“Free Night Stay”

Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Florence
Oregon
“Free Night Stay”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We used our free night coupon at this hotel after staying in various Best Westerns in California. I would gladly pay $100 per night to stay in this room but no way would I pay the online price of almost $200. The rooms are nice enough, the bed was comfortable, and the view was lovely. I liked the breakfast and the pool and hot tubs were especially relaxing. I know it is a seasonal rate so if you are going to stay there wait until fall or winter.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
Modesto, California
Reviewed September 3, 2012

This is the only Best Western that we have ever stayed in that assess a $30 fee on your credit card **up front** instead of WHEN, or IF someone makes long distance calls during their stay from their room, or hauls off with some of their belongings. Another heads up that though quite accommodating in many ways, this site is currently undergoing renovations to their exterior. This site has multi-levels and there are no elevators, which will be an inconvenience for seniors or handicapped. We are awaiting reimbursement of our $30 and in the meantime, they have our money. We found out about the charge by accident. There was no mention at check in or check out, but we noticed a small sign and questioned the charge. Had we known this up front we would not have stayed at this site. There were many other local options equally as nice or better. But we are long time BW members. Because of this up front charge we won't be going back again to this site. The one super plus here was their breakfast offering.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
ORDaisy, Owner at Best Western Pier Point Inn, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Dear modestotravelers:

Thank you for bringing my attention to your issue at the hotel. Unfortunately I think there is a misunderstanding as we DO NOT charge any up front fees. The process of a hotel placing a request for authorization of future hotel charges on a guests’ credit card is quite common in the hotel industry. We do not hold your funds, it’s actually the credit card company that holds your funds and the hotel is only paid for the amount of your actual charges at the hotel. I believe due to the holiday weekend, your credit card company may have held the authorization for a day longer than usual but I’m sure by the time you receive this reply the authorization has been released by your credit card company. We do not have control of how long this process takes. Nevertheless, please call Tasi at our front desk (541-997-7191) if you need any assistance with this process. We regret that the authorization process was confusing and this type of feedback is allowing us to look at our practices to see if this may be something we need to change as we want your stay to be wonderful and stress free. Thanks for the feedback and I’m very glad you enjoyed your breakfast.
Lacey, Washington
Reviewed September 3, 2012

First, to the reviewer who felt the room was slanted toward the river - you are right. Our whole room definitely slanted downward. When you walked from the window wall toward the front door, you were climbing. I mentioned this to the manager and she said that yes, it is slanting "but it passes inspection each year." We never had a problem with it - other than the odd feeling of staying in a room where the floors slant downward - so I guess it wasn't too dangerous. As far as the hotel - it was a very average hotel and the prices were high. But when I compared the prices with the other area hotels, well, everything else was really tacky and still expensive. I think it's just that the businesses in Florence have to make their money in the few months of summer -so if you want to stay in Florence...this is the best of the lot. The view of the river is lovely. The breakfasts were very generous and they had cookies in the evening. We found the staff to be very friendly. Had no problem there. Just don't get your expectations up that it will be like a hotel in Portland. This isn't Portland and so the hotels aren't going to be at that standard.
Be aware - no elevators. You have to lug your suitcases (or down) steps.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed August 31, 2012

If a Best Western in small-town Oregon that looks like a cross between a military barracks and an Alaskan outpost is to have the same rate as a swanky, historic 4.5 star hotel in Downtown Portland, either A) It's the best damn Best Western in the world or B) There are hardly any other options in the area. Sadly, I must report that the case is B).

That's not to say it isn't a decent hotel - the rooms are large, modern, and nicely appointed with upscale bedding. The staff are friendly. And every room is oriented towards the river - providing for spectacular views for those not obstructed by bushes. Warm cookies in the lobby and free HBO are always much appreciated. Maybe, just maybe, these traits alone with no flaws would make me feel good about paying almost $200 per night.

However, it was immediately apparent that the carpets in both rooms needed a deep cleaning - and at some places the walls (near the corner of the rooms) were a bit suspect. The breakfast area was cramped and crowded, with the omelette station providing the additional service of making your clothes and hair smell like cooking for the rest of the day. Access to almost every room necessitates stairs, and there is no elevator on site. And as a send-off present, an electrical plug literally exploded in my face with such intensity that it broke the wire of the lamp. Taken together, these niggles absolutely did not help my efforts to justify the price.

Despite the stay itself being somewhat lackluster, the Pier Point Inn is worth consideration due to its location. Convenient to Florence's beautiful historic center (3 minute drive) and sand dune recreation facilities, it simply can't be beat for the area. Now all it needs is some serious competition to push the rates in line with the experience!

Room Tip: Some lower rooms risk having their views blocked by bushes.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
ORDaisy, Owner at Best Western Pier Point Inn, responded to this review, September 2, 2012
Dear Infiniti:

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. Thank you for being honest about your experience and I appreciate the feedback regarding the price. Our rates are mainly based on season and occupancy as well as the fact that we provide a higher level of amenities than hotels in our market. Again, I appreciate hearing your thoughts and I hope you'll consider staying with us again if you're in the area. Also, if you would like to reply to me directly I would like to know which rooms you were in (I can find this by your last name and date of stay) so that I can make sure the items you mentioned have been addressed in those rooms as we strive to have our rooms clean and well maintained at all times. Again, thanks for your feedback.
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Wonderful location with beautiful views of the bayfront. The room was lovely, clean, and huge with a great bayfront view. The indoor swimming pool and hot tub were clean, comfortable with great views of the bayfront. Breakfast was included and offerred omlettes and make your own waffles. The restaurant view of the bayfront was special. We would stay here again in a heartbeat. Also, they make fresh cookies throughout the day for your pleasure!

Room Tip: Ask for the best view of the bayfront.
Dear TravelExperiences1:

Thank you very much for your awesome review. Obviously, we love to see that we have met and exceeded a guest's experience at our hotel. We really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with other travelers as it shows the management and staff of our hotel that their efforts are noticed. Thank you again and please come and see us again when you're traveling the Oregon Coast.
Reviewed August 25, 2012 via mobile

We had a lovely time at this hotel. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We brought games to the lobby to play with our children one evening, and there was a large noisy group in the lobby. A front desk worker opened a meeting room up for us to use, and even turned on the fireplace for us - without us asking at all. The room and the breakfast were both solidly in the 3-4 star range, and overall a good value for the money.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank edenandlevi
Seattle
Reviewed August 24, 2012

We rented two rooms for one night during our vacation. One of the rooms was sold at a view price; the room had a view of the blackberry bushes. The other smelled as if it had been used by a smoker. The carpets at the hotel are well worn and dirty. Beds were comfortable and the bathroom was ok; there was mold in the tile grout. The breakfast is good. The front desk personnel at the hotel rarely answer their phones. The heater in our "view" room was not functional; when I called to have that taken care of, I had to ring the desk MULTIPLE times before it was answered. It took over an hour to have the heater reparied (it was after 10:30 pm when it was finally fixed). I had two kids uder the age of 10 with me who had to be kept awake until they took care of this issue. The customer service agent at the front desk could not care less!

In short, stay here if you have to. This place lived up to what i remember Best Western to be years ago. We gave it a shot; the one we stayed at in Garberville, CA was FANTASTIC. This place was mediocre.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank hshah1
Dear hshah1:

Thank you sharing your feedback about your stay at our hotel. Obviously, it's beyond disappointing for me as an owner to read a negative review but it's important that I and my management team find out what went wrong with this stay. Your title says it all and that's what I am addressing. We strive to go way beyond a guest's expectations and that did not happen for you and I regret that. One thing that you mentioned that really struck me was that the customer service agent could care less. If you could email me directly and share any other specific information regarding your stay (i.e. dates of stay and your last name) it would help me in my investigation. Again, thank you for your candid feedback.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Florence
Old Town Inn
#5 of 11 in Yachats
Le Chateau Motel
Le Chateau Motel
#12 of 13 in Florence

Been to Best Western Pier Point Inn? Share your experiences!