“need to update menu on website.”

Maple Street Grille
Ranked #7 of 94 Restaurants in Florence
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The new menu at Maple Street Grills offers a variety of American & Romanian traditional recipes. A cozy place located in Historic Old Town where you will enjoy the ambiance, hospitality and the food. We offer home-made Old World recipes like the Romanian Meatballs, Crab Cakes ala Europe, Dolmas (Stuffed Grape Leaves), Pork Schnitzel, Mici (Grilled Romanian Skinless Sausages) and many others.
Reviewed July 25, 2013

3 for dinner. Started with hoisin ribs (Touted as 3 ribs stacked high). Wanted to see how high 3 could be stacked. They were tasty and meaty but could have been cooked lower and slower as they had a thick layer of fat in them. I had what they called a shrimp pasta (which it technically was) with cavatappi (double bend macaroni) and cheese with 4 shrimp on top. I was unfamiliar with cavatappi and had always called it spirelli. It was cooked properly and was tasty but not what I expected. Wife had mussels which were floating in too much sauce with big hunks of sausage in it. It was served with a nice hunk of baguette but not enough to even touch the sauce. There were 3 that didn't open. That is understandable but the fact that the cook served them to us is not. Third party had trio of sliders and liked them. We looked at the dessert menu on the web and my wife had decided on bread pudding with bourbon sauce and I wanted the chocolate custard with a biscotti. Waitress looked at us like we were crazy. She said "we used to have a bread pudding but that was ages ago. They had apple crisp. coconut cake and rum cake. We ordered 1 of each. Rum cake was a basic bunt cake with a hint of rum flavor and no icing. Coconut pineapple cake and apple crisp ala-mode were good. Service was OK. Nothing special. They serve water in very small glasses and we found that the majority of time one or more was empty. Waitresses were busy and friendly but a larger glass would have made us happier with the service. Overall it is one of the better places in Florence and I would not try to talk somebody out of going there but it is not the best. The best is usually too busy to get in.

There are newer reviews for Maple Street Grille

Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

We had an enjoyable, late, mid-week lunch. Our food was well prepared and original. Our server was professional and friendly.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

My husband and I had an extended vacation (2 wks) in Florence and as usual took many of our restaurant recommendations from Trip Advisor. Sadly, we did not experience Maple St Grille's good ratings.
We arrived with no reservations, but gladly took outdoor seating as the restaurant was inexplicably warm.
Before continuing with my review, let me say that in my younger days I not only waited tables, but also bartended for several years. I know that more often than not, very slow (and I mean very slow) service is usually not the direct fault of the server, but I do expect acknowlegement from the server or better yet a manager-type to apologize for the delay. My husband and I can be very forgiving and patient as long as we have a drink in front of us.
Our server managed to get our drinks to us, but took the order from us1 at a time (?). Mine was a glass of wine and my husband's a scotch. My first hint that this small restaurant was running on less than good business practices was when our server brought a partial bottle of savignon to our table and proceed to pour at least half of the bottle into my glass! I know it seems counter-intuitive to complaint about a large drink serving, but it only warns me of poor bar/food practices.
Our meals arrived a full 45 minutes later without 1 single visit to our table to acknowledge the delay. Regardless, I will say the much delayed crabcakes were some of the best I've ever eatten, but my husband's seafood pasta would have rated only average even if it had not been needlessly smothered in sprinkled parmesan.
We will not return to the Maple St Grille - there are too many other good restaurants in Florence to fill up our 2-wk stay. Even good food can't make up for bad service and/or management.

1  Thank GoldenTamarin
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Ate here mid-afternoon on the 4th of July.

Staff was great, stopped by to check on us often. Might have been the owners based on the way they were teaching other staff, but our experience was good.

They had some specials for the 4th, if the Kielbasa with grilled condiments shows up on the menu, get one (loaded!)

Reviewed July 13, 2013

We thought we found the perfect place. All started our great, greeted, nice menu and friendly waiter. Then for crab cakes came:( They were high on cake short on crab. No one come to our table ask how our meal was or to see if we needed anything. The ice tea was never refilled. When the server came to clear our plates, we let her know that we were disappointed. We did say that the salad, dressing and dipping causes were very good. After she left we could her relay our comments to the manager. We could also hear him say that they were 99% carb. He then brought a plate of the cakes from the kitchen to show us we were wrong. Others in the dinning room overheard him. Then while he was at an other table a customer announced that he made delicious crab cakes. We had a very unpleasant dinning experience.