“Our stay at Park Motel was delightful.”
Review of Park Motel

Park Motel
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed June 25, 2009

My 92 year old Mom, sister, and I stayed for two nights in one of the cabins and did not have one complaint. We've been on several road trips in the past year and rate this place on top of any other motel across the country. Can't say enough good about it. The owners are like Mom and Pop and are as accomodating as they can be.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family

Reviewed May 16, 2009

I stayed here two nights and had no problems. The check-in was pleasant and easy. The room wasn't big, but was adequate for one person. I didn't hear neighbors talking or TV's during the night so they must have been quiet.

I did hear the cleaning people in the morning as they worked on the room next door. One could almost make out the conversation and I'm assuming they weren't shouting. The walls in this place do seem to be quite thin.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed August 12, 2008

The Park Motel was recommended by cousins who live in Florence. We were looking forward to staying there. Their cabins have a kitchen and separate bedrooms for privacy. Therefore we specifically reserved a two-bedroom cabin for my husband’s mother and us, rather than getting two rooms in the regular lodge. Our two-night cabin reservation for early August was made in mid-June by phoning the motel. The motel doesn’t confirm by e-mail, but we had a written record of what we reserved, when, and with whom I spoke, just in case.

Upon arrival Tuesday 8/5 at 5 p.m. ready to relax after a long day, we were greeted by the host, who informed us she had moved us to a room in the regular lodge, one queen and one twin bed in one room, no kitchen, no cabin, all of us together.

Apparently, the previous day she accepted a reservation for one night for a cabin, and to accommodate this one-night request, our two-night cabin stay had been changed to one room which would have been unacceptable for the three of us if we had known about it ahead of time.

This was a bad situation for us, being stuck, and I had to go outside to cool off. (My mother-in-law -- who at 95 is independent and full of pep -- said in exasperation, “Let’s just go find a bar!”) Fortunately another motel was able to find us two rooms for two nights, barely, and by 6:30 we were resettled in the new place. (It was the Old Town Inn and we liked it fine.)

Now, I’m sympathetic to the pressure put on motel owners to accommodate guests with little notice at the height of the season. They depend on summer tourists. HOWEVER -- and the reason for posting this comment -- the Park Motel host said, “And I won’t charge you for the cancellation.”

We canceled nothing! They exchanged a cabin, with bedroom doors for two sets of mature adults, for a room you would use for two parents and a four-year-old. Sorry, way too casual for us – that’s referring to switcheroos with no communication.

Driving away, we saw their Vacancy sign was already lit.

Stayed: August 2008
4  Thank Codgers-R-Us
Reviewed September 26, 2007

I originally stayed there over Labor Day weekend. I arrived late and stayed in room 1A which had a couch. The room was very clean and I had no problems at all during my two night stay.

I loved it so much that I went back again on Sep 23rd and stayed in room 7. Only issue was that I could hear my neighbors talking as it seems like the beds are back to back on the wall. I imagine that's so the sound of the TV won't be an issue.

The rooms were always clean and were equipped with microwaves and a small fridge. Although I brought my own, soap and shampoo was provided as well as extra pillows, blankets, and plenty of towels. The walls were dark knotted wood and had everything you may need including a huge comfy bed and large TV. Another plus is that there are windows in the front and the rear. Something you don't see in modern motels.

The internet issue was a problem. The wireless in the area is Oregonfast which has little to no signal. You can plug into their broadband in the office as they have a little desk area just for that.

A few feet away from the motel is a restaurant that is open in the summer from 7 AM or winter 8 AM till around 2 PM. Ok food and friendly staff.

The motel is just South of Florence between a few large lakes and the river. Everything is a few minutes away from everything else so I don't know what the other person is talking about when they mention a ten minute drive to the dunes.

The owners were very very friendly to me on both visits. I will defiantly return next time I am in Florence.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank ErikJ
Reviewed August 8, 2007

We stayed there because when I looked on the map it seemed to back onto the dunes, but unfortunately the dunes are a ten minute drive down the highway. The rooms are small hunter style decor but seem to be nice and clean. We paid $90 which in my opinion is twice what it's worth. We could hear our neighbor's TV and snoring all night and it wasn't particularly loud. The cabins look cute so if we're in that area again we might stay in one of those.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank LadysmithTraveller
Reviewed May 14, 2007

TO: Bob & Margaret Killham-Hosts
The Park Motel
85034 Highway 101 South
Florence Oregon 97439
(541) 997-2634
As per our conversation today at 8:15 am, we are disputing the charges for the night that you are charging us on 4/11/07 because we never used the room; we never slept in the bed or used the TV or any other part of the room. We called your office at 10 pm to report that we had no hot water in order to take a bath. Bob said that we needed to hold the handle just right in order to get the hot water to run. After fiddling with the handle for about 15 minutes, we were unable to “get it just right” in order to get enough hot water to take a bath. Bob then came to the room and he wasn’t able to do much better as the water dribbled out. He said that is was an on demand water system that supplied 1 gallon per minute. We are all for conservation, but one thing a person pays for with a motel/hotel room is a hot shower/bath and a bed—everything else is superfluous. We told him that we were leaving and he said to leave the key in the box on the front slot by the office. We did so and moved to the Best Western down the street for the rest of the trip, of which we have the bills to validate.The last thing we want to do is change rooms at 10pm.
Since you are unable to provide any real customer service for this transaction, we are going to contact your owner, the AAA organization, the local newspaper, the local chamber of commerce, and the Better Business Bureau.
Surely if it were you, after a long day at the beach and golfing, you too would like to take a hot bath. This is unbelievable. We haven’t encountered this type of BAD business policy in so long we are astounded.
Joan & Rob Dudley

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank DayTripperBend
Reviewed April 15, 2007

We stayed the first night in one of the “studios” in the main building but it was less then comfortable. The neighbor’s TV could be heard all night and their talking all night too; it didn’t seem like they were talking particularly loud it’s just that the walls were thin. We moved to one of the cabins the next night and wow what a difference…that night was great! They are really just manufactured homes with rustic wood siding but the one I stayed in had 2 separate bedrooms and a full kitchen with pots, pans, & dishes. The staff was friendly and the room and cabin was very clean. Another part of our group stayed in the A frame, it was nice also but the other cabins are better.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple