“Disappointed!” 2 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Roseville, California
“Disappointed!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

My husband and I have stayed here when we visit family that lives in and around Eugene and have found it to be more than satisfactory and well located for our visits. This time though, we were really disappointed! We found used towels in the closet, a used towel on the sink; there were black curly hairs on the shower- we both have straight gray hair. I was not sure the towel I used after my shower was clean or not but consoled myself that if it had been used before, at least it was to dry a clean body! We were not sure if the bed had been changed given the condition of the rest of the room. Housekeeping did come and remove the used towels when we called and asked for new towels. The hotel was repairing/replacing the roof during our visit. I am disabled and they gave us an accessible room but there is no handicap parking anywhere near the room given to us. At checkout, my husband asked for some consideration as a result of having to stay in a less than clean room and was told he would hear something in 2 weeks. That was a month ago and he still has not heard from the hotel. Sadly, we will need to find another place to stay when we visit family the next time.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Beth C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
Ogden, Utah, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

My husband and I were traveling up to Eugene with our 7 y/o Lab/Shepard dog. It was important for us to find a hotel that would allow our dog to stay with us. We opted to stay in a riverside room with the concierge service. We often will opt for the concierge service at most hotels especially if they offer free cocktail service which Valley River does. When we checked in we were just able to hit the end of the dinner service so we grabbed a few bites to eat but since we only had about 10 min left it wasn't much. However, the bartender offered to make us some extra large drinks to bring back to our room. The selection of alcohol wasn't very expansive, but it was enough to have a nice drink. Since we had the dog, my husband stayed in the room with her while I brought the food and drinks back to our room. The bartender in the concierge lounge made up the drinks and also have me a tray to make taking things back to the room very easy. It was these little details that we very much appreciated.

Upon checkin to our room we had no problems with the front desk. Our room was on the first floor with a sliding glass exit to a patio and grassed area. The room had a cute little doggie basket with treats and doggie bags. The room was a good size with a nice king size bed. We had a comfortable couch with a nice size tv that we could swivel to watch from the bed or couch. Having a river walk outside the room wasn't a problem, we couldnt hear anyone outside and the curtains allowed for our room to stay bright but we felt concealed from the walkers.

Since we got to the room a bit late we decided to eat at the restaurant inside the hotel. For a hotel restaurant it was wonderful. We didn't want to leave our dog in the room, so the restaurant allowed us to sit on the patio and have her tied up near our table. This worked out perfectly. My husband and I had a few mojitos which were made out of local ingredients. We started off with the Dungeness crab chowder which was very tasty and perfect on a chilly evening. I ordered the Mac and Cheese, it was ok, but I'm not a big fan of roasted vegetables but for someone that is I'm sure it would have been awesome. My husband had the ribeye sandwich... We kind of split it since I was picky with my Mac and cheese. The sandwich was amazing!

On our last night staying at the hotel it was a holiday and the concierge lounge was closed for the dinner service. There was a sign on the door directing us to go to the front desk for vouchers to sweet water the hotel restaurant. We received 2 cocktail vouchers and 2 entree vouchers up to 10.00. We ordered everything from our room and since we were so close and I went and picked it up so that we could watch the Stanley cup playoff game that was happening. We got our 2 cocktails and ordered the Crab and Cheese Fondue, It was amazing and not to be missed!

All in all it was a great stay, I'm sure if we go back we will definitely stay here again. The staff and service was top notch, someone always welcomed us when entering the hotel. The only down side was there wasn't a designated dog potty area which would have been a nice touch. But with the grass outside our room we had no problem finding a place for our dog to go at. We highly recommend this hotel for its price, location and services.

Room Tip: The river view rooms were beautiful with easy access to the river and grassy areas for the dogs to g...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ValleyRiverInn, General Manager at The Valley River Inn, responded to this review, September 7, 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to share feedback on your recent stay at Valley River Inn. It looks like you were able to take in many of our amenities while you were here. As you mentioned, the concierge lounge is a great feature and worth the upgrade.

Of course one of our best features is being located right on the Willamette River. It is especially convenient for those travelling with pets. We warmly welcome our furry companions in our first floor rooms.

I have shared your feedback with the team, and they appreciated hearing your comments.

We look forward to having your and your pet stay with us again.

Portland, OR
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

I attended a class reunion in Eugene that was held at the Inn, and while I appreciated the convenience of staying where the events were held, I was a bit disappointed with the accommodations. The room I stayed in had a nice view of the river (I upgraded from the standard rooms being held for the attendees) but it was very dark and dreary. It looked to me like the colors had been selected for the purpose of concealing soil and wear. I was there on a sunny, summer weekend; it must be really dark on a rainy winter day. And, yes, it really rains there in the winter. The hotel is in a very good location, adjacent to the Valley River Shopping Center, and right on the Willamette river, but a renewal effort on the rooms would really help. Lighten it up! Make it cheerier!

Room Tip: Ask for a river view room, and if you are single woman like me, make it on the second floor. A bike...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Coos Bay, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

My family has stayed at the Valley River Inn in Eugene many weekends over the last seven years. As always Becky greats us like we are family and not a client. It's great to be treated so well all the time.

Room Tip: Stay in a concierge room, the service is outstanding
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your continued loyalty to Valley River Inn. Also, thank you for recognizing Becky! The team truly enjoys seeing their name on reviews. It keeps them motivated and lets them know that what they do does get noticed, and makes a difference. It is because of our great associates, and guests, that we are celebrating our 40th anniversay in 2013.

We look forward to seeing you again when you come back to Eugene, and Valley River Inn.

Medford, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

OK, from the good, to the bad, to the ugly, in that order:

Concierege Lounge, "Chris" - Great employee, hopefully management knows this.
Location - great, easy access from freeways.
View - great view, on the river side.
Front desk service - solid. Very good.
Amenities - Another good mark here, restaurant's food good, concierge lounge great.
Room - average.
Room's cleanliness - average to slightly below average.
Restaurant service - below average, although wait person just might have been new or untrained. She was pleasant however.

Above is the short and sweet rundown. I so wish Management would make the following improvements, which would help so much:

Housekeeping....it's the little things that count! And these little things are FREE. Like making sure fingerprints are wiped clean on the glass sliding door, or make-up mirror. Like cleaning the ton of spider webs and cob webs from the balcony seating area. Like cleaning the cob webs inside the room in the crevices of the glass slider door. Or cleaning the dropped toothpaste drippings off the carpet from the previous guest. Heard of Oxy Clean?

Restaurant....maybe more training of waitstaff. Food was good, service lagged. When asking a question about the wine list, the waitress should not respond 'I don't know, I don't even like wine'. She was pleasant enough of a person, but having a limited knowledge of the wine list should be mandatory for any restaurant at this price point. Not expecting a wine somelier here, but.......come on.

So there you have it. I still like the VRI....many good memories over the years from staying here. But still so much improvement could be made. Even with the recent remodel. Yes, things were freshened up with new carpet, wall coverings, and some furniture pieces. But there is plenty of the "old" VRI that they choose to keep around too. It would have been nice to see a complete renovation.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for staying with us during your visit to Eugene, and for recognizng Chris in the Concierge Lounge. As you mention, he is truly an asset to our team and our culture.

We appreciate your feedback regarding the other areas of your experience here with us. The deficincies you noted in your room are absolutely unacceptable, and I apologize that you encountered that. We pride ourselves in our service and cleanliness of our hotel. I have shared your feedback with both housekeeping and the food and beverage departments. your comments have been very helpful in training not only the seasoned team members, but also our new associates. This type of feedback is very effective and helpful for us to continue to improve and grow.

Thank you for your continued patronage, and we look forward to seeing you again.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

A very welcoming place with great service and a good lounge/restaurant. We a hospitality room and the servers there provided simply tremendous service. The fitness room and the pool were open at good hours as well.

Room Tip: Try to get a river view.
Green Features: They lived up to what they said were their practices.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to share feedback about your recent stay at Valley River Inn. We are happy to see that you enjoyed yourself while you were here.

We know you have choices when you travel, and look forward to continue being yours when your travels bring you back to Eugene.

Central Point, Oregon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

Overall the stay was ok on Wednesday August 28th, and the room was clean. I did notice a stale smell in the hallways. We stayed on the second floor facing East, so not facing the river (South). the only problem we encountered was with the outdoor pool. It was later in the evening and my pre-schooler and I decided to take in a bit of pool time before ending the night. We were the only ones in the pool. the hot tub was occupied with a couple folks. We spent about 15 minutes in the pool, which was a bit cool. there was very little chlorine smell, and it was a bit cloudy. the smell was a bit 'off'. Later the next day our child started getting a pretty bad rash, which we believe was "swimmer's rash", and I got "swimmer's ear". She is fine now and it is going away (five days later). It is possible it was caused by something else, but all the criteria fit.

I learned a lesson from this and will now ask when the pool was last checked before jumping in late in the day. I do hope that this was an anomaly and that the property does check the pool regularly during the day / evening.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view if possible.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family