“great location... pleasant property.. clean and comfortable.would recommend highly.”
Review of Valley River Inn

Valley River Inn
Ranked #6 of 38 Hotels in Eugene
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 14, 2014

great location ..loved the bike path and thought the restaurant was excellent..the riverview rooms are suggested . business center was great for running boarding passes for travel. the staff was very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: riverview room suggested
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends

Reviewed July 14, 2014

Traveling with my 2 granddaughters, the one requirement for us was a nice pool. The Valley River Inn delivers this in spades. The large outdoor pool is available 10-10 and the water was comfortably warm (although the air temperature was not). My only complaint is that the pool towels are more like tea towel size, but that is not a major issue. The beds were so comfortable and the room size is quite large. There is what appears to be a large bar/restaurant in the main lobby. It would seem that this is a place which can accommodate the business traveler, the event participants (weddings etc.) and family groups with small kids (me). I don't know that I'd want a pool facing view if noise were an issue what with all of the splashing and laughter going on until potentially 10pm. Our room was ground floor facing parking and we couldn't have been happier. Desk staff were quite friendly and it seemed to me that they were a bit overworked as the line at check-in moved a bit slowly with only 1 (very polite) desk staff on duty. I would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: We loved the convenience of ground floor and the east of having our vehicle right off the room patio...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank dumoyer2
Reviewed July 13, 2014

I was very happy with our stay at this hotel. Reservations were effortless and check in was a breeze! Very friendly front desk personnel. I was a bit "concerned" going up to the room - the outside of our building and the hallway were (for a lack of a better word) eeewwwww!!!! But the room was pretty great!! Very large and nicely tried to be updated. I would recommend staying here and will be back!

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 12, 2014

Upon entering the hotel for the first time, I was somewhat apprehensive as it smelled "old." However, the rooms have been refreshed. Whew! There is an upgrade charge of $20 for a river view, and it seemed there was a charge for everything. They have bikes to checkout, for an hourly fee. Considering the per night charge of the hotel, I felt the bikes should be complementary, as they are at many hotels. The location is good for shopping, as there is a mall basically in the same parking lot. The river trail runs right past the hotel for easy access to recreation. Although we may stay here again, we would try another hotel next time.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 12, 2014

I've traveled to Eugene on business for over seven years now; initially I tried a couple of other "big brand" hotels and as usual was disappointed. I tried the VRI and have not been anywhere else since. I love the location, the funky 1970's disco charm, a good restaurant and bar. The rooms are dated but large by today's cookie cutter hotel standards - I appreciate size. And, they are quiet. Why anyone would stay on the highway in tingy chain hotel dump of a room is beyond my imagination - but, those seem to flourish and I must be dated too. Stay here you'll love it.

Room Tip: Stay on the riverside not the parking lot side and get a room on the ground floor or ask for the &qu...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 11, 2014

My family and I stopped in Eugene to visit family and stayed at the Valley River Inn. For fun with the kids, we decided to rent bicycles and ride along the river. We found a well priced and very accommodating company online that offered to deliver our rented bikes to the hotel we were staying at!

When the bikes arrived, as we were getting our seats sized for the young kids a maintenance worker and the hotel manager showed up and began pointing at our bikes, showing displeasure. When we asked if there was a problem, that's when the manager exploded.

He pointed to the bikes stating that he didn't know about the bikes, that he was required to know about the bikes, that they were a liability to the hotel, that by being there they created a bad image for his hotel, that he personally didn't like the bikes there. The gentleman renting us our bikes tried his best to convince the manager that he does this all the time with other hotels and that it has never been a problem. The manager explained that THE HOTEL rents bikes. We explained that we didn't know that and the manager pointed to a sign at the front door (50' away) and sarcastically stated that there was a sign at the door. It was only when we promised we would remove the bikes from the property as soon as possible that he and the maintenance worker left us alone.

After they left my 7 year old daughter buried her head in my arms, crying because it was her fault that the man yelled at us.

I cannot think of what the manager was trying to accomplish by making a scene with us right then. If he was unhappy he could have had a private conversation at a later date with the dealer to work out a future relationship. All I can think of is that he was mad because the bicycle dealer did a better job at marketing bike rentals than his reservation team? Not to mention the hotel had no childrens bikes for rent.

At no time did he think (or care) to ask if we were guests in his hotel, but his attitude certainly left a lasting impression.

Other comments on the hotel are that my assistant made the reservations for me by driving to the hotel the week before and finding a room number she thought we'd like. When we checked in they didn't have that room available stating that we didn't ask for the room NOT to be moved. Huh?

We paid extra for the concierge service. A very well done service. I've never had to pay extra for it before, but it was a small fee so we didn't think twice.

Finally, this is an older, remodeled hotel. They have done a great job as far as remodels go. Flavia coffee makers in the rooms, flat screen TV's etc. I wish they had enough creamer and sugar to go with the coffee packets they had left in our room for us.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
8  Thank David G
Reviewed July 9, 2014

Thank you so much for the wonderfully relaxing and romantic second honeymoon!!! My husband and I couldn't have been more pleased with your exceptional accommodations on our stay. I definitely will be back, encourage others to stay there, and give my thanks to everyone that made our visit beyond exceptional. Thank you!!! : )

• Stayed: July 2014