“Nice Hotel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Spokane, Washington
“Nice Hotel”
Reviewed January 19, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for two night for the Civil War. I had read reviews ahead of time so I already expected that we would not be able to check in until after the game. The front desk staff was very accommodating though and held our luggage for us until we got back later that night. We originally booked a Concierge King Room with a River View, but they had some mix up earlier in the night so they upgraded us to a King Suite, which was very nice and spacious, the walk-in shower was also a nice touch. Having the Concierge package was definitely worth it. Breakfast was good, waffles and coffee was I all needed (but they also had fruit and breads). The evening happy hour was also nice, and the concierge kept the drinks coming :)
The location of the hotel was great, walking distance to the mall and restaurants nearby.
We also utilized the complimentary shuttle (when we arrived-from the airport, and when we left-to the train station). Great experience overall!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LaceyBee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
San Diego, California
Reviewed January 12, 2014

We were originally given a room without a refrigerator and microwave. We asked for same, and the Front Desk upgraded us to a King suite with a refrigerator and microwave. Very nice of them to do that. The property itself is somewhat old an really needs upgrading, however the rooms are quite large. We had a room overlooking the water which was nice but there is a train that runs every 30 minutes 7/24 so bring your ear plugs (the Front Desk has them as well). The hotel staff did everything they could to make our short stay (one night) a pleasant one.

Room Tip: Ask for a room as far away from the train tracks as possible.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 7, 2014

I admit I was a little worried about making last minute reservations at the Valley River Inn in Eugene for New Years Day . But it was a VERY pleasant experience! I was impressed by Jackie and the time she took to put me at ease. She was thoughtful , considerate and very sweet to listen to my requests and then gave me several suggestions that I didn't know were available. The room was wonderful and it had a beautiful view of the river just as she promised ...and breakfast the next morning at their Sweet Water restaurant (also with a river view ) was a terrific way to start the day. I have already told other friends and family . Thank you Jackie!

Room Tip: Ask for Jackie
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
oregon
Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

Had a king studio on the first floor facing the river. Room had been updated. We were there for the New Years Eve package to see the Satin Love Orchestra. Overall the experience was good. Price seemed a bit steep at 249.00 which included king room, SLO party, and Brunch.
ROOM: clean, comfortable, bed linens and couch updated. Bathroom tiles, Carpet, and woodwork need updating. Thin walls so could hear neighbors easily.
BRUNCH: wide selection. Omelet and waffle bar, prime rib(nicely prepared) and turkey, small but quality cheese selection, seafood cocktails were taken up a notch with avocado and spices. Smoked salmon was moist and wonderfully seasoned. Dessert bar had pies, petit fours, breads which were average quality. The service was attentive.
SLO was fun 70's disco music. Entertaining to watch and dance to. Great sound.

Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

We were in town for just a few days and decided upon this place. Couldn't be more central to restaurants and shops. Very easy driving access and that helped with holiday traffic.
Rooms were vast for the king size room and prices as comfortable as the rooms.
No need for us to ever search for another place. This quick stay from a Thursday to Saturday anchored future choices.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

For years, we've been staying at the Valley River Inn when we are in town, several times a year. We were pleased to see a renovation a few years ago, which greatly enhanced the experience. However, over the last six months, the concierge floor breakfast has been closed more times than not, and the towels have become so worn, I'd complain if they were at my local gym!

Although the hotel offers restaurant vouchers for a VERY mediocre breakfast buffet, it's simply not the same as the convenience of having coffee and a continental breakfast on your own floor. If I wanted to dress and go to a restaurant, I wouldn't ask for the concierge floor. Additionally, we found out that the conceirge lounge is closed the vast majority of the time. So why wasnt this explained to us when we made the reservation?

Instead of just closing the concierge floor, the hotel might better consider increasing the cost of staying on the floor and seeing if customers are willing to pay the fee. There aren't many options in Eugene. However, if the quality of the basics (linens) doesn't improve and the conceirge floor doesn't return, we'll be returning to the Hilton.

Winston, Oregon
Reviewed December 26, 2013

This is about the fourth time we have made a reservation at the Valley River Inn for the New Years Eve party with Satin Love Orchestra. In the past I have always had to call and check myself on the reservations for dinner and brunch the next day that I wanted. This year the front desk person Monica did such a wonderful job and read my requests, called and made the asked for reservations and let me know that she had done so and everything was set for our arrival on New Years Eve! How wonderful to have some someone so efficient handling things! Now all I have to do is put my "dancing shoes on":)

Room Tip: Higher floors have less noise when people are in their rooms.
Green Features: I am all for "green" practices and appreciate hotels that do their part.
Stayed December 2013, traveled with family