town Inn
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#9 of 12 in Florence
Three Rivers Casino Resort

Been to Driftwood Shores Resort & Conference Center? Share your experiences!