“Surprisingly excellent”

Homegrown Public House
Ranked #10 of 94 Restaurants in Florence
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood, Gastropub
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Featuring Northwest Food and Beverages, a full bar and unique menu at modest prices.
Washington
“Surprisingly excellent”
Reviewed July 5, 2013

We tried Homegrown Public House based on the recent TripAdvisor reviews and we are extremely glad we did. They're new but I certainly hope they become a permanent fixture in Florence.

The front of the building is more bar-like, but if you ask to be seated in the back room the atmosphere there is much more restaurant-style (and gets you away from the smokers outside the front door, which one reviewer complained about). The menu is not huge, but there's enough choice that everyone should be able to find something there. We had the Brick Chicken and the Grilled Pork Loin, and they were both excellent. Generous portions, perfectly cooked, served quickly, and accompanied by one of the best side dishes of vegetables I've ever tasted. This was a sautee of thin-sliced kale, fennel, shallots, and garlic in butter and white wine -- I asked the waitress to tell me how it was prepared because I was so smitten by it that I want to try to recreate it at home. It was absolutely delicious, and she happened to mention that they grow the kale in their own front garden. You can't get fresher than that.

We started off with an appetizer of local oysters on the half-shell; very tasty, though a little larger than the oysters we're used to eating raw. We finished by splitting a serving of their marionberry cobbler with vanilla ice cream. This too was delicious. All along the line, they did everything right with no missteps. The food is fresh, sustainable, beautifully prepared and presented, and delicious; the local wine was excellent; the service is friendly, competent, and efficient; and the owner's mother even came over to chat with us and ask how we liked our meal. Very highly recommended!!

2 Thank dudley2

Florence
“overcooked halibut, pricey for portion size”
Reviewed July 5, 2013

I went with friends for dinner. Two of us had halibut and we both agreed it was way overcooked. My friend told the chef's mother, who replied that is the way people here in Florence like their fish, and if we want it less cooked, we need to tell them so beforehand that we want it raw. The Waterfront Depot has always cooked their halibut perfect for me, so I didn't believe that's how "we" like our fish here. When my friend saw the chef later and told her that we didn't enjoy the food, she cried and asked him to have us all come back (no discount or incentive offered, just "come back and pay full price again for a shot at a better meal". I let my friend talk me into it. The next time I had a burger--thought that was safe. It was a great burger, but had very little in the way of things to go on it. It looked like a child's hamburger. It was expensive, and didn't come with fries, which I believe were around $6. They were great (with garlic) but dripping with oil/butter and they weren't served to me until after I was done with the burger (in their defense, it was only 3 or 4 bites). As we ate, we saw another table get served the same burgers, and the man looked shocked and disappointed when he saw the entree. Even though the food was better the second time around, it was not worth the high prices and I will never go back.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Lee W
“A Great Surprise”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We looked on Trip Advisor and decided to give it a try despite our distrust of new restaurants in Florence. The steak salmon and duck we ordered was cooked perfectly. The locally picked mushrooms,the pate and the Maryhill wine sample, as well as a few drafts our server brought us to try were fun, and made our surprise enjoyment of the meal even greater. I hope this restaurant is here to stay, I want to get used to the surprises.

California Desert, California
“Small and quaint restaurant.....”
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Formerly in the FEAST building, this "new" restaurant has taken oven. Although not on Bay street where you can either people watch or watch the river, this place has a nice ambiance to it.
The lunch menu has a great selection of appetizers as well as a lunch menu. Great daily specials, and not just one...but several along with VEGAN selections. Although I consider it pricey for lunch, food was plentiful and delicious. Portions are big. Large list of beers, sodas and other beverages to choose from. If it had a view, it would be a top contender to be the #1 restaurant in Florence.

Florence, OR
“Homegrown Food Is A Delight”
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Homegrown is an unpretentious pub-style restaurant that delivers on what it promises. Their philosophy is to present food and beverages that are as close to local and/or far from mass produced corporate products as possible. For example, no Coke or Pepsi is served, but there are plenty of other beverage choices including an extensive selection of beer and wine. After you sample their tasty greens, freshly made dressings, original soups and entrees you realize how good food can really taste. Kudos to the chef and staff for providing a unique and memorable dining experience. We have eaten at Homegrown for both lunch and dinner. The menu is creative and reasonably priced. For example, recently we had chanterelle bean soup preceding a very generous portion of tender prime rib. The prime rib was on special for fifteen dollars and included garlic mashed Yukon Gold potatoes and a side salad. The prime rib was nicely seasoned and delivered rare just as ordered. Delicious! Dessert options were peach pie, bread pudding and brownie sundae. We split the tasty bread pudding; it was rich and yummy. For a town its size, Florence has more than its share of unique and creative eateries. Many have moved from the typical coastal fried fare of fish and chips and hamburger and fries to more creative and healthy options. Homegrown is one of the best.

Visited June 2013