“Loved it and will be back”

The Valley River Inn
Ranked #4 of 34 Hotels in Eugene
GreenLeadersSilver level
Oregon
“Loved it and will be back”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

I've heard about this hotel for years, but never had the privilege of staying there until now. It is classic and somewhat dated, but still very nice. We had a room overlooking the river, which was great. There is a walking trail between the river and the hotel which would have been perfect if we hadn't had a downpour while we were there. The location is very convenient, near a great group of restaurants and stores, and easy to get to downtown. I look forward to coming back in the summer, using the pool, and walking along the beautiful pathway.

Room Tip: River view is my preference!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sassysteph

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
Westbury, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2014

This was my second stay here this year and I was pleased with everything about the stay. The staff was friendly at check in. The room was spacious, clean and quiet - I didn't notice any noise from the road or from the halls or other rooms (as I have in other Eugene hotels). I suppose the beds aren't the most comfortable I've ever encountered, but they were adequate. The decor is tasteful and it's convenient to coffee, shopping and restaurants. There was a coffee maker in the room but no refrigerator. I didn't get a river view room, but the view of businesses was offset by the pretty trees in front of the door (I really didn't use the balcony anyway). It's an older hotel, yes, but as Eugene hotels go, I like the charm and the location is nice on the river - just 5 minutes to downtown.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2014

On business trip for a couple days, stayed here and found the staff excellent, the views of river very nice and was upgraded to a nice suite upon check in. The drawback was the bedroom back wall was the stairway common wall and it was loud when people were walking down it starting at 4AM. Didn't sleep well at all with earplugs. Light sleepers should look for top room near center of buildings. Room was nice, bed was comfortable. Noise was the issue.

All in all I would try it again and get a room far away from any stairs.

Room Tip: 212 was room with back wall against stairs..
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Palm Springs, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2014

I had 2 priorities before I booked my room. Internet access and a work out room. Both of these amenities are inadequate at the Valley River Inn.
The hotel staff will tell you when you book your room they just upgraded their internet however in my room #623 the internet access went from connected to limited to no internet available.
The workout room is more like an air conditioned closet. There are 4 cardio machines and all in one thing that was not adequate. No free weights or anything else.
So if you need internet or a real work out room you may want to book somewhere else.

Room Tip: Stay away from the 600 rooms if you want internet or make sure you room has a direct connect to your...
Green Features: Very good. The room I was in has a trash bin and a recycle bin.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2014

This was our second stay at Valley River Inn. The staff is great and the service wonderful. I asked for an extra blanket at 8:00 P.M. and by 8:15 I was snug as a bug in a rug. The river view rooms are, as advertised, worth the room rate. The concierge floor provides a great breakfast. Thank you Chris for a wonderful breakfast! The hotel is well located to be out of the business district but within five minutes of everything. We will return. Downside: the place is beginning to show its age. Mid-twentieth century may have its charm but it needs a face lift. The towels are a bit thin. The beds tend to list toward the side most slept. The sliding glass door to the patio could use a bit of engineering and screen repair.

Room Tip: Third floor overlooking the river.
Green Features: Would work great if the towels were worth drying for a second day!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Medford, Oregon, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2014

The toilet wouldn't flush so we had to call the front desk to come fix it. The heater/air conditioning unit would make the loudest noise all night (like a lawn mower) even when turned off. Pillows are horrible. Comforter was horrible. Would not stay at again. I'd rather pay an extra $30 to stay at the Hilton.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Nichole S
ValleyRiverInn, General Manager at The Valley River Inn, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Thank you for your recent stay with us, and for taking the time to share about your experience. I was very disappointed to see that everything was not in proper working order in your room. This is definitely not the typical experience of our guests. Please be assure that I have followed up on what you noted so that the deficiencies’ were quickly corrected.

We hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you when you return to the area. Again, thank you for your feedback, we rely on this information so that we can always continue to improve.

Warm Regards,
George Rogers
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2014

Initial experiences were not pleasant: Upsale at check in, noisy, heater that will not heat, had to repeat my request a few times for a quiet room. By mistake, I booked the same place again for the third time. Luckily I met Jackie Bandy, who was thoughtful and kind. She noticed I took the shuttle to the hotel and initiated to ask if I need to reserve a ride back to the airport. When I told her the time and that I was not feeling well, she kindly asked if it would be helpful for me to check an hour later. Her suggestions were sincere. Even asked if I needed room service for dinner, and pointed out available computer if I needed for flight check-in. The stars lined up. I had a very good stay. All the shuttle drivers, Mike Grillo, Mike (the part-time musician), Jake etc were great. Since then, I stayed there many times.

No it is not perfect. Small inconveniences like finding hair in the bathtub, smell in room, no fridge or microwave, no complimentary toothpaste or toothbrush available when I forgot, coarse toilet tissue paper,an old sunken mattress, all became more bearable after I met more of the wonderful staff. Rachel Edwards, Hans and Michael handles the front desk professionally. Nathan and another evening engineer that I met, though busy, patiently listened to my problems and solved them to the best of their ability. Maintenance staff were friendly.

When locking the door, I have to remember to turn the upper knob correctly. This knob indicates if I am requesting for room service. The bottom is the actual door knob.

Room Tip: If you have allergy to animal dander, don't stay on first floor.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank R L
Thank you so much for staying with us at Valley River Inn, and for your feedback! What a way to start the teams day, sharing your feedback with them put smiles on faces, and reminded the team, that what they do matters, and they can make a difference.

Thank you for pointing out so many of our associates by name, it really makes their day to see that. I did reach out the departments that oversee the areas that required assistance while you were here to ensure those got corrected immediatley.

We look forward to serving you again when you stay with us.

George Rogers