“Misinformed.”

Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Florence
Bangkok
“Misinformed.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

I had a flat tire and called to let the hotel know I was going to be late checking in. I asked what time the restaurant closed and was told it closes at 9:00 so if I was going to be later, I would want to stop on the way. After having the tire changed, I rushed to get there so I could have a nice meal after the day's events and not have to drive anymore. I arrived at 8:00. After I was welcomed warmly by the gentleman I spoke with on the phone I asked if I had time to check out my room before having dinner. That was when I was told dinner might be a problem as the restaurant would most likely be full. I asked if I could then eat in the lounge/bar. He called over to the restaurant and was told that area too was full, even though there was a full hour before the restaurant officially closed and it was a weeknight.
I had a hard time with the fact that I clearly said I wanted to eat on the phone when I first called and was not informed that there might be an issue getting a single diner, who is a hotel guest, in to have a meal after a long day. When I expressed this irritation, I was met with a blank stare and handed a take out menu by the other staffer behind the counter. Seeing as there are no other places to eat within walking distance, I was stuck eating take out without even a glass of wine to accompany it.
Once I got up to my room I was greeted with a beautiful view and a nice spacious room, that managed to get the poor taste out of my mouth about my exchange with the front desk.
If you are looking for somewhere to stay that is right on the beach, this is beautiful. Just get a room with a kitchen and cook for yourself since you probably won't be able to eat when you arrive.

Room Tip: If you plan to eat, make reservations when you book your room.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank travelalllover71

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

It's an unusual place but we we're looking for a clean and comfortable place and that's what it was. The weather was foggy and the wind was cold but we still had fun. The bed was very comfortable and we slept really well.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Bmilln
hendersonville, NC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

It's true that the hotel is right on the ocean. The beach is right outside the sliding glass doors. The room was clean and well stocked. The walls are thin and we could hear people above us and beside us. Had breakfast in the restaurant and service was very slow.

Stayed August 2013
oregon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

We're here on business. No, they will not be getting a recommendation for a repeat.

We're in a standard room on the bottom floor. Right now, we need to get rest so we can get up very early and find somewhere to eat before our 7:30 meeting. No, not at the restaurant here, that was a debacle, and I've written a review.

Anyway, for a 12x12 room, sure, they have crammed a lot.. table, micro, friendge, queen bed, flat screen TV and a fab ocean view. HOWEVER.. I can hear the people to the North, and their children's high voices. I can hear someone above me rolling a bowling ball over and over it seems, and I can hear the next room talking. Yeah.. thin walls and bad restaurant. BAD deal.

Room Tip: I suppose if you climbed to the 3rd floor, you'd have less noise.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Florence hotels

port alberni, BC CANADA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

Stayed here with my husband and 10 year old son and loved it. It was perfect retreat after having spent two days on the road. Loved having the beach outside our patio door, and sleeping with the patio doors open. It was clean, linens were great, and bed very comfortable. It is far from town, and I wished I'd known that before getting there, if only to have stocked up on food and other necessities, but there's a restaurant on site, so all went well. Would love to spend a couple of days there next time!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Kansas City, Missouri
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

It is the only hotel in the Florence area located on the beach, the others are located within Florence, which is on the river. We wanted a hotel that was located right on the beach and that is what you get at Driftwood Shores! Our room and beds were very comfortable. The kitchen was stocked with what we needed and it was nice to have a full sized fridge and dishwasher. The pool was very nice, as was the whirlpool. Had drinks in the bar one night and breakfast in the restaurant one morning...friendly service and good food. We enjoyed our stay very much and the beach was beautiful. The rooms are not fancy, but they were clean and comfortable.

Room Tip: Our room was on the top floor and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Lugano, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

We stayed at this hotel during our tour of the Oregon Coast and we liked it.
As other reviewers noted the hotel is dated but still in good shape, the rooms are clean and the staff helpful. The walls are thin and it tends to be noisy, if you can choose a room un the upper floors and away from the elevator. Despite these downsides I still recommend it if you plan to stay there one night on your way on the US 101.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Florence
Old Town Inn
Comfort Inn
#9 of 13 in Florence
Three Rivers Casino Resort
Deane's Oceanfront Lodge

Been to Driftwood Shores Resort & Conference Center? Share your experiences!