“Outstanding”

Waterfront Depot Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 95 Restaurants in Florence
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: We feature. We offer a full-service bar with a variety of regional and international wines as well as a selection of exciting martinis and specialty drinks, like Bill's Flaming Spanish Coffee, to compliment your meal. From the sophistication of our house favorite, Crab Encrusted Halibut, to the cozy warm satisfaction of our burger and fries, you're sure to find a dish to fit your desires at The Waterfront Depot. We use only the best local, organic beef and free-range chicken in our entrees. Our skilled culinary staff prepares all our menu items daily, guaranteeing you the freshest, most flavorful experience on the Central Oregon Coast. Atmosphere. Nestled on the river's shore, we offer a warm, cozy view of the Siuslaw River and the Siuslaw River bridge. Summer dining cafe-style outdoors on our weathered patio seats you right at the water's edge. Year-round dining inside offers you a beautiful river view with an urban touch, a perfect place for winter storm watching. Our history. The Waterfront Depot is housed in the old Mapleton Train Station. Saved from demolition over 40 years ago, this historic building found its new home on the shore of the Siuslaw river a stone's throw from the Siuslaw River Bridge. The old train station's warm, classic qualities offer a perfect counter balance to the sophisticated, urban atmosphere I've created in The Waterfront Depot.
Reviewed July 15, 2013

The place was buzzing on a recent Saturday night We had a late 9:00 reservation, but had a seat at the bar and chatted with those enjoying their dinner barside while we waited on our table. The physical setting is spectacular, overlooking the river and the famous bridge that crosses it. The interior space is ultra tiny, and the kitchen is even smaller. The food, however, is the real reason to be here. We had a chicken parm served over angel hair pasta. Everything was perfectly cooked while the service was brisk, smooth, and not overly friendly. Even with a 9;00 reservation, we felt rushed to leave so the place could be cleaned. While waiting on our table, we stepped outside to snap some pics of the beautiful surroundings. It was a major setback to see two of the employees sitting outside enjoying their cigarettes while the restaurant itself was in major overload mode. Noting one of the smokers was the "bread cutter"
we opted not to eat the bread when dinner was served.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

Made reservations and forgot to ask for a window but we got lucky. We stood in the cramped entry way for a few minutes before our table was ready. I did like watching the kitchen staff at work. We had the crab-encrusted halibut and Caesar salad and ordered bread. All very yummy, considering how many of these dishes they must serve each day. The prices are so much more reasonable than in Astoria, Cannon Beach or Newport.

We'll be back!

Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

I really enjoy crab cakes not prepared with a heavy coating and old bay seasoning, so I figured this was the place to try. Night 1, they were the most delicate light lemon butter, melt in your mouth crab cakes I have ever eaten. Over the top 5+++stars. Even better than my favorite on the west coast- Alliotos on Fishermans Wharf. I had to go back the second night for more. I did, but the panko was thicker and it was over all heavier and more stuck together. Still quite good, but night 1 was far superior. I had these with a Caesar salad which was also 5 star. The German Reisling that others have made comment on was great and I will be purchasing it on occasion for home. Superior bar and hostess service. Good conversation with the bartender. I was by myself this trip so I was able to sit at the bar without reservations but you WILL NOT get in here without a reservation otherwise.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

We had a fantastic meal here of beautiful fish and shellfish starters and mains. We also enjoyed the wine and had lovely puddings too. The waitress was very helpful. The setting of the restaurant - just beside the river is great. We had a wonderful evening and can really recommend this place.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

The food was excellent and the service was very friendly. Imperative to make a reservation in advance as this is one of the most popular restaurants in town and always busy. The only downside was that they do several sittings so you are rushed through your meal and advised you have 1 1/2 hours for dinner. It was our anniversary and we would have liked to linger longer over dinner and wine.

1  Thank Karen L