“Windy, exhilarating, peaceful”

6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Windy, exhilarating, peaceful”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

We were just cruising up the Oregon coast to find something new. It was free because my husband has a Golden Age Pass, plus no one else was there. I love enjoying attractions when less folks are there, because I have days when I am moving a little slower than our visitors from big, busy cities.
Restrooms were average.There were flush toilets and sink to wash hands-Yay!
Some sporadic picnic tables.
The hiking trails are around 2 miles. If you like, just venture out to get some good looks of the windswept trees, all growing in the directions wind has shaped them. Don't miss little Lake Darlingtonia. ( I call it the tiny lake with the big name! ) There is a crystal clear stream/river and dunes rise up before the ocean, but not as steep as some of the ones from the southward dunes, kind of blended with small bushes and scrub. Informational plaques here and there will tell you where you are and who made it possible for the site to be saved for viewing. There is a viewing deck we stopped at for awhile and we sat close and snapped some pictures of the wind trying to get us. Certain areas are protected for nesting birds, and if you stick to the trail, they will come out and watch you carefully. " The Avian Protection Force ", ha ha.
We enjoyed a small picnic in our truck because of the wind, but then headed out onto another trail. This was a great stop.
( Note: I noticed when we went back the other day the fee box and envelopes for it were gone. I do not know if fees are still charged. Perhaps it is being replaced. )

Visited May 2013

hood river, oregon
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Interesting stop for a plant lover”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Stop and see the pitcher plants! The turn off is on the left as you are driving south. It is easy to miss so keep an eye out! They are so unique and it only takes 10-15 minutes to walk the little trail. It is worth it. You may never see anything like these in the wild again. Take the time to read the signs.

Grand Rapids, Michigan
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Stop to see the carnivorous cobra lilies!”
Reviewed June 27, 2013

This is a quick stop off Hwy 101 that you shouldn't miss! It's a short path through the trees to get to a boardwalk that steps into a bog of unusual carnivorous plants called cobra lilies. I've never seen this many carnivorous plants of one variety in one spot in the wild before. It's impressive and a serene location.

The walk is easy. I think it would be all wheelchair accessible, and I don't recall any slopes in the pathway. Take time to read the couple of signs that are posted in the park and explain details about the plants.

Don't trust your GPS to get there. Just follow the brown road signs. Here's a link to the state park website: http://www.oregonstateparks.org/index.cfm?do=parkPage.dsp_parkPage&parkId=81

It will only take about 15 minutes of your time to visit, and there is a park restroom available. This is worth the quick stop!

1 Thank vc812
Titusville
1,093 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1,309 helpful votes
“Take time to read the signs”
Reviewed June 2, 2013

This short path may be a tempting hit and run and leaving a bit disappointed unless you stop and read about the ingenious way these plants are formed to trap their prey. Reminds me of the Venus fly trap we have back east. I have added pictures of the sign that explains all of this for you review. the path is easily negotiated by everyone; however, after a shower be mindful of the green algae on the trail as it can be slippery. The boardwalk is in excellent shape and gives you a birds eye view of the plants. I recommend a stop here and take 20-30 minutes to see the small flowers blooming as part of the flower system. It is free, has bathrooms and is located just south of the Seal Caves.

1 Thank James H
Portland, OR
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Very cool plants”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

This little park takes about 15 minutes to see, but it is worth the stop. The cobra lilies are strange looking plants and make a great discussion topic for kids. There are a couple of signs talking about the plants which were interesting to read. It would be worth a stop in a month or two to see what they look like in bloom.

Visited May 2013