“What a pleasant surprise!”
Review of Kelly's Cantina - CLOSED

Kelly's Cantina
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: A relaxing atmosphere on the Siuslaw River. Comfortable, non traditional patio furniture that encourages you to sit back and relax as if you are truly on vacation. Even the locals feel as if they have had a break from everyday life!
Lompoc, California
“What a pleasant surprise!”
Reviewed September 16, 2012

My only complaint about this innovative little restaurant is that even with reservations, we had to wait an hour for our table. It's a very tiny place overlooking the Suislaw River in Florence, Oregon having maybe 8 - 10 tables,all with a great view of the river.
What made up for the wait was the amazing food prepared by an exceptional young chef with no professional culinary schooling. This guy should be on the Food Network!
My Crab Cake Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms were baked to perfection and my husband still talks about the Pan Seared Flat Iron Steak with chipolte mashed potatoes. Despite being called a cantina, there was limited Mexican food except for fish tacos and pork carnitas. But what they do serve is an artfully and innovative menu all prepared by one, yes one, talented chef that I bet will reach the top in his profession.
If you are ever in Florence, don't miss Kelly's Cantina.
Reservations a must, open daily for lunch @ 11:30-3:00, dinner 4 til ?.

• Visited August 2012

Portland, Oregon
“Maybe it was an off night”
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Based on the reviews on Trip Advisor, we made reservations at Kelly's. We were highly disappointed.

Pros
Great location right on the water. Nice view.
The room itself is handsome.

Cons
The food was poorly prepared. My companion's lamb shank, in particular, was disappointing: dry and bland.

Although this was probably not the restaurant's fault, the place was virtually deserted on the Saturday evening of Labor Day weekend 2012. Old Town Florence was hopping and Kelly's was almost empty. It was a little depressing. Maybe our timing was off?

Conclusion: This place seems to be popular with a menu that appeals to many travelers. Maybe you'll have better luck then we did. Please post a review if you have a better experience.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank JoseSchwartz
“Crab mac and cheese? This is your place”
Reviewed September 7, 2012

A great window seat never hinders the dining experience; the dinner portions were just right but if you're starving, maybe have an appetizer. Wife and I shared crab cakes and crab mac and cheese that was LOADED with more succulent crab than cheese.

Florence, Oregon
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very Good”
Reviewed September 5, 2012

The service was friendly and prompt. I ordered a Pear Garden from the bar that was good, no skimping on ingredients. I had the lamb shank which was tasty and my daughter had the carnitas tacos which were outstanding. A very good experience all around. Oh, and a beautiful view from the windows of the Siuslaw river front.

• Visited September 2012
Los Angeles, California, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Big Let Down”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I heard good things, so I brought my Mother and we were so dissapointed. The food was overpriced, and very substandard. The salad looked like nobody even bothered to clean the vegetables or bother to cut them. Big carrot on top with yucky sking on it, and shrimp not cooked still opaque. It was so bad we will not even give it a second chance!
sorry!
signed,
I love Florence but not this eatery!

• Visited April 2012
redheadedmermaid, Owner at Kelly's Cantina, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
I am very sorry you found your meal to be lacking. Customer satisfaction is my highest priority! I take pride in what comes out of my kitchen. I wish you would have let us know there was a problem. I would have been more than happy to correct the problem. If that was not exceptable, I would certainly have not charged you for your meal! If ever you are in Florence again, please give us another try, let me buy you lunch!