“Nice place to stay with friendly staff”

Best Western Pier Point Inn
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Florence
Auburn, California
“Nice place to stay with friendly staff”
Reviewed April 3, 2013

We were pleasantly surprised at how nice our room was. We stayed in #460, which was quite private, though the restaurant was over us. Good during all hours except closing time (about 10 pm to 11 pm), when tables were slid and things were banging during their clean-up, which woke us up for awhile. Front desk staff was all very friendly. Carrie was wonderful! She seemed to try hard to make our stay pleasant. Full breakfast in the morning (omelettes, waffles, biscuits and gravy, fresh fruit and the usual fare) is included, which was a real surprise, and it was quite good. They bake chocolate chip cookies throughout the afternoon. Our room was lovely and clean. The bed was comfortable and nice. And our partial-view room offered a fine view of the bridge and the river. Be aware: for some reason, they lock the door from the rooms to the lobby during the night and don't open it until 6:30 a.m., which we found weird. When I went to the lobby to get hot water for tea at 6:15 a.m., I was surprised to find I was locked into the guest section of the hotel. (There is an exit door that leads outside only and requires your room key to get in.) In all of the hotels we have stayed in, we have never seen a hotel lobby that locked its guests out of the lobby. A motel, ok. But a nice big hotel with a nice big lobby, weird. They said they did it to keep guests from asking for breakfast too early. Put up a sign, rope off the breakfast area, but leave the door from the rooms to the lobby open. Other hotels do it this way. I also wanted to use the lobby bathroom so I wouldn't awaken my husband in our room. The front desk clerk came to the locked door after I knocked loudly on it and asked, "Can I help you?" I felt a bit odd having to ask to use the lobby bathroom so as to not awaken my husband and to get some hot water. I was told that on our second night, they would leave the door unlocked for me. When I arrived at the door at 6:15 a.m., it was locked! And again, I had to ask to use the bathroom and get hot water. By the third night, they had the door unlocked for me, and told me they had done it because they knew I would be there. That was nice of them, but we still think it is an odd practice. Locking the front door is one thing, locking the guests' access from the hall to the lobby is another. All said, it was a nice hotel, the staff was nice, the breakfasts were great, and we loved the new restaurant upstairs for dinner (Bay View - see our review). We would stay there again,and might stay in #460 as long as we went to bed after the restaurant had closed up for the night.

Room Tip: Stayed in #460 - nice and quiet during all hours except about 10 pm - 11 pm when the restaurant over...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RomanticAuburnites
ORDaisy, Owner at Best Western Pier Point Inn, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Dear RomanticAuburnites:

Thank you very much for leaving such a thorough review of your stay with us. I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay and enjoyed the room. Also, thank you for mentioning Carrie as she is an amazing employee who deserves special recognition. I really do appreciate the candid feedback regarding the policy of having the lobby door locked in the early morning. I will be discussing this with our management team to see how necessary this is as the last thing we want is to inconvenience our guests because of a hotel policy that may not even be necessary. I agree that it is an odd practice as you were in the interior portion of the hotel and the lobby should be open to you 24 hours a day. I do apologize for the inconvience and we will be making some changes in our procedures based on your review. Thank you!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

Wondering if we would have picked this hotel if not for its great location by the river and the bridge. But no access to the river or bridge. The lobby staff was friendly but the breakfast staff was not; felt like we were a burden to the breakfast staff; no facial reaction whatsoever from any of them on any of the days.

The rooms were well furnished; but the toilet flush handle was broken when we arrived and the smoke alarm battery died waking up all of us at 4am in the morning. Other than put on a cheerful face, the staff didn't do anything to make it more pleasant for us.

The pool was fun for the kids but was on the smallish side.

• Stayed April 2013
ORDaisy, Owner at Best Western Pier Point Inn, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Dear A4TA:
Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback. I first want to apologize that our breakfast room staff were not friendly and made you feel like a burden. It’s very disheartening to read this as our staff as a whole generally provides excellent customer service. We really do appreciate you letting us know what occurred and we’ve already met with that department to discuss your feedback. Also, I am very disappointed to hear about the maintenance issues in the guest room. I regret that you were woken up by something that was completely preventable on our end. I do want to note that there most certainly is access to the bridge from the hotel. Many of our guests walk over the bridge into town when they stay with us. I wish we had taken care of the above issues before you left, as it’s a failure on our part to have a guest leave unsatisfied. Thank you again and please consider giving us another chance in the future.
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Carrie, Tyler and really the whole staff from maintenance housekeeping and management are excellent and we stay at many motels! Would recommend over any other! We had the option of staying in a Hotel with a view of the ocean but chose this hotel instead because of their friendliness and hospitality and willingness to make our stay comfortable!

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank MisArmstro
ORDaisy, Owner at Best Western Pier Point Inn, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Dear MisArmstro:

Thank you very much for taking the time to tell travelers about our wonderful team members. Carrie and Tyler were very excited to see that you mentioned them on TripAdvisor. It means a lot to them and to our management team that you took the time to write about members of our staff. We are very proud of our team and we hope you will be back to stay with us again soon.
Hope, Canada
Reviewed March 26, 2013

We were staying at the Best Western (Piers Point) in Florence, Oregon on
March 11. At about 830 in the evening, the neighbours started to get really
noisy. We endured it for about 30 minutes, but then I decided to phone the
front desk; I figured that if we had paid for a room, we were entitled to
some quiet. I am not a compainer by nature, but the noise was bugging me.

So, with much trepidation, I phoned the front desk. The girl I got was, I
think, named Carrie. She was really open to my complaint, and assured me
that I was not being a crank by being concerned about the noise. She
assured me that some action would happen.

I hung up the phone, and said to my wife, "Well, I guess that is all I can
do, other than go next door and throttle the people." Within three minutes,
I heard Carrie, (I hope that is her name!) knock on our neighbour's door.
She spoke SO sweetly, yet firmly to them, and mentioned in SUCH nice tones
that there had been a complaint, and that would the noise now stop, please
and thank you.

She then said good night to the people, and wished them a nice evening, and
left. Her manner was so polite and wonderful, I guess the noisy neighbours
were helpless to do anything but obey her entreaty. We heard not a peep
from them from that moment onward until about nine o'clock the next morning!

About fifteen minutes later, Carrie then phoned our room, and asked, "Are
the noisy neighbours now quiet?" I was so impressed that she followed up on
things for us. We said, "Yes," almost told her we loved her, and then went
to an undisturbed, dreamless sleep.

I believe this employee deserves a raise in pay, a basket of fruit, a
bouquet of flowers and some fine wine. Her service to us was exemplary, and
she made us want to go back to that hotel - which we just might do next
Spring Break. (I am a vice-principal in a school charged with the
discipline of students; believe me, I needed my rest during my holiday, and
her intervention on our behalf made me realize my goal of relaxation!!)

Thanks again for letting me spout off about our great experience. It was
wonderful for us, and consequently, I am telling all who will hear that the
Best Western in Florence, Oregon, is THE place to stay.

Very sincerely,

Peter Flynn

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Peter F
Dear Peter F:

Wow! What an incredible review of your stay at our hotel. As a management team, we are so proud of Carrie and very grateful to have her working with us. She does an amazing job everyday and we know we are very lucky to have her working with us. Thank you so much for telling your story online as well as leaving us a 5 star review on TripAdvisor. Again, thank you for the awesome review and Carrie will be recognized for her stellar service. Please do come to stay with us again next time you are in Florence.
Vancouver
Reviewed March 23, 2013

What a wonderful hotel with excellent staff that smother you in friendliness. My family and I stayed a couple of nights here and wish we would have stayed a couple more. From the warm chocolate chip cookies to the best complimentary breakfast I've had and the view from the breakfast room is amazing. The only cons I have is that most of the rooms are only accessible from outside, so getting to the pool you must go outside and the back through the lobby. Also, the fridge in our room was right beside the bed which made it a bit noisy. We had a room with a view..it was great sitting in our room and watching the river. The staff are amazing...I wish I got their names when we checked in since they made our stay the perfect one.
The location of the hotel is close to old town and the dunes which made it easy to get around. I can't wait to visit Florence again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Justwon88
Dear Justwon88:

Thank you very much for your wonderful review. Our team really appreciates your nice comments. We also appreciate your feedback regarding the fridge. Our team reads all our online reviews regularly and takes the feedback seriously. Please do come back and stay with us again in the future.
Richland, Washington
Reviewed March 22, 2013

My wife and I stayed here 2 nights and loved it. I read the reviews before I went and found them to be true. The girl at the front desk was extremely helpful and friendly as was the staff that serves breakfast. The breakfast was outstanding considering the price of the room and the location was great. This is right down the road from sandland adventures and just across the bridge from Old Town. If your going to Florence I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Adam99354
Dear Adam99354:

Thank you very much for reviewing out hotel on TripAdvisor. We really appreciate when a guest takes the time to leave feedback online. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your two night stay with us and that the online reviews you read prior to your stay were helpful in choosing our hotel. I am also very pleased that you felt the price for the room was fair considering the outstanding breakfast and gorgeous view. Again, we appreciate your business and hope that you will stay with us again in the future. Thank you!
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

This is a great hotel. From the very first time we walked in, each staff person we encountered was so pleasant and helpful. Nothing was too much to ask, always with a smile. The service here is exceptional, the rooms nice and clean. Breakfast was way beyond expectation, with an omlette bar! Yummy! Fresh baked cookies on checkin, free wifi, pool that isnt muggy and echoey. What's not to like? I wish we came to Florence more often so we could stay here again!!

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank JMS75
ORDaisy, Owner at Best Western Pier Point Inn, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear JMS75:

Thank you very much for leaving a review of our hotel. As the hotel owner, I am so pleased to read about the great work our staff is doing. Our team takes a lot of pride in giving the best customer service on the Oregon Coast. I’m also very pleased you enjoyed the breakfast, cookies, your room, and the pool area. Again, we really appreciate you sharing your experience at our hotel with other travelers. Please come back and stay with us again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Florence
Old Town Inn
Best Western Salbasgeon Inn & Suites of Reedsport
River House Inn
River House Inn
#1 of 13 in Florence

Been to Best Western Pier Point Inn? Share your experiences!