“brilliant”

Sandland Adventures
Ranked #1 of 7 Tours in Florence
More attraction details
Owner description: Experience the Oregon Dunes and Family Fun Park at Sandland Adventures. Offering tours of the dunes since 1987, our professional drivers will show you a great time while you travel across an impressive natural wonder of endless shifting sand. You will also experience unique tree islands, various wildlife and the spectacular Siuslaw River. Choose an exhilarating dune ride on our Sand Rails or a relaxing tour on our Giant Dune Buggies. Our one hour tours also include traveling down our Pacific Ocean Beach. Large or small groups can be accommodated on either tour. For those who prefer speed and excitement, try either a half hour 10 mile tour or an hour 20 mile tour. These 7 to 10 passenger Long Travel Sand Rails have over 20” of suspension travel and plenty of horsepower to take you on an exhilarating ride. If you prefer a slower pace, enjoy our interpretive Giant Dune Buggy Tour with many picture opportunities. Informative, scenic and fun describes this one hour dune buggy tour covering approximately 8 miles of dunes and 2 miles of ocean beach. Climbing and descending through the most beautiful, impressive dunes will be an unforgettable experience.After your dune ride, you can bump and splash on our Bumper Boats, race on our Grand Prix style Go-Kart Track, play a round of Miniature Golf or take a ride on the Cloverline Railroad. We are located less than one mile south of Florence on Hwy 101.
Victoria, Canada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“brilliant”
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Highlight of our trip! I thought it was amazing! The sand dunes themselves are spectacular! I was worried going on the fast thrilling 30 min ride as I get kinda scared on fast things......but I decided to give it a try as I knew how much my husband wanted to try it. I loved it! It was so much fun! Mike our driver was excellent. He made sure we were all doing ok and comfortable. He even made a stop and took pictures for us. It goes fast and bumpy, so I wouldn't do it if you get motion sickness but other than that....it is a definite must do. So exciting! My husband wants Mike's job. It is well run and very busy! We didn't have a reservation but they had a spot for us within 1 hour because there was just the two of us, so it worked out. I would advise you make a reservation. I was worried about leaving the dog in the car, but where you park to get on the dunes is very shaded with tall trees, forest like and secure. You do get sprayed with sand so keep your mouth closed and wear a warm hoodie. A great experience that I can't wait to come back for....highly recommended!

1 Thank LandN5960

• Arabic first
Muscat, Oman
63 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 105 helpful votes
“Mixed feelings”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We visited recently and were really looking forward to the activity. I chose not to go on the dune buggy as I am not into roller coasters and feared that I would get sick. The rest of the family chose the fast paced 30 minute ride which was very organised and professional. The staff member Mike took time making sure everyone was securely fastened in their seats and went over all the safety requirements as well as equipping under 18 's with helmets and goggles for everyone else. Do wear layers as it can be windy and the sand gets everywhere. He even equipped our oldest daughter with a sick bag just in case she was sick!!!My youngest daughter loved the whole experience. Living in Egypt we have done quite a bit of desert driving as well as sand surfing and quad biking so she was very impressed. Hubby thought the set up was excellent and was impressed with Mike and all of that bit. Unfortunately both hubby and daughter were both sick when they got out of the buggy and had felt unwell when on it. As such their whole experience was marred by this. This was in no way a fault of the staff, it is a risk with this type of activity. However be warned if you do suffer from motion sickness I would seriously consider the slower more sedate ride. Mike did all he could to ensure both family members were comfortable and provided water etc and did comment that this was the first time he had two people unwell on the one ride. Unfortunately though both felt unwell the rest of the day which is a shame. So in conclusion a very professional set up, well run and enjoyable for the majority of folk, but for those who do suffer from motion sickness this could knock the stuffing out of the rest of the day through no fault of the tour operators!! However Mike well done on the experience for the youngest!!

1 Thank providence
Hong Kong, China
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Took a week to get all the sand out my ear!”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I booked this because my husband found it online and said he wanted to try it out, and I (very naively) believed that it would be like off-roading, on sand. I was wrong.

When we got strapped in, our driver (Buddy) said "you guys all like roller coasters?". I generally hate roller coasters, but it was too late to back out now, and I was somewhat comforted by the fact that my husband was sitting behind me, and he would be the one covered in my vomit should the worst happen.

It was amazing, terrifying, exhilarating and happily free of regurgitation! My stomach got (somewhat) used to all the jostling, and it was SO MUCH FUN! I'm glad I didn't know what I was getting into, because I would have chickened out, and missed out on one of the highlights of our trip.

Tips: 1) You reach up to speeds of 65mph and will get blasted by sand and wind. So when they recommend you wear long trousers and long slevees...do it! 2) The 30 minute tour is the one you want for a thrill ride! My husband told me this one was 'a bit faster'...this is an understatement, to say the least. 3) Make reservations. We made reservations, but arrived 2 hours earlier than expected, and there were no earlier slots available.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Scoops81
Calgary, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Sandland Adventures Total Rip Off Policy”
Reviewed July 17, 2013

My wife and I were looking forward to a tour through the sand dunes at Florence with Sandland Adventures today but unfortunately I was stricken with a sudden and serious intestinal illness and being out in the dunes and miles from any washroom facilities was just not an option. We cancelled knowing that their policy was no refunds, but thought that under the circumstances they might relax their policy, at least if someone else booked our spot, or alternatively allow us to reschedule to another day. Their basic response was not a chance. I might be able to accept the no refund policy if they can't get a replacement (something I have no doubt they were able to do) or we declined to go on another day. But the manner in which their policy is applied is in my mind result is tantamount to theft - definitely a rip off for sure. I would recommend taking your business elsewhere, with a more cooperative operator. I know we will never visit Sandland again and will be recommending the same to everyone we know.

6 Thank Jan S
Darla H, Owner at Sandland Adventures, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear Jan,

I'm sorry that you feel the way you do about our policy. If we have someone who is unable to come on short notice, we always do our best to fill reserved seats. Most people don't assume the worst about our company and will usually give us a call back to see what we were able to do before writing a review. If you would check your statement you will find we did not charge your credit card and were able to fill your seats.

We are not the company that you describe in your review as pride ourselves on the quality of service and entertainment that we provide. It would be greatly appreciated If you would change your review to reflect accurate information.

Darla
Sandland Adventures
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
85 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 86 helpful votes
“Dune Buggy Rides”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

We took a Sand Rail dune buggy ride with Dan ( a great driver). There were 8 people on the sand rail. It sits low to the ground.
It was 4th of July weekend, so we were happy that we had made reservations ahead of time. I would recommend you call and make reservations if you know when you will be there and if it is a busy time of year.
After you pay, you need to drive to a closeby different area for the actual ride. Wear long pants and long shirt and prepare to get sand in your face! They will give you goggles and the kids goggles and helmets.
A fun, wild ride! One half hour was plenty for us. We sometimes get motion sick, so that was enough!

1 Thank Vacatrip1